QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

12 minutes ago, S1971 said:

It's such a shame these negatives have impacted on your cruise Selbourne, glad to hear somethings have been good though.

Given the accessibility issues you and your wife have encouraged and without any assurances things are going to be improved, I guess cancelling your future cruise is probably the best option.

Not having to use these facilities myself, is there an option to transfer to another of Cunards ships, or are they pretty much the same fleet wide?

The only other Cunard ship we have been on was QM2 and we had an accessible Princess Grill cabin due to getting an amazing deal which we would never get again. 

We thoroughly enjoyed the PG dining, but not enough that we’d pay normal grills prices. This cruise was expensive enough in Britannia Club (we booked on day of launch) and the advantage that our November cruise has is that it is significantly cheaper (but still in BC). 

We’ll see what the rest of the cruise is like (including disembarking in the remaining ports - not good so far - and final day disembarkation which, apparently, was very poor on the preceding cruise) and what sort of response I get from raising the issues as we don’t need to make any final decision until balance due date. 

• Like 4

Half Term Report!

I too was a little bemused by the supposed commentary accompanying the "scenic cruising" the day before yesterday.  We were a considerable way off any land with rather unidentifiable blobs in the distance but having no experience of a so called scenic cruise I and no doubt others had no clue what we were actually meant to be looking at.

Unfortunately this sort of experience is not unusual, I can recall a Caribbean cruise on P&O where we actually spent most of the time in the Atlantic miles from anything Caribbean. The answer to those who complained (I wasn't one of them) was "Captain's discretion" and I'll hazard a guess this sort of platitude may well be the reply on this occasion.

Unlike many others on this voyage I'm on a bargain basement fare, the lowest I've had on Cunard in very a long time.  I booked fully expecting to be on a slightly disorganised cruise where the very unreliable weather we are experiencing in the UK would most likely impact.  Much as I am a total Cunard devotee I had low expectations for this particular trip.  I have however been pleasantly surprised.  

My main comments:

"Disappointment" with the waiting staff in the Britannia restaurant and the overall attitude in there.  Whilst I appreciate they appsrehad an extremely difficult time with the guests on the previous two cruises I do feel if they relaxed and smiled more we'd all feel a little better.  It's not bad service but it is functional rather than normal Cunard service. Not a deal breaker but could do better 7/10.

Entertainment has been outstanding, excellent speakers and top acts to date.  I find the "normal" onboard offerings irritating with computer backing tracks and instrument playing along completely out of line with all previous Cunard voyages.  I miss things like the jazz band in the pub, the harp at teatime and in the Britannia on gala nights, but overall.due to the guest acts and speakers 8/10 (10/10 for the guests though).

My cabin and it's maintenance is far better than I anticipated, even with the missing tissue holder!  Glenn my steward is friendly, helpful and very accommodating.  My towels are changed even when I don't request them to be, the bathroom is spotless and he has even learnt I like the temperature at a different level.of an evening and adjusts it accordingly.  10/10

Disembarking at ports.  Apart from the tender situation I gave not encountered problems personally.  I'm aware many others have, both on tour and leaving independently.  I may, without tempting fate, Encounter them today as my tour is the second departure at 8.15am.  We will.see and I'll report back later! So far however for me 6/10. The tenders hard to forgive.

General facilities.  These are extremely good as far as I've done.  The swimming pools - a very important aspect a cruise for me - are however not fit to swim in as the water isn't filled properly. A big disappointment for me. I actually sprained my wrist yesterday after catching the bottom with my hand.  8/10.

I will continue later as we've just been told we may leave and I have to head to disembarkation for my trip.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:
2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Horrah.  Well I'm going to get The Derby at 4.30. Meantime a bonus race.  

20240601_154444.jpgPleased for you  am enjoying your positive spin on your experience.

Not only that I won!  

• Like 12

Actually on the subject of horse racing I sat with a lady on the coach trip today who told me she had an interest in racing when she bought a newspaper to study the card.  We got chatting as a result and it transpired her and her late husband were in a syndicate that owned the Derby winner Motivator a number of years back.  We had some really interesting conversation about her view from her Queens Grill suite midships deck 7 - no idea which grade of Q it is - and compared notes on our experience as solo ladies.  Very interesting in as much as we both had the same opinions on entertainment etc although she is using the Grills Lounge as her social hub and informed me she really likes it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Actually on the subject of horse racing I sat with a lady on the coach trip today who told me she had an interest in racing when she bought a newspaper to study the card.  We got chatting as a result and it transpired her and her late husband were in a syndicate that owned the Derby winner Motivator a number of years back.  We had some really interesting conversation about her view from her Queens Grill suite midships deck 7 - no idea which grade of Q it is - and compared notes on our experience as solo ladies.  Very interesting in as much as we both had the same opinions on entertainment etc although she is using the Grills Lounge as her social hub and informed me she really likes it.

Wow, much more impressive than whatever his name was.

Why does she like the Grills Lounge?

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Wow, much more impressive than whatever his name was.

Why does she like the Grills Lounge?

She finds it comfortable and friendly with a nice atmosphere apparently.  She told me she doesn't like Queen Mary 2 lounge.  I asked how she found the light as I'd heard it had very little and her view was it's a little dark but she feels it makes it atmospheric.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

She finds it comfortable and friendly with a nice atmosphere apparently.  She told me she doesn't like Queen Mary 2 lounge.  I asked how she found the light as I'd heard it had very little and her view was it's a little dark but she feels it makes it atmospheric.

I didn’t linger there, but must say it didn’t look terribly comfortable to me, but I can see it was friendly. I waved at people I recognised as I passed through hastily and they usually waved back, although, in truth, they may have been completely different people as the light was so dim, and my eyesight so poor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I know who you’re referring to.  She is delightful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I didn’t linger there, but must say it didn’t look terribly comfortable to me, but I can see it was friendly. I waved at people I recognised as I passed through hastily and they usually waved back, although, in truth, they may have been completely different people as the light was so dim, and my eyesight so poor.

At this very moment we are seated under the expansive skylight which lights the huge tree in the lounge.  It most certainly is not dark, anything but.  There are more secluded, atmospheric seating arrangements, should one choose.  We agree with this lovely lady.  A little light in our lives is a positive attribute.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Did you do the lochs tour?

Edited by Mareblu

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes. It was lovely.

Yes, then it was V.  She absolutely loved it.  I so admire her determination to carry on with her life after losing her beloved husband.  She is dignified, but warm and friendly.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, then it was V.  She absolutely loved it.  I so admire her determination to carry on with her life after losing her beloved husband.  She is dignified, but warm and friendly.

An absolutely charming lady and a pleasure to have had her company. I was shocked she told me she was afraid of the sea and thought how brave she was.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

Good morning, good morning to all.  Yesterday was another truly memorable day for me.  Apart from the company the Panoramic Lochs trip turned out to be far more than I expected- basically a coach trip around looking at the scenery.  This was far more. An hour and a quarter stop in the pretty town, another in a viewing point to see a Glen surrounded by hills and mountains added very much to the day and then a 20 minute ride on a ferry where it was possible to enjoy the spectacular views from the top on a viewing platform.  The surrounding scenery was beautiful, the water and sky were bright blue in the brilliant sunlight.  Just a lovely serene day despite being in the company of 50 or do fellow passengers from the ship.  Definitely another favourite for me.  

Today I'm ticking off one of the few original remaining items on the list I created 29 years ago as part of my cancer recovery program.  The Giant's Causeway.   The list grew over the years as I added things at each recovery stage and now because I've been so lucky over the years only a handful of things remain.  This therefore is going to be BIG so hopefully the sun will shine, the Irish mist won't roll in and I'll stay dry, not fall over or have any other of my usual mishaps!  Have a great day everyone - I'm going too!

20240601_195931.jpg

20240601_182404.jpg

20240601_122538.jpg

20240601_122525.jpg

20240601_122509.jpg

20240601_122453.jpg

20240601_122213.jpg

20240601_122217.jpg

20240601_122131.jpg

20240601_104214.jpg

20240601_104205.jpg

20240601_104208.jpg

20240601_092533.jpg

20240601_092531.jpg

20240601_092237.jpg

20240601_092409.jpg

20240601_092428.jpg

20240601_080827.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Horrah.  Well I'm going to get The Derby at 4.30. Meantime a bonus race.  

20240601_154444.jpg

Oh how I can only wish they'd play the Formula 1 on the screen during our summer cruises!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Megabear2 thank you for the truly beautiful photos.  You’ve really captured the spirit of this haunting land.

we’ve discussed and debated the Grills Lounge many times, IMG_6151.thumb.jpeg.53f672f0cda6c8ed49943deedec9bba2.jpegIMG_6151.thumb.jpeg.53f672f0cda6c8ed49943deedec9bba2.jpegso for those who are interested, here are a couple of images

IMG_6154.jpeg

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Good morning, good morning to all.  Yesterday was another truly memorable day for me....

Seriously, the "like" button isn't sufficient here.  Another wonderful post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1