Hotel Edgewater in Seward

2southerncruisers

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Edgewater in the past year or so? I have read mixed reviews and more recent ones seem to be negative. It is around $500 (with taxes) for the night so want to be sure it’s a pretty decent place. I know most recommend Harbor 360 but it’s not an option for our dates. We have one night in Seward after our cruise then off to Anchorage via train for flight home. We will not have a car so we want to be within walking distance to conveniences.

The other option is to spend the day in Seward and head to Anchorage a day early. I would appreciate any feedback that will help me decide the most reasonable option. 

We are booked at the Embassy Suites in Anchorage the night before our early flight. Welcome any feedback on this place as well. 

Lodging in Alaska comes at a price (too, what not in Alaska.. :classic_biggrin:) is my experience, we've booked some conveniently located hotels too and in Anchorage even as short as for four or five hours of sleep and as long it's a decent enough bed and bathroom I will be happy. Some hotels looked really outdated, even some of the chain hotels. So not expecting much for those two, three star hotels.. They will sell their inventory anyway I guess.

Long reply short; I lowered expectations and will get some sleep on the flight back home. 

Safe travels! :classic_happy:

@2southerncruisers:  I am surprised at this price.  I just plugged in three random dates into the hotel search function of Expedia, and the prices I saw ranged from $350 ish to $282.  

We have stayed there, but it was prior to the pandemic.  We prefer Harbor 360 since we drive down to Seward (it is a place where Alaskans go for recreation) so have a car.  The parking is better at Harbor 360.  But the Edgewater, at least when we last stayed there, was fine but I did think that there as too much furniture in the room.

Thank you for the reply. The increased price may be due to the date of September 6. When I booked, it was $501 with taxes, but I can get it about $40 cheaper today on their website. I would like to stay at Harbor 360, but they only have a mountain view left. We currently have a water view at Edgewater. Would it be worth changing to Harbor 360 for about the same price? We will not have a car, so we want to be within walking distance to dinner, etc.

@2southerncruisers:  I just checked for September 6th and on Expedia I am seeing a price of $381 (includes taxes and fees) for either a King ocean view or Queen ocean view room at the Edgewater.  

The Edgewater is catty-corner to the SeaAlaska Center.  There are restaurants near by.  The Harbor 360 is also close to restaurants.  The Harbor 360 is closer to the Alaska Railroad terminal.

As I  remember the ocean view from the Edgewater it is certainly across the street.  The Harbor 360 ocean views are of the small boat harbor.  We all have our different priorities but I am not sure that after being on a ship for a week that an ocean view hotel room would be a high priority for me.

Downtown Seward is rather rectangular in shape.  It is easy to walk from one end to the other in about 20 to 25 minutes.

Keep an eye out for cancelations. We were originally booked at Hotel Edgewater but canceled when I was able to snag a harbor-view room at Harbor 360. I checked several times a day for about three weeks before getting lucky!

So, we’re sitting in our room at Hotel Edgewater right now…

We’re not booked at anything approaching the rate you’re seeing. But it’s early season and we booked months ago. When the other hotels people recommended were sold out. We’re in a water view room. It’s nice. Nothing spectacular and small, but the staff has been fine so far. 

Most I can say for now.