Nicaragua, sorry not sure where to post this question

CPs4591

Mods, feel free to move as I can’t seem to find where to post.  
we’re on a Fall cruise through Panama Canal, LA to FLL.  One of the stops is Nicaragua.  Noticed today on the news tensions seem to be increasing between US and Nicaragua, new sanctions imposed, etc.  I know many cruise ships stopped going there for awhile.  Is it likely this port stop gets skipped?  It will make a heavy sea day cruise a bit more on sea days.  Anyone steer me in the right way to research?  Semi-newbie, haven’t been on a big ship cruise in 20 years.  TIA

You won't be going to Nicaragua.  Princess hasn't stopped there in at least 4 years and I have no idea why they just don't delete it from future itineraries.  

• Like 5

Go to the State Dept travel site and see what level Nicaragua is at. We skipped it a few years back due to unrest over retirement plans. Felt sorry for out bartender who was going to be able to go home for a “conjugal” visit😃. Tendering is sometimes not able to be done if rough

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, suekel said:

You won't be going to Nicaragua.  Princess hasn't stopped there in at least 4 years and I have no idea why they just don't delete it from future itineraries.  

Thanks, why the heck do they still keep it on the itinerary?  Not only that, they list excursions.  Baffling! 

Edited by CPs4591
Addition

We skipped it in April on the EP. We were notified way in advance. I wouldn't plan on it if I were you. We did not get a replacement port, just made it a sea day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some of the upcoming Panama Canal itineraries now include Puerto Quetzal (Guatemala) or Puerto Chiapas (Mexico) instead of San Juan del Sur (Nicaragua).

The Emerald made a stop in San Juan del Sur on January 9, 2020. We must have been one of the last Princess sailings that stopped there, more than 4 years ago. Then came Corona. Then came political unrest.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

How do I find out the exact TRUE itinerary?  Even their list vs their map says two different things.  The map says it stops in PV (and also Nicaragua) and the list says Manzanillo.  I mean who knows the TRUE itinerary?  Seems like the phone agents will just read what I read.  Ideas? 

9 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

How do I find out the exact TRUE itinerary?  Even their list vs their map says two different things.  The map says it stops in PV (and also Nicaragua) and the list says Manzanillo.  I mean who knows the TRUE itinerary?

The images are often not accurate.

What is in the list will be the planned itinerary.

1 minute ago, EDVM96 said:

The images are often not accurate.

What is in the list will be the planned itinerary.

Except apparently Nicaragua, lol!  The list has that still on it.  I asked my TA too but she’s halfway around the world right now and don’t want to bug her.  I would, however, like to start figuring out some more excursions.  So any tips on finding out what are REAL itinerary is?  TIA

1 minute ago, CPs4591 said:

Except apparently Nicaragua, lol!  The list has that still on it. 

Yes. For Princess this is still the planned itierary.

That's why you can book shore excursions there.

Although it is most likely that San Juan del Sur will be cancelled.

I would not book anything there first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

We’ve been there once and had a great tour!

I also had a great shore excursion there, with a stop at Lake Nicaragua, Apoyo Lagoon with a view of Mombacho Volcano, Masaya Volcano with its redhot lava lake and a nice lunch in Granada.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

Mods, feel free to move as I can’t seem to find where to post.  
we’re on a Fall cruise through Panama Canal, LA to FLL.  One of the stops is Nicaragua.  Noticed today on the news tensions seem to be increasing between US and Nicaragua, new sanctions imposed, etc.  I know many cruise ships stopped going there for awhile.  Is it likely this port stop gets skipped?  It will make a heavy sea day cruise a bit more on sea days.  Anyone steer me in the right way to research?  Semi-newbie, haven’t been on a big ship cruise in 20 years.  TIA

It is most likely that Nicaragua will be cancelled and replaced with a sea day. That decision may not be made until closer to the sailing. If you want to do something there, I’d be sure to only make bookings that can easily be cancelled. This is an example of a port where I might limit myself to ship excursions. 

Edited by Torfamm
Typo

9 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

LOL! That's quite the route deviation!  😄

That would be a remarkable adjustment to the itinerary! Thanks for the heads up on the typo 😂

Thanks all.  So again, mostly newbie question: did we already pay port fees for that stop and if they change to a sea day will they give us the credit on the ship?  Sorry just a semi-newbie.

4 minutes ago, CPs4591 said:

Thanks all.  So again, mostly newbie question: did we already pay port fees for that stop and if they change to a sea day will they give us the credit on the ship?  Sorry just a semi-newbie.

Yes, you will generally get a credit onboard.

• Like 1