Naples…after debarking in Cevitacchia

SoBaycruiser

We will debarking in Cevitacchia in late October after a 12 night cruise.  Our penultimate port is Naples but I want to see more of the area than time there will allow.  We’ve been to Rome and cities north before and thought maybe we could return to Naples for a few days after our cruise and then fly home.  We won’t be driving.  We are in our mid-70s and not up for that any more.  The train trip seems complicated from the port to Naples… with three different segments.  It seems like a lot of travel just to spend a few extra days in the area.  Has anyone done this?  Can any suggest a way to simplify the trip?  

It's actually quite easy to get to Naples by train, as long as you can handle your own luggage.  The fast solution is a Frecce from Civitavecchia to Rome, followed by another Frecce to Naples.  The slower option is an IC direct from Civitavecchia to Naples, no change en route.

The fast option departs Civitavecchia at 9:16 and, after a change at Rome Termini, arrives to Napoli Cenrale at 11:33, total travel time of two hours, seventeen minutes.

The slower option departs Civitavecchia at 9:24 and arrives to Napoli Centrale at 12:29, total travel time of three hours, five minutes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It's actually quite easy to get to Naples by train, as long as you can handle your own luggage.  The fast solution is a Frecce from Civitavecchia to Rome, followed by another Frecce to Naples.  The slower option is an IC direct from Civitavecchia to Naples, no change en route.

The fast option departs Civitavecchia at 9:16 and, after a change at Rome Termini, arrives to Napoli Cenrale at 11:33, total travel time of two hours, seventeen minutes.

The slower option departs Civitavecchia at 9:24 and arrives to Napoli Centrale at 12:29, total travel time of three hours, five minutes.

Thank you!  That’s really helpful.  So do we take a taxi to the train station in Civitavecchia?  I assume it’s better to reserve the train tickets.  Is there a website for the Frecce trains?

Thank you again.

I don't know about taxis at the port but there is a 6 euro bus that goes from the ship to the train station:  Shuttles | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

To purchase train tickets, buy directly from the supplier, in this case Trenitalia:  EN - Trenitalia

If you decide on the IC train (the one without a change) I would consider paying a little extra for first class.  On the Frecce trains I only buy first class if it's a real deal, the regular seats are just fine.

• Like 1