A question for anyone who had sailed Oceania and a ‘ship within a ship’

Vallesan

We sail Oceania, Silversea and Seabourn but would like to sail with our grown up children and 8 year old granddaughter.

Mobility issues stop me from sailing on huge ships so we thought a ‘ship within a ship’ might be the answer…. we could have the quiet, relaxed Oceania atmosphere once we were onboard but there would also be plenty of activities for our granddaughter.

So for those who have sailed ‘small luxury’ and ‘ship within a ship’ please let me have your opinions about which line might be the best fit for a ‘family’ trip if any!

3 hours ago, Vallesan said:

We sail Oceania, Silversea and Seabourn but would like to sail with our grown up children and 8 year old granddaughter.

Mobility issues stop me from sailing on huge ships so we thought a ‘ship within a ship’ might be the answer…. we could have the quiet, relaxed Oceania atmosphere once we were onboard but there would also be plenty of activities for our granddaughter.

So for those who have sailed ‘small luxury’ and ‘ship within a ship’ please let me have your opinions about which line might be the best fit for a ‘family’ trip if any!

They really don't have actives for children on the ship.  The fact is it is rare to see children expect during the holiday's and maybe Alaska during the summer you may find a few kids.

@Vallesan I had to read your post a second time to make sure I qualify.  Here is my experience.  Luxury or Premium-Plus: I sailed on Oceania Riviera for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise November 2023.  I sailed on a Crystal Cruise Ocean Ship for 7 days before they got sold. Ship-Within-A-Ship: I sailed The NCL Haven four times on their bigger ships (Mega Ships). I have sailed Celebrity in the Retreat once. 

The best fit from my standpoint is the bigger ships with NCL in the Haven.  I would suggest the NCL Joy, Encore or Bliss.  NCL has deals where the 3 and 4 person cruise for little to nothing.  From a Mobility standpoint, the bigger ships are not and issue.  The kids can leave the Haven Area and to to the Go-Carts, Water Slides, Kids area, Virtual reality and the list goes on. In most of the above, you can have Lunch in the Haven dining room outside with a view of the water slides if you want to see the grand kids coming down.  

The Haven Two Bedroom family villas are nice but the balcony is kind of small. You will have a quiet place for dinner, drinks, sun deck with hot tubs, indoor pool (this can get loud with other kids) butler and some nice amenities.  

I wrote the "Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience" on the NCL blog hear on Cruise Critic.com. If you go there, just read the first post which is super long.  I will answer any question if when you respond, you start with @Sthrngary .

I personally won't go in the Haven anymore because I prefer the smaller, quieter and less active ships like Oceania, Crystal and Explora Journey type of sailing.  Just my age and my needs now, not because it is bad in anyway.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Not been on Explora, but they have a club onboard for kids and market their multi generational and family friend aspects on their website. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Not been on Explora, but they have a club onboard for kids and market their multi generational and family friend aspects on their website. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@Vallesan I had to read your post a second time to make sure I qualify.  Here is my experience.  Luxury or Premium-Plus: I sailed on Oceania Riviera for a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise November 2023.  I sailed on a Crystal Cruise Ocean Ship for 7 days before they got sold. Ship-Within-A-Ship: I sailed The NCL Haven four times on their bigger ships (Mega Ships). I have sailed Celebrity in the Retreat once. 

The best fit from my standpoint is the bigger ships with NCL in the Haven.  I would suggest the NCL Joy, Encore or Bliss.  NCL has deals where the 3 and 4 person cruise for little to nothing.  From a Mobility standpoint, the bigger ships are not and issue.  The kids can leave the Haven Area and to to the Go-Carts, Water Slides, Kids area, Virtual reality and the list goes on. In most of the above, you can have Lunch in the Haven dining room outside with a view of the water slides if you want to see the grand kids coming down.  

The Haven Two Bedroom family villas are nice but the balcony is kind of small. You will have a quiet place for dinner, drinks, sun deck with hot tubs, indoor pool (this can get loud with other kids) butler and some nice amenities.  

I wrote the "Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience" on the NCL blog hear on Cruise Critic.com. If you go there, just read the first post which is super long.  I will answer any question if when you respond, you start with @Sthrngary .

I personally won't go in the Haven anymore because I prefer the smaller, quieter and less active ships like Oceania, Crystal and Explora Journey type of sailing.  Just my age and my needs now, not because it is bad in anyway.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

As usual you can be trusted to come up with great advice, Thank you,

• Thanks 1