Oxygen and the Beach!

We have an upcoming cruise to Bermuda this August and this will be my first cruise using oxygen.  I would like to go to the beach and do a boat ride while in Bermuda.  Should I use portable tanks?  If  I use a POC, what is the best way to keep it dry/sand free?  

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lyn

I don't believe the cruise line will allow you to bring portable tanks.  If they did, how would you get them refilled?  I rent a full size concentrator from Scootaround to have in my room for nights and bring a portable (I like the Inogen G3)for use around the ship and off the ship.  I do lots of excursions and fasten my POC to my walker but do not go to beaches for obvious reasons.  You can't wrap it up in anything, it has to have unimpeded access to the air.  Sand would damage it and, of course, you can't take it in the water.  If anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them but I see it is one of the limitations I have to face due to my need for oxygen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

What cruise line are you going to be on?    They all have specific guidelines for bringing oxygen on board.   If you will be flying, check with your airline for their oxygen rules.  

We will be on the Carnival Venezia.  Carnival allows each passenger to bring 15 oxygen cylinders on board. Not that I plan to bring that many!! I will not be flying.  I am new to traveling with oxygen, but the M6 cylinders I use seem completely sealed.  I was hoping the cylinder would work at the beach and a POC for the rest of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Tagging onto this thread for information:  My husband recently became an oxygen user.  We have cruises booked with Carnival & Holland in the next year.  I have learned that NO oxygen tanks are allowed on airplanes, but the portable oxygen concentrator is.  I only checked Southwest, so other airlines may be different.  SW says he cannot charge the battery while in flight & he needs 150% of battery life for the duration of flight.

The cruise lines most likely all have different rules.  But the letter I got from Carnival says that only 1 tank is allowed to be kept in the cabin, any additional tanks will be stored for him.  There are companies that will deliver tanks to the ship for you, otherwise you must carry everything on yourself.  All this must be documented before you cruise & again at the cruise terminal & again at guest services once onboard.  

My husband has a "Zen-O lite" brand of POC, with 3 rechargeable batteries, ea lasting 4-6 hrs.  We are pretty sure this will be fine for airline, but not sure about the ships.  Still doing research...

He has said he will not go to the beach, it wouldn't be wise.  I am wondering if we will be extremely limited on shore ex.  My other concern is our HAL ship is an older ship with very few electrical outlets in the cabins, so we will need to figure that out before we go.

I have never taken an excursion that involved a beach.  If that is the only kind excursion offered, maybe you need to look at a different itinerary.  EM

• 3 weeks later...