Skagway Excursions

leftylisa24

Hi Everyone! I am trying to decide what to do in Skagway. Would you choose the Whitepass  Railroad tour or a tour that goes to Whitepass Summit, suspension bridge and a sled dog on a bus? Thank you for any advice!!

I, too, am wondering about the difference between the views on the bus and the train?   The bus is considerably cheaper.

Can I ask where you saw the bus that includes dog sled?   That sounds fantastic!

I did the Whitepass Railroad north to Frazier, BC Canada and from there got on a bus to Carcross, Yukon Territory and then back to Skagway. Both were fantastic with amazing scenery and an amazing experience. If I had to choose, I would say the railroad is an absolute cannot miss (sit on the left going North and the right coming South) but honestly, if it is possible with your itinerary I would urge you to do them both. And dont forget your passport. 

I would choose a combination like that offered by companies such as Chilkoot Charters - train up, bus back. You get the best of both worlds. The scenery and ability to stop and visit spots along the way is great, but nothing takes the place of the actual train experience, IMO.

• Like 2

We have taken the full day bus trip with Shore Excursions Group in the past and it included lunch at the dog sled stop:

EXCURSION HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Don't miss this Yukon Klondike Adventure by Bus with Puppy Camp in Skagway
  • Enjoy a fully narrated journey through the picturesque landscapes of Yukon Territory
  • Dine on a Yukon-style BBQ chicken lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Post
  • Get free admission to fascinating local museums and the adorable Husky Puppy Camp
  • Be guided by our prideful professionals on comfy 24-passenger bus with large viewing windows

For scenery the train in great. For bears, the bus (actually a mini-bus) is better. The bus can stop and watch a bear if seen (during our drive we saw a total of 8 bears). The train keeps on going. The bus drivers communicate by phone, and work with each other, to report bear sightings so other buses know where to find them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I would choose a combination like that offered by companies such as Chilkoot Charters - train up, bus back. You get the best of both worlds. The scenery and ability to stop and visit spots along the way is great, but nothing takes the place of the actual train experience, IMO.

This!

• Like 1

We were going to do the excursion where you get off the train and bike back to Skagway, but need to cancel because someone in our group won't be able to do it. I see that you can do the shorter ~3hr train ride round trip or longer ~8hr excursions that go into the Yukon for stops. 

Is it better to do the long excursion? It seems like there isn't as much to do and see in town in Skagway as there would be in Ketchikan and Juneau.

We're not sailing until next May, but I can't help myself from doing research now.  As such, I was looking at the Google Maps satellite street view and came across the Skagway Street Car Tour.

Their website states excursions can be booked through excursion desks while onboard, however; I wasn't able to find any info on NCL's website stating this tour was available.

It looks like fun, but I'm curious what the cost is... has anyone here taken the tour do you have an idea as to the cost?

I loved the train. We just did the 3 hour round trip. It worked out for us because we wanted to get some hiking in and we had plenty of time to do two hikes in the area after we got back to Skagway. 

NCL offered the streetcar tour. I didn’t do it but, considered it in case of rain. Seems it was around $79. Seemed good value if you had free at sea and the $50 off excursions. 

15 minutes ago, KimHum said:

I loved the train. We just did the 3 hour round trip. It worked out for us because we wanted to get some hiking in and we had plenty of time to do two hikes in the area after we got back to Skagway. 

NCL offered the streetcar tour. I didn’t do it but, considered it in case of rain. Seems it was around $79. Seemed good value if you had free at sea and the $50 off excursions. 

Thank you for that.  I think we were only planning to do the YWPRR up and back.  DW wants to spend time wandering the town and some retail therapy, while she does that I was thinking of killing an hour & a half on the Street Car tour... lots of great photo ops from what I've seen in my research.

I think she also wants some spa time while we're in port.

11 hours ago, mskaufman said:

The views from the bus and train are different. My recommendation would be bus one way and train the other.

I agree. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:39 PM, royal3 said:

We have taken the full day bus trip with Shore Excursions Group in the past and it included lunch at the dog sled stop:

EXCURSION HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Don't miss this Yukon Klondike Adventure by Bus with Puppy Camp in Skagway
  • Enjoy a fully narrated journey through the picturesque landscapes of Yukon Territory
  • Dine on a Yukon-style BBQ chicken lunch at Caribou Crossing Trading Post
  • Get free admission to fascinating local museums and the adorable Husky Puppy Camp
  • Be guided by our prideful professionals on comfy 24-passenger bus with large viewing windows

For scenery the train in great. For bears, the bus (actually a mini-bus) is better. The bus can stop and watch a bear if seen (during our drive we saw a total of 8 bears). The train keeps on going. The bus drivers communicate by phone, and work with each other, to report bear sightings so other buses know where to find them. 

I think I found the perfect thing for us!  Thanks for this!

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

My two cents, rent a car for the price of 2 for the train. You can stop at the suspension bridge and Caribou Crossing to see if you want to do the dog sled. 

That's a great idea as well, however, I'm on vacation and would prefer to be taken or driven everywhere, when not on foot, by someone else as I would like to see the sights, not just when we stop... call it my three cents 🙂

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

My two cents, rent a car for the price of 2 for the train. You can stop at the suspension bridge and Caribou Crossing to see if you want to do the dog sled. 

While renting a car can be great and we have done it a number of times in Skagway, I wouldn’t recommend it for a first or only trip. The train really is a unique experience that can’t be duplicated by driving yourself. Also, truly seeing the sights and getting your bearings to really understand what you are seeing the first time is so much better with a guide. Then on subsequent trips driving feels familiar. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, azappraiser said:

Thank you for that.  I think we were only planning to do the YWPRR up and back.  DW wants to spend time wandering the town and some retail therapy, while she does that I was thinking of killing an hour & a half on the Street Car tour... lots of great photo ops from what I've seen in my research.

I think she also wants some spa time while we're in port.

$79 for the Street Car tour seems really expensive, unless you have no other opportunity for spending a credit, or if walking isn't easy for you. The downtown area is very easily walked, and there are buses that go out further for about $5. You might enjoy taking the bus out and exploring the gold rush cemetery and walk to the falls.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 6:00 PM, mskaufman said:

The views from the bus and train are different. My recommendation would be bus one way and train the other.

Absolutely this.  Two completely different experiences.  Roundtrip on the train is so much of the sameness (I slept on the return trip).  But the views from stops along the road...WOW.  Incredible.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ccqueenanne said:

$79 for the Street Car tour seems really expensive, unless you have no other opportunity for spending a credit, or if walking isn't easy for you. The downtown area is very easily walked, and there are buses that go out further for about $5. You might enjoy taking the bus out and exploring the gold rush cemetery and walk to the falls.

First of all, I did find the Street Car excursion after a little digging around on NCL's site.  And if we didn't have a $50 PP Shorex Credit (FAS Prem+), I would agree that $79 might be a bit pricey; but for $29 plus tax, I don't think that's too out of line.

We're also going to the White Pass RR up & back, and I may even be able to squeeze in a hike to the old cemetery & waterfall.

Doing Alaska next May, travelling with a 5 and 9 year old, we would like to do the Train/Bus combo to the Yukon. I am just not sure the kids wouldnt be bored by both rides. so was thinking of renting Van for the 6 of us. what will we miss scenery wise if we do this instead taking train?

Also how thorough are the Borderchecks coming back into US, as i am travelling on an Esta, I 90/94 and Nexus card. 

We're planning the 8 hr Chilkoot Bennett Scenic Journey in August and considering the bus first.

How would that choice be as compared to the train first? Does it even matter much?

2 hours ago, greeneme said:

We're planning the 8 hr Chilkoot Bennett Scenic Journey in August and considering the bus first.

How would that choice be as compared to the train first? Does it even matter much?

I don’t think it matters much.  I prefer the train first as it’s the first train out in the morning.