Flytoget to Oslo Central Station to hotel

Thinking of using  the train from the airport to Oslo central station.  Our hotel is Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion.  The walk doesn’t look too bad, can we do this with suitcases?  Are there any hills?  Ty 

we took the train and did a similar walk .... it is totally flat. Only problem I had was getting my bearings for directions. And a wee bit of traffic in immediate vicinity of the station . . 

Hint, use google maps or earth and 'street view' ... you can 'walk' your entire route virtually!!!image.thumb.png.d367a86c3af58cbfaf70a4277dfaf778.png

53 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

we took the train and did a similar walk .... it is totally flat. Only problem I had was getting my bearings for directions. And a wee bit of traffic in immediate vicinity of the station . . 

Hint, use google maps or earth and 'street view' ... you can 'walk' your entire route virtually!!!image.thumb.png.d367a86c3af58cbfaf70a4277dfaf778.png

Thansk,will  do that.  Train looks simple.  Do you  take your bags with you, or do you have to check them?  I see a print your luggage tag feature on the website,  that is confusing.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, milolii said:

Thinking of using  the train from the airport to Oslo central station.  Our hotel is Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion.  The walk doesn’t look too bad, can we do this with suitcases?  Are there any hills?  Ty 

The Flytoget trains are very easy to use and, in my opinion, the best way to get from the airport into central Oslo.  I used the train both directions a couple weeks ago.  I purchased my tickets in advance on the website.  I could not get the phone app to work from the US.  But there were also self-serve kiosks to buy tickets if you prefer.  With a valid ticket, you just scan it as you enter the train platform area.  It’s well signed after you leave secure part of the airport.  If you are taking the return trip from the city to the airport, you scan the ticket as you leave the train upon arrival at the airport. 

I just kept my luggage with me.  There may be some other service that I did not use.  But most people seemed to have their luggage with them on the train.  There was ample room to store it in the car with me. 

Upon arrival in Oslo, the walk is easy and flat, as long as you can manage your luggage.  

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Coming from the airport, you can just swipe a credit card at the ticket gate and choose your destination on the built-in screen. However, I think you might need a card per passenger in that case. If that’s not an option I’d just use the ticket machines to buy the ticket.

You can also take the regular Vy trains into the city, since they take essentially the same amount of time and are considerably cheaper. They depart from a different track that doesn’t have a ticket gate, so you just buy tickets from the Vy machines instead (if you don’t want to use the Ruter app). The disadvantage is that there are only three trains per hour, and they don’t run as early and late as the Flytoget. We usually wait u til we arrive and look at the departure board to decide which service to use.

I’m both cases, you take your luggage with you on board. There are some storage areas in certain parts of the carriage. The information about printing luggage tags is for departing passengers. They can print the luggage tag for their flight en route to the airport instead of using the check-in kiosks at the terminal.

As for the walk, it is relatively flat with decent pavement. Upon arrival at the Oslo S train station, once you leave the platform, from the central station hall in front of the departures board, continue on in the same direction away from the tracks to reach the main exit. There’s a plaza of cobblestones, but there is a flat sidewalk around the outside if you have wheeled luggage. Cross the tram tracks and turn left (on Fred Olsens gate). After you pass the stock exchange (light colored building alone in a fenced block) you’ll need to make a right on Rådhusgata and then a left on Skippergata to reach the hotel.

we had one rolling bag and small back pack each. Kept our bags with us ... there were racks on the train but everything stayed in sight. Bought tickets from the machines with a tap VISA

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 7:00 PM, kaisatsu said:

You can also take the regular Vy trains into the city, since they take essentially the same amount of time and are considerably cheaper. They depart from a different track that doesn’t have a ticket gate, so you just buy tickets from the Vy machines instead (if you don’t want to use the Ruter app). The disadvantage is that there are only three trains per hour, and they don’t run as early and late as the Flytoget. We usually wait u til we arrive and look at the departure board to decide which service to use.

I'm looking at the vy.no website. Do I understand that a ticket from the airport to Oslo S will also get me the tram to my hotel (Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret) if I don't wish to walk it?

I was looking at the Oslo Pass, but I need transportation for 4 days and I'm not sure that I would use the pass enough to justify the cost. I think that I will get a 7 day Zone 1 ticket (which is cheaper than 4 24 hour tickets actually cheaper than 3 24 hour tickets), and not feel that I have to get my money's worth from the Pass.

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I'm looking at the vy.no website. Do I understand that a ticket from the airport to Oslo S will also get me the tram to my hotel (Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret) if I don't wish to walk it?

I was looking at the Oslo Pass, but I need transportation for 4 days and I'm not sure that I would use the pass enough to justify the cost. I think that I will get a 7 day Zone 1 ticket (which is cheaper than 4 24 hour tickets actually cheaper than 3 24 hour tickets), and not feel that I have to get my money's worth from the Pass.

In the Oslo area, Ruter and Vy have an agreement. If you’re going to be buying a 7-day zone 1 pass, I would plan to buy it using the Ruter app upon arrival and then just pay for an extra-zone supplement for the Vy train in from the airport, rather than buying a wholly separate ticket.

If you’re at the Clarion Folketeatret, you can take the 11, 12, 17, or 18 tram one stop, but if there isn’t a tram coming right away, it’s only a five minute walk. The 11 and 12 depart from the stop directly in front of the station, but the 17 and 18 are across the street over in front of Clarion The Hub (a minute or two closer to Folketeatret).