QA British Isles Voyage

Megabear2

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just returned from a brilliant audience with the legendary Frank Bruno (no idea why he’s not been knighted). 

Final question - “Of all the people you encountered, who hit you the hardest”

Frank - “The tax man” 😂

Totally concur, what an amazing man and yes a knighthood well overdue if only for his mental health work and advocacy.  So good to see such a receptive audience with standing room filled and people sitting on the floor to ensure they saw him.

One of life's gentlemen.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Perhaps he owes money to the Revenue (ie us.)

I recall him having very little money left after his extremely messy divorce.  At one point he was apparently living in an outhouse at his home.  

Like a lot of hugely popular figures with the public he appears to be overlooked for not being in the right sport or having the temerity to have lost a few times.  

Having just been to his book signing I mentioned a visit to a swimming pool in east London he used to come to with his family where he was extremely popular at the time and he astonished me by not only remembering it but also my very good friend who was the chief coach back then.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I recall him having very little money left after his extremely messy divorce.  At one point he was apparently living in an outhouse at his home.  

Like a lot of hugely popular figures with the public he appears to be overlooked for not being in the right sport or having the temerity to have lost a few times.  

Having just been to his book signing I mentioned a visit to a swimming pool in east London he used to come to with his family where he was extremely popular at the time and he asterisk me by not only remembering it but also my very good friend who was the chief coach back then.

Failure to have your tax affairs in order is a very common reason why people don’t get honours when you would expect them to. (Or, perhaps failure to have a clever enough accountant.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Failure to have your tax affairs in order is a very common reason why people don’t get honours when you would expect them to. (Or, perhaps failure to have a clever enough accountant.)

Reminds me of the lines of another (sadly late) great Brit, Sir Ken Dodd.

“When income tax was first introduced it was just 1%……….I thought it still was”

and

”I told the Inland Revenue that I didn’t owe them a penny because I lived near the seaside”

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

He does have an MBE and I would have thought that his mental health work is more than enough to qualify for proper recognition. Any tax problems were very many years ago, cleared and a major part of his complete mental breakdown - unlike the aforementioned Ken Dodd he did not go to court or get charged by HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/minister-visits-frank-bruno-foundation-mental-health-initiative

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

He does have an MBE and I would have thought that his mental health work is more than enough to qualify for proper recognition. Any tax problems were very many years ago, cleared and a major part of his complete mental breakdown - unlike the aforementioned Ken Dodd he did not go to court or get charged by HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/minister-visits-frank-bruno-foundation-mental-health-initiative

One of sports true gentlemen, 100% agree a knighthood is long overdue.

Hopefully the King reads these boards 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have no idea about his tax affairs, though his attitude was made evident in his joke. His failure to get a knighthood may be totally unrelated, and, unlike K. Dodd, he has not been taken to court, but the IR does have a veto over every honours list, and will veto anyone who just has money outstanding, until it is paid.

5 minutes ago, S1971 said:

What has it to do with the King?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Wouldn’t that be great? Sir Sam would approve. 😀But I think she has now turned east.

Phew!😅 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, S1971 said:

I thought I read somewhere, “MBE” after his name.  I may be mistaken.  I’m devastated that was his only conversation piece.  He just told me, in that wonderfully rich voice, that he and his small entourage are leaving tomorrow.  Our surrounding luncheon tables were raving (the people, not the tables) about this morning’s performance.  Standing room only, apparently.  Our loss, sadly.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What has it to do with the King?

The intention was to add a bit of humour.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Back to general reporting!!

I was extremely tired yesterday after two full days of excursions - I'll  speak about those separately - so decided that after my archery at 11.00am it would be a day of enjoying scenic cruising, taking in a swim followed by reading.   

There was a call out from the bridge and I had the good fortune to see a couple of whales as a result which was an unexpected surprise

You may recall I mentioned sign up for archery taking place on day 2 and it being very popular.  A date and time was allocated, you could not choose, and a piece of paper was handed to you with meeting instructions.  Typically me I noted the date and time but not the meeting place.  That was rather stupid of me as I knew it was at a swimming pool but rather stupidly along with 2 others picked the wrong one.  At 11.05am we realised our error and scurried off tail between our legs to the archery court.  This was on the rather cold side of the ship nut I'd hazard a guess in warm weather it will be very nice. Groups of 6 with one set firing 3 arrows while the second set sit.on nice chairs awaiting their turn. Us being the late arrivals had.missed the equipment demonstration.but when our turn came things were quickly explained and we donned the necessary equipment fairly quickly.  At the briefing at sign up we had been measured for arrow length and also leading eye.  Interestingly although right handed naturally I was to fire left handed.  This led to an interesting situation that being cackhanded I kept dropping my arrows when i went to load them.  Our guide had the patio a saint and kindly picked them up and loaded for me.  This isn't going to go too well I thought... well.im delighted to say I hit the red with my first arrow ... on my neighbour's board!  The next two went in under the target  thankfully this time my own.  I did improve on the second set, at least hitting own target.  My neighbour, a keen golfer was a natural as she hit the bullseye perfectly on each occasion after the first three arrows.  So all you golfers are going to be great archers it seems.  The session was 30 minutes and very good fun.  Definitely a winner going forward I'd say.

As Selbourne mentioned the scenic cruising was rather disappointing so I retired after lunch to the Pavillion where it was extremely pleasant with the roof open.  A lazy afternoon spent swimming and then reading with a couple of ice cold Peroni to accompany it.  Lovely relaxing afternoon which I thoroughly enjoyed.  

I went back via deck 1 as I wanted s coffee and it's a nice calm relaxed setting.  There is an interest set up with call.buttons for service if the area is quiet.  I pressed and as if by magic a lady appeared and took my order.  Very impressive although as the call.buttons are loose and not fixed I.do wonder how long they will last before being accidentally taken away!

Roaring twenties night beckoned so off to prepare for that.  There were various themed events around the ship, even the evening quiz was 1920's themed so off I wandered to check out the scene.  Most people had taken this one very much to heart with flapper dresses, boas etc highly prominent.  I had donned my beaded 1920's style dress complete with a rather complex headgear which drapes and drops sparkling loops rather flatteringly over your head - I'd had it made by a local maker for a bit of fun for my world cruise in 2019.  I had no idea how popular this thing would make me!  Everywhere I went waiters and staff came zooming over to speak about it and I most certainly had no invisible difficulties last night!  I'm thinking I should wear it every night, but the over indulgence of the repeat g&t and cocktails I enjoyed last night due to all.ghd attention would probably finish me off!!

Dinner.  Well what can I say?  The dinner menu for me was a main course disaster waiting to explode.  I have very many eating quirks including no fish that looks like fish(!), no skin.on any food and no bones anywhere in sight and that's just for starters!  There's a menu offering me Beef Wellington (too rich), duck and sea bass was a personal nightmare.  I therefore asked for always available which was salmon or steak.. I'd chosen gravalax starter and reasoned the salmon would have skin  so steak it was.  A few odd.moments with the waiters as to why I didn't want the menu items and we were off.

The steak arrived, a rather sorry looking piece - my fault I'd asked for medium to well done - with a single broccoli piece and the same of cauliflower with twelve (yes I counted them just for you Selbourne!) green beans. On cutting into the steak rather gingerly I hit a long run.of gristle and after trying in a couple of places decided to.put it aside and not eat it.  To be honest the chewy meat rather curtailed my appetite.  Within seconds the waiter was there wanting to change it, no I said I'm fine.  He seemed upset, went away and came back with his head waiter.  Again I explained all.is well, thank you for your concern.but I'm fine.  They disappeared, ah I though thank goodness that's over ... err maybe not!  They're back and this time I have the MD and restaurant manager to contend with.  Thankfully finally accepted a no thanks I.really don't need another meal.  

Goodness, I don't think I'll ever dare not to eat every scrap.in future.  Joking apart I got the distinct impression they were expecting me to.kick.up a fuss and make a complaint.  It certainly would explain the anxiety and desperate attempts to.bring more food.  I actually felt sorry for them that I did not eat it.

Marvin our waiter had been telling us that on the last cruise the waiting staff had gone through a very difficult time, and I felt the anxiety radiating from them when I chose not to eat the steak.  

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I thought I read somewhere, “MBE” after his name.  I may be mistaken.  I’m devastated that was his only conversation piece.  He just told me, in that wonderfully rich voice, that he and his small entourage are leaving tomorrow.  Our surrounding luncheon tables were raving (the people, not the tables) about this morning’s performance.  Standing room only, apparently.  Our loss, sadly.

He is indeed MBE.  The tax man comment was a joke, no more no less than many others amongst us might make when we see our own bills.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Our guide had the patio a saint

What was the rest of the garden like?

(Sorry, but I am guessing you are using that wonder of modern technology - predictive text)

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, david63 said:

(Sorry, but I am guessing you are using that wonder of modern technology - predictive text)

Probably St. Sebastian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, david63 said:

Well I do love a nice garden .. the plastic olive trees here in the Pavillion are truly spectacular...

I'm typing on my phone which with my arthritic fingers is interesting, basically I'm too lazy to swap to tablet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Probably St. Sebastian.

Presumably everyone else knows he's the patron saint of archers but just in case ...

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well I do love a nice garden .. the plastic olive trees here in the Pavillion are truly spectacular...

I'm typing on my phone which with my arthritic fingers is interesting, basically I'm too lazy to swap to tablet.

Ah, I had thought it was down to the dreaded autocarrot!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Apparently we have a passenger needing a medical evacuation. Not sure if that will be at sea or we will need to berth early. Either way, I’m sure all of us on board wish them well. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Apparently we have a passenger needing a medical evacuation. Not sure if that will be at sea or we will need to berth early. Either way, I’m sure all of us on board wish them well. 

Rather stupidly there is no security at the doors to the rear and a large crowd is there.  The announcement is a little too late to help the staff trying to sort it.