Stop Me!!!

napria

First we booked a TA on Queen Mary2 for August 2026, Southampton to NY by way of Iceland so I *might* get to see the a total eclipse.

Then I priced out the flight from the US to Southampton, including transportation from the airport, a pre-cruise hotel and meals.  Hey, for just a little more we can take QM2, get the same cabin and enjoy an extra seven days onboard.  Booked!

Cunnard has my email now and sent me a Memorial Day sale ad.  Oh look!  We can try out QM2 on a five day cruise from Canada to NY this fall!  Booked and paid in full!

Now I’ve got a new email from Cunard for a Memorial Day sale on a 14-day British Isles trip aboard the Queen Anne.  Such a deal!  

But wait… we haven’t taken even one trip yet.  I think I might be (figuratively) going overboard!

Oh but it’s tempting…

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, napria said:

First we booked a TA on Queen Mary2 for August 2026, Southampton to NY by way of Iceland so I *might* get to see the a total eclipse.

Then I priced out the flight from the US to Southampton, including transportation from the airport, a pre-cruise hotel and meals.  Hey, for just a little more we can take QM2, get the same cabin and enjoy an extra seven days onboard.  Booked!

Cunnard has my email now and sent me a Memorial Day sale ad.  Oh look!  We can try out QM2 on a five day cruise from Canada to NY this fall!  Booked and paid in full!

Now I’ve got a new email from Cunard for a Memorial Day sale on a 14-day British Isles trip aboard the Queen Anne.  Such a deal!  

But wait… we haven’t taken even one trip yet.  I think I might be (figuratively) going overboard!

Oh but it’s tempting…

Sounds great, go for it!

• Like 1

That's how we ended up doing a round trip for out first (and second) crossings.  When we priced out one way air fare, hotel and ground transportation it was only a minor increment in costs - and I had the vacation time available.

• Like 2

Personally I don't think people write enough about how addictive Cunard is.  You seem to have found out early.  Worry not, you have a wonderful set of cruises ahead !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

That's how we ended up doing a round trip for out first (and second) crossings.  When we priced out one way air fare, hotel and ground transportation it was only a minor increment in costs - and I had the vacation time available.

“Vacation time available”—those are the magic words. Our first trip on Cunard (well, any ship) was planned as a double crossing in 2025, eastbound in May, and westbound in June. We’ve already had to cancel the westbound part (flying instead), and now it looks like the entire trip will have to wait until December. 🙁

• Like 1

Well, you all encouraged me and this afternoon booked our fourth trip on QM2.  We sail on the first in September. I really hope we like her.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, napria said:

Well, you all encouraged me and this afternoon booked our fourth trip on QM2.  We sail on the first in September. I really hope we like her.  

Gosh, I do too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, napria said:

I recommend avoiding this board! I've just booked a TA for next year. (I've done a westbound, but this will be my first eastbound.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The thing is, this September’s cruise (the first of four booked on QM2), will be our fourth cruise ever.  The first was our honeymoon nearly 40 years ago on American Hawaii Cruises ship “Constitution”  it was a huge splurge for us and then careers — and ten years later kids — got in the way.

Our second and third cruises were in 2017 and 2019 on Silversea. Absolutely incredible experiences… except for seasickness on my part. I’m hoping QM2 is as stable as they say.

Food is incredibly important to my husband, and it need not be on par with Silversea, but hopefully it’ll be on par with a good, somewhat upscale restaurant. 

The other thing we’re concerned about is not feeling like we’re crowded.  Getting on and off the smaller Silversea ships was a breeze and in no place on the ships did we ever feel crowded.

We aren’t expecting the ultra luxury experience, but hopefully it will be a good one, with a stable ship, good food and pleasant fellow passengers.

4 hours ago, napria said:

The thing is, this September’s cruise (the first of four booked on QM2), will be our fourth cruise ever.  The first was our honeymoon nearly 40 years ago on American Hawaii Cruises ship “Constitution”  it was a huge splurge for us and then careers — and ten years later kids — got in the way.

Our second and third cruises were in 2017 and 2019 on Silversea. Absolutely incredible experiences… except for seasickness on my part. I’m hoping QM2 is as stable as they say.

Food is incredibly important to my husband, and it need not be on par with Silversea, but hopefully it’ll be on par with a good, somewhat upscale restaurant. 

The other thing we’re concerned about is not feeling like we’re crowded.  Getting on and off the smaller Silversea ships was a breeze and in no place on the ships did we ever feel crowded.

We aren’t expecting the ultra luxury experience, but hopefully it will be a good one, with a stable ship, good food and pleasant fellow passengers.

What grade are you sailing? Remember to compare apples to apples. Silversea should compare more with Grills level. Adjust expectations accordingly. 
QM2 is normally very stable and rarely feels crowded. TA’s are wonderful: being mesmerized by the sea and the constant change of the seas, the Prom Deck, the wake. Pub food is fantastic and the cocktail’s onboard are first rate. There is a pleasant routine you’ll get into after the first day or two. 

• Like 1

We’re Britannia Class, sheltered balcony in the center of the ship on all but next year’s British Isles itinerary on which we booked an obstructed balcony on deck 8 forward.

The original thought was to be low and central.  But the obstructed balcony on deck 8 forward was all that was available on that particular cruise, unless I wanted to book Queens Grill, and since this was the fourth cruise I’m booking and paying for in such a short time I decided to go with the (currently) more affordable option.  And if I’m ok with a higher deck and not center, well that will open up a world of possibilities!

• Like 2