How many people can play pickle ball?

24 minutes ago, DianneMarie said:

It seems to me that only two people can play, or possibly four? What were they thinking when they decided this would be good entertainment for 2000 plus passengers?

We have not found a problem. Usually sports rep arrives at 9am and offers basic instruction for newbies and players take it in turns to play. At 10am the sports rep coordinates a tournament and everyone gets to play in turn for an hour. Court can be used other times, either by booking or just turning up, depends on ship and itinerary. 

Great addition to ship's programming. We learned to play last year on French Polynesia trip and have now joined local group at home. Also great opportunity to meet fellow cruisers. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DianneMarie said:

It seems to me that only two people can play, or possibly four? What were they thinking when they decided this would be good entertainment for 2000 plus passengers?

They were thinking of their sports minded, active passengers who enjoy playing this fast growing sport!  I've not heard a single complaint about lack of court time.

• Like 2

not sure it's any different than with shuffleboard, ping pong, basketball, hub tub occupancy ...etc.. everybody isn't doing the same things at the same time as everybody else....

• Like 3

Round Robin formats can get a group involved with short breaks for everyone. I’m going on the Rotterdam next week and plan on playing. Honestly, I’m more concerned that there won’t be a good turnout of advanced level players that will keep me challenged. 

3 hours ago, DianneMarie said:

It's the fastest growing sport in North America, in no small part because it appeals to a wide variety of ages, including seniors. I think that HAL made an excellent decision.

• Like 1

I am in the “I played pickleball for the first time on a BHB” club.

the sports director gave some instructions and then rotation play, including a tournament.   People of all levels were there, and they were a great help to us newbies.   Nothing to be worried about !
I am sure that the play was more intense during the individual-scheduled times,  it during the “lessons” , the level of the attendees dictated the level of play.

it was tons of fun, and I was glad it was available 

now if I could only get myself to join one of the local groups and play again…..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fusion927 said:

But there are 2 courts, so up to 8 can play.  Never saw that many playing when I walked by the sports courts on the NS....

Which ships have 2 courts? We’ve only been on ships with a single court.

19 hours ago, cobalt206 said:

Honestly, I’m more concerned that there won’t be a good turnout of advanced level players that will keep me challenged. 

That's what cross winds on sea days are for. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

That's what cross winds on sea days are for. 😉

Agreed!   The crosswinds do present a real good challenge!
there were several people who were regular/ advanced players.   They brought their  own equipment and played regularly when the courts were open.  
they were also great “sports” during tournaments, giving us newbies pointers and had patience with our fumbles.

it made for a great experience for me. (and I hope did not detract from their experience)

this was on Zaandam (one court).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Which ships have 2 courts? We’ve only been on ships with a single court.

Nieuw Statendam last month, and I'd assume the other Pinnacle ships would be the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Volendam has/had 2 courts last April.

That’s great. My husband plays for several hours every day at home. We’ll be on the Volendam in 2025 for the Pole to Pole cruise. I didn’t realize it had 2 courts. Hopefully HAL will allocate them with 1 to lessons or beginners and the other to more advanced players. Or some other way to allow people to play at their skill level.

on the 2023 WC, there was 1 court on the Zuiderdam. He played every sea day if the weather cooperated. On very windy days, they played Padel instead.