Regent's "New" Fare Options are Much Ado About Nothing imho

19 hours ago, rallydave said:

Well guess the title of this thread Much ado about nothing has now been proven to be false. 

Much  ado about significantly higher prices would be more apropos. 

I'm the OP and I agree with this comment😁

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaveFr said:

Here’s an example: A couple of weeks ago, I booked a Rome to Miami cruise in an F1. The cruise takes place in October 2025. The original fare for two, without air, was $40,498. Today the fare is $44,698. So, an increase of $2100 per person.

Dave

That’s an increase of a little more than 10% in two weeks. I know Regent tends to raise their fares every three months or so anyway. Does anybody have historical data on how much these quarterly increases are in percentage terms?  10% seems high to me but I don’t have data to support that impression. 

Maybe with these price increases Regent can afford to hire a few more people in Compass Rose and get service levels back where they used to be. I know I’m spoiled but I’m getting tired of having to flag someone down to get my water or wine glass refilled. 

5 hours ago, ysolde said:

Recently, I saw a review of Zipair's business class from the west coast to Japan.  There's an interesting concept.  For less than half the price of traditional business class, Zipair will provide you with a lie-flat seat to Japan.  And that's it.  No lounge.  No food (you can buy food on board).  But for many travelers, the savings may be worth it.  I wonder if we will start to see this low-cost business class model expand?  It is an interesting concept, especially for the self-funded business traveler.

Service is a huge part in my calculations for travel. Getting a large cabin on a cruise line with poor service and poor amenities would be a non starter for me. I think people are willing to pay for service and amenities and will continue to do so. This concept may work for some, but I'm not sure about the Regent crowd.

1 minute ago, captn337 said:

Service is a huge part in my calculations for travel. Getting a large cabin on a cruise line with poor service and poor amenities would be a non starter for me. I think people are willing to pay for service and amenities and will continue to do so. This concept may work for some, but I'm not sure about the Regent crowd.

No, I don't think it's for the Regent traveler.  But I do wonder whether it will have a place among the self-funded business travelers, who are budget-conscious but need to get a good night's sleep. 

Good information above, which identifies what part of higher prices is due to Regent itself, and not due to increased air, hotel, and transfer prices. We’ve gotten to the point of getting our air, hotel, and transfers, so the actual cruise fare is the important thing for us. Not long ago we put a refundable deposit on a cruise around the British Isles on another line, and then checked out the cost of the air we would like. It cost more than the cruise! That was a cruise not taken.