QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

16 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well my first "official" disappointment.  Cunard Internet apparently bars access to all horse racing sites, including the Racing Post and Sporting Life.  As it's Oaks day and tomorrow's the Derby I'd hoped to access my account to follow along but it's not to be.  

Ezeliya just won the Oaks - pretty impressively. They should be showing it in the Pub, surely?

• Like 1

Just now, Pushpit said:

Normally a VPN would not give Cunard / Starlink the URL you are using, so with VPN on then it should work (so suggesting VPN on). However I would speculate that some racing sites don't want people using VPN to access their websites (so suggests off) - VPN users are a mixed bag.

Now I'm totally 😕   I'll try on and off!  

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Ezeliya just won the Oaks - pretty impressively. They should be showing it in the Pub, surely?

Thank you.  No its tennis, I've been in here since about 3.45pm hoping it might come on.  How did the King's horse do?

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.  No its tennis, I've been in here since about 3.45pm hoping it might come on.  How did the King's horse do?

If it was Treasure it only had one behind it, so not so good!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, S1971 said:

If it was Treasure it only had one behind it, so not so good!!!

The horse I have shares in didn't do much better, finishing 8th in the 2.35pm.  

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The horse I have shares in didn't do much better, finishing 8th in the 2.35pm.  

Never mind, better luck next time as they say.

At least you couldn't get a bet on, so a small saving I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

We had something similar last year in a Medivac off Cornwall on a windy day last summer. The helicopter had to have several goes, and it took about half an hour altogether.

Not unusual, ship has to turn in wind and set speed as dictated by helo,then evacuee has to be brought on deck and whichman decends, maybe short discussion with ship medical staff etc. At all times helo pilot is in charge and will only carry out operation when satisfied. He may well wait  for rain squall to pass etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

Well they will regret it the noise is horrendous so dangerous as well 

Downdraft on the new larger Sikosky helos is considerably stronger than the old sea Kings.

• Like 2

I have to say that I am deeply disappointed with Cunard at the complete lie that we were fed about today being “Scenic Scottish Isles Cruising”. It is now past 7pm, we haven’t seen land all day, let alone scenic isles, and by the time we are within sight of anything it will be dark. The emergency evacuation has no relevance to this whatsoever. The itinerary that we were sold has simply not been delivered today. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sogne said:

Downdraft on the new larger Sikosky helos is considerably stronger than the old sea Kings.

Yes it was quite frightening I thought I was on QM2 is a sheltered balcony and could hear the noise . We were also told to bring small balcony tables inside and move chairs away from edge. It went on for lot longer than half and hour and it was late evening as well 

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I have to say that I am deeply disappointed with Cunard at the complete lie that we were fed about today being “Scenic Scottish Isles Cruising”. It is now past 7pm, we haven’t seen land all day, let alone scenic isles, and by the time we are within sight of anything it will be dark. The emergency evacuation has no relevance to this whatsoever. The itinerary that we were sold has simply not been delivered today. 

That is a real bummer and I'm really sorry for you. The Inner and Outer Hebrides made for spectacular scenic cruising on the most perfect day ever, last year. Hope you get some sort of explanation.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure you have the same Captain as we did on a 7-day Scenic Isle Cruising of Scotland on Cunard’s first cruise after the Pandemic on either QE or QV.  No ports were involved, neither was there any announcements from the bridge.  Passengers were looking at maps on their mobiles to work out where we were.  We passed Staffa and Fingal’s Cave and other notable places without knowing.  Absolutely hopeless!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

That is a real bummer and I'm really sorry for you. The Inner and Outer Hebrides made for spectacular scenic cruising on the most perfect day ever, last year. Hope you get some sort of explanation.

I doubt we will get an explanation. The medivac can’t be used as an excuse as we were still heading out to sea past Ireland until the turn south to deal with that. Even with no medivac we would still have seen nothing all day but sea and this was not sold as a sea day. 

I say this not as a dig to Cunard regulars as the same happens on other lines, but why are people so tolerant of cruise lines just not delivering what was advertised? As Brits we have toured the UK, including Scotland, numerous times by road, and have been to all the ports bar Kirkwall and Cobh. We chose this cruise as the two days cruising around the Scottish Isles really appealed as it would be a different perspective. Yesterday delivered about 10% of what we expected and today 0%. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, safarigal said:

We are getting closer to the islands.......

closer to the islands.jpg

We are still some way off and with the track we are on it will have been dark for some time before we are close enough to have seen anything.

It’s a shame that what was advertised for today doesn’t count as a port, as I’d be putting in an insurance claim!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Perhaps there needs to be an amendment to cruise insurance "missed sail pasts"😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well it's planned to show The Derby in The Pavillion ... Just one small problem the race is run at 4.30pm and the Daily Programme is proudly showing 1.30pm so now I gave to gamble(!) are they broadcasting the whole Epsom card or is this a misprint?  Decisions,  decisions ...

20240531_224416.jpg

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 5

Sorry you missed the scenic cruising, last year on QV sailing round the Isle of Mull was most of the day very close to shore, lighthouses, mountains with waterfalls, etc.

Surely the Captain understands the itinerary that was promoted and is given a course from the home office to follow.

It can be changed but only for good reason.

Sadly on the last sea day returning to Southampton from Cobh we missed seeing all the big offshore lighthouses due to fog even though we passed within three miles distance.

So I understand your disappointment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, david63 said:

Perhaps there needs to be an amendment to cruise insurance "missed sail pasts"😉

We’d do well with that cover on this cruise. From just the first week;

Sunday - advertised cruise past Bass Rock and Isle of May - both invisible due to driving rain and fading light. 

Thursday - advertised scenic cruise around Skye. Didn’t see any of it due to getting there too late when evening mist was settling in, plus we were far too far from shore to see anything even if it hadn’t.

Friday - advertised scenic cruising around Scottish Isles. Reality - a sea day off Ireland with no sign of land whatsoever for the entire day.

I’m seriously beginning to wonder if the Captain is working to a different itinerary to what was advertised. She seems to know what the ports of call are, but then seems completely oblivious to what was advertised for the rest of it! It’s not even been close. We’ve not even had any explanation as to why. Maybe I’m naive, but I expected better from Cunard. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

We’d do well with that cover on this cruise. From just the first week;

Sunday - advertised cruise past Bass Rock and Isle of May - both invisible due to driving rain and fading light. 

Thursday - advertised scenic cruise around Skye. Didn’t see any of it due to getting there too late when evening mist was settling in, plus we were far too far from shore to see anything even if it hadn’t.

Friday - advertised scenic cruising around Scottish Isles. Reality - a sea day off Ireland with no sign of land whatsoever for the entire day.

I’m seriously beginning to wonder if the Captain is working to a different itinerary to what was advertised. She seems to know what the ports of call are, but then seems completely oblivious to what was advertised for the rest of it! It’s not even been close. We’ve not even had any explanation as to why. Maybe I’m naive, but I expected better from Cunard. 

This sounds like a good argument for FCC, if that’s an option for you. I’d be unhappy with this chain of events. 

• Like 1

Not our favourite captain.  We were on QE on a roundtrip from Barcelona in September 2022 (our version of the 4th Covid cancelled cruise rebook that finally happened) and had a complete breakdown of the ship's water supply in cabins. For hours. Not a word, not a peep from the Bridge.  During the Diamond/Platinum reception "attended by senior officers" the Captain spent 10 mins in the Queens Room with a few officers in a corner of the room, never once engaging with any passengers.  Maybe that was after the water breakdown.... (!).

Capt. Hoyt of QV is the one for us and he relishes close cruising... we had some marvellous ones, admitedly in brilliant weather, in the Aegean last week... sigh. 

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Maybe I’m naive, but I expected better from Cunard. 

Not naive at all, they are simply not delivering the itinerary advertised, which must be bitterly disappointing.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, NE John said:

This sounds like a good argument for FCC, if that’s an option for you. I’d be unhappy with this chain of events. 

I shall add the fact that we haven’t been provided with the advertised itinerary to my list of things to discuss with the Customer Service Manager, if he ever gets back to me (I’ve requested a meeting but heard nothing yet). 

Some aspects of the cruise have been excellent. We have really enjoyed Britannia Club dining and some of the entertainment has been excellent (Brief Encounter, Noir, Midge Ure, Frank Bruno etc) but I feel that we have been taken for fools over the whole ‘scenic cruising’ for 2 days which has just not been delivered and this has added to the disappointment with our accessible cabin. 

There is a chance that we may cancel our only other future Cunard cruise (also on Queen Anne) because of these issues, so FCC will be of no use. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I shall add the fact that we haven’t been provided with the advertised itinerary to my list of things to discuss with the Customer Service Manager, if he ever gets back to me (I’ve requested a meeting but heard nothing yet). 

Some aspects of the cruise have been excellent. We have really enjoyed Britannia Club dining and some of the entertainment has been excellent (Brief Encounter, Noir, Midge Ure, Frank Bruno etc) but I feel that we have been taken for fools over the whole ‘scenic cruising’ for 2 days which has just not been delivered and this has added to the disappointment with our accessible cabin. 

There is a chance that we may cancel our only other future Cunard cruise (also on Queen Anne) because of these issues, so FCC will be of no use. 

It's such a shame these negatives have impacted on your cruise Selbourne, glad to hear somethings have been good though.

Given the accessibility issues you and your wife have encouraged and without any assurances things are going to be improved, I guess cancelling your future cruise is probably the best option.

Not having to use these facilities myself, is there an option to transfer to another of Cunards ships, or are they pretty much the same fleet wide?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Queen Victoria is back sailing ex Southampton towards the end of the year. She may be more to your liking. I am sure there will be You Tube videos with detailed information on the accessible cabins and she does have a proper prom deck. Club Restaurant looks nice though never tried it as way over my budget for a solo. Sadly changed Itineraries these days but is gamble I am prepared to take. I know it’s only 3 nights but at less than 24 hours notice the itinerary was completely changed 2 different ports citing poor weather and industrial action, one of which was UK not far from where I live but having said that I had a brilliant time in Cherbourg and am actually looking forward to a morning in Weymouth. Hope your eventual meeting with Manager is successful and you enjoy the last week. Do consider QV she is a great ship. 

• Like 2