Next Door Suite Noise and Officer Lied to my face

bohaiboy

Posted this on another group but it was removed bc it was a negative post against SS.  We were on the Muse from 17 April until 16 May.  The Muse has the televisions built in to the mirrors, a dreadful idea because the TV can not be watched without severe glare.   The sound cannot radiate from the TV, so there are external speakers placed against the walls..  Our neighbors played their TV so loud we could easily understand the words coming from the TV.  We complained several times and I finally had a meeting with the office in charge of the suites, but not the Hotel Director.  He offered to move us to a same size suite if we liked.  This was about 8 days into a 30 day cruise, and we were very settled, plus we loved our butler.  I asked why can't you move the perpetrators.  He stated that the next sailing was completely full and these folks were on that cruise also, so they would have to move them back to the original suite.  Well, disembarkation day came, and guess what?  The neighbors were disembarking also, not continuing onward as the officer said, lying directly to my face.  This officer I found out later is only a 2 year employee of SS. 

Pretty bad when an officer of SS lies directly to your face.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The officer may have simply made a mistake.  But he did try to be helpful and may not be a liar.  And what of the new neighbours of where  you would have liked them moved to? They would now have  your noisy neighbour.  Is that fair?  The officer’s offer was sensible and helpful and would have left your room empty and thus avoid annoying anyone else.

I fear that you might have simply done much better if you had simply shrugged, had a glass of wine, and perhaps been a touch more  pragmatic and moved suite when you were offered. Your suite would then have been empty and no one else suffers.  

You would also now be a happier bunny.

All the best

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 12

There was a thread a while ago with a similar issue- I think the butler or room steward eventually problem solved and found the sound bar was backwards. Which made the passengers in that cabin unable to hear the TV, and turn the volume up-thereby transmitting the elevated volume to their neighbor.

Perhaps this happened?

But the obvious first step is politely asking your neighbor to to lower the volume-they may not realize how loud they were. Second step would be moving cabins.

I am puzzled by this issue as we never watch television on a cruise! Prefer to sit on the verandah or go listen to music.

Posted (edited)

I do not think talking with neighbor is such an obvious first step.  Certainly not my choice.  And drinking a glass of wine is not going to help.  

58 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I am puzzled by this issue as we never watch television on a cruise! Prefer to sit on the verandah or go listen to music.

You would be a great neighbor.    A not so great neighbor to you would be one that blasts noise into your cabin....or verandah.  See how you like it, then figure the remedy.

It's a drag to change cabins, but 22 days to go would have had me packing based on officer's story..  OTOH, you suffered much shorter time than expected.  Hardly worth writing about on here.

Edited by saminina

Yes-if the staff could not rectify the problem I would have gladly moved.

i do have to say, if cruise ships got to to point that they had closed caption on the TVs and Bluetooth ability to use hearing aids/air pods, it would help.

I have hearing loss and depend on hearing devices. I am super sensitive to annoying others with TV volume. So I usually use my tablet and ear buds for entertainment.

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

There was a thread a while ago with a similar issue- I think the butler or room steward eventually problem solved and found the sound bar was backwards. Which made the passengers in that cabin unable to hear the TV, and turn the volume up-thereby transmitting the elevated volume to their neighbor.

Perhaps this happened?

But the obvious first step is politely asking your neighbor to to lower the volume-they may not realize how loud they were. Second step would be moving cabins.

This was us  !!  We could hear  the next door TV as clear as a bell !   The butler  and room attendant  checked it  out  and found the sound bar was in back  to  front  - hence facing our cabin !

They turned it right way out  - and bingo   - problem  solved !!

• Like 6

We had to move suites on our Silversea expedition due to a leaky verandah door. Our butler moved with us to a different deck. I would imagine that could have been requested. 

No reason to believe you were "lied to", it may have been a mistake.  Your neighbours may have had hearing issues.  Your problem was solved by your move so why are you complaining quite so vociferously.  Sorry but there has to be some give and take and your problem was resolved.

• Like 2

Well, on one of our cruises on Silversea, the first afternoon in our cabin, the sound from our neighbors TV was excruciatingly loud.  And non-stop.  I still don't know WTH he, she, or they were thinking.  But a call to our butler straightened things out for the rest of our cruise.  

On 5/20/2024 at 12:31 PM, bohaiboy said:

we loved our butler

I think he or she would have solved your issue - ours did.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2024 at 1:02 PM, NanaChar said:

Did they try talking to your neighbors?  I would hope they didn't realize that they were that loud.

Yes, and a few days later they were right back at the same level,  And we were onboard 30 days.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:16 PM, broker1217 said:

Perhaps this happened?

We never watched TV but they felt compelled to watch a movie or news every afternoon 2-5/6 PM  Luckily they did not at night.

13 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

Yes, and a few days later they were right back at the same level,  And we were onboard 30 days.

We never watched TV but they felt compelled to watch a movie or news every afternoon 2-5/6 PM  Luckily they did not at night.

So the noise issue was only for a few hours each day?  I must say that it is unlikely I would even be in my cabin much during those hours, but obviously you were.  

A pity you didn’t mention it to your butler, who might have been able to fix it as @drron29’s did.

We had a similar problem when we were on the Muse and it was very loud at all sorts of hours. Luckily we aren’t early to bed sorts but it was quite intrusive and our Butler wasn’t much help. 

20 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

We had a similar problem when we were on the Muse and it was very loud at all sorts of hours. Luckily we aren’t early to bed sorts but it was quite intrusive and our Butler wasn’t much help. 

I suspect you would have got better help from Head Housekeeper or CD than from your butler.