Question on Princess Platinum Protection

I have a 7 day Alaska cruise booked that departs Aug 24 in a solo cabin, tagging along with a friend and some of her family members. My final payment is due on 5/26. I did not purchase trip insurance yet as I am using some Princess credit and only had to pay a modest deposit so far. I just found out that someone in the group received a very recent and unfortunate medical diagnosis. I will know more detail on Monday (still prior to final payment) about her prognosis, and perhaps more thoughts from the rest of the group about the likelihood of going ahead with the cruise. My friend has already made her final payment and hopes the group will go but who knows what will actually happen.

My question is, if I purchased the Platinum Protection now, and then make my final payment, can I really cancel for any reason? It looks like the button to select/purchase it, on the Princess site (I booked through Princess BTW) will enable me to get it but I didn't actually try it. Maybe it's too late?

My other thought is to cancel the cruise in the coming days and maybe book anew as it gets closer if it looks like she will be healthy enough to travel.

I've done this itinerary before and while I'm looking forward to it, I won't be heartbroken if I have to cancel. It would be preferable than losing money. I'd appreciate any thoughts the insurance question.

I’m sorry that I don’t know the answer to your question but I’m bumping it back to page 1. Hopefully someone will be able to respond, I know it’s an important situation for you. 

My understanding is that you can buy the insurance up until final payment. You can cancel for any reason but what you get is future cruise credits, not your money back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks to both of you 🙂  A future cruise credit would be acceptable.

And I just found this on Princess.com

Princess Vacation Protection can be purchased while booking your next cruise vacation on princess.com, by contacting your travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or on Cruise Personalizer. It is available for purchase up until final payment for your trip on all Princess Cruises, Princess Cruisetours, Princess Alaska Land Tours and Princess Canadian Rockies Land Tours, and is available at two levels: Standard or Platinum. Princess Vacation Protection is not in effect until the plan cost has been paid to Princess in addition to any required cruise deposits or payments.

Edited by Elizabeth K.
adding more info
  • Like 1

You would be cancelling for what is probably a non-covered reason, since the medical condition is a pre-existing condition at the time you purchase the insurance. This would probably prevent you from getting a cash refund. But you would definitely get the future cruise credit for cancel for any reason. Note that the credit would only cover expenses you paid to Princess (including EZAir) - not expenses you paid elsewhere. The credit would by for 75% of the cancellation fee - or 100% with Platinum Vacation Protection. Also you would not receive future cruise credit for the cost of the travel insurance.

The future cruise credit will have an expiration date the end of the year after it was issued. For example, my FCC with an Issue Date of September 26, 2022, had a Sail by Date of December 31, 2023. Note that this is a "Sail by Date" - not a "Book by Date".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can cancel for any reason. The normal cancellation penalties would apply and the insurance would reimburse for those. The rest Princess would refund to the the source of payments. If you used gift cards, they would put the money back on the gift cards. Your only loss would be the cost of the insurance.

• Like 1