Cruising with a wheelchair bound companion?

Hi,

My brother-in-law is now wheelchair bound as he had a stroke a couple of years ago where he never fully recovered the strength on his right side.  When he was a teenager, he wanted to work on cruise ships as a cruise director.  (He was on a Disney ship and hung out with the crew)  Unfortunately soon after, he was diagnosed with a seizure disorder that restricted what he could do.

He's now 53 years old and I was thinking that if there was a way for him to do a cruise now I'd try and plan it.  I'm thinking of doing a cruise out of Boston as that would eliminate flying to an airport.

I know that I have seen many passengers on cruise ships in wheelchairs. But I don't know if the ships that have handicapped accessible cabins.  Does anyone know?  Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Flip

Here's hoping you and your BIL have a great cruise!

You will find accessible cabins on most if not all ships sailing out of Boston. The cruise lines are terrific when it comes to access.

NCL has an access desk to make sure of what you need. I'm sure other lines do as well.

Bon Voyage

Posted (edited)

there is also a Special Interest Section on Cruise Critic for "disabled cruise travel"... looks like there are lots of tips there, including discussions on which ships people think are most "wheelchair friendly".

Edited by rjm11
  • Like 1

As someone who is handicapped, I use a scooter and a cane, they do have a small amount of handicapped-accessible cabins.  I usually book our vacations well in advance to secure one of these.  Special Needs will have you complete a form verifying the needs.  The ships are very handicap friendly IMHO.  

Is he in a power chair or a wheelchair?  Some cruise lines have very strict restrictions as to the size of power chairs.  Some are also saying that you are required to fill out a special form in order to bring a power chair on board.

I would suggest that you find a good local (not big box) travel agent to help you in making decisions for his cruise. 

On 5/29/2024 at 3:08 PM, 1bighund said:

Take a look at the youtube videos by ‘cruising with wheels’

On 5/29/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ellis1138 said:

I second the channel "Cruising with wheels". 

Also, NCL has a form to fill out for your needs. https://nclh.my.salesforce-sites.com/AccessDeskForm/

Just be sure to filter out the garbage those people say. It's really one of the worst channels on YouTube in the cruising world that I've seen. Nothing but muck. 

• Haha 1

We sail with my mom out of Boston all the time. She's mobile enough that she can get by in regular rooms using a walker, but there certainly are handicapped accessible rooms available.

Others have linked to the accessibility form. Aside from alerting them to his wheelchair, they can provide other items like shower chairs/toilet seat boosters, etc. that might be helpful.

If he is not in a power chair, be sure to request boarding and disembarking assistance for ship staff to push him up the numerous ramps to board (there are elevators within the port authority building, so that isn't an issue).  Those ramps are pretty steep so assistance will be welcome.  

If you're sailing to Bermuda, I can't remember whether there's a ramp to board/disembark, but I seem to recall it being pretty level. Some of the ramps in Canadian ports are super steep, depending on tides. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, TheycallmeFlip said:

Hi,

My brother-in-law is now wheelchair bound as he had a stroke a couple of years ago where he never fully recovered the strength on his right side.  When he was a teenager, he wanted to work on cruise ships as a cruise director.  (He was on a Disney ship and hung out with the crew)  Unfortunately soon after, he was diagnosed with a seizure disorder that restricted what he could do.

He's now 53 years old and I was thinking that if there was a way for him to do a cruise now I'd try and plan it.  I'm thinking of doing a cruise out of Boston as that would eliminate flying to an airport.

I know that I have seen many passengers on cruise ships in wheelchairs. But I don't know if the ships that have handicapped accessible cabins.  Does anyone know?  Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Flip

First off, what a nice thing to for him! What a kind gesture, especially since he wanted to work on a cruise ship before-you're a good brother-in-law to do this. And yes, as others have said, they absolutely DO have accessible cabins. You'll see them on the NCL website when you go to choose a cabin.

10 hours ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

... they can provide other items like shower chairs/toilet seat boosters, etc. that might be helpful....

Beware the handicap seat boosters. I can tell you from personal experience, major accidents can easily occur without proper aiming technique. Thank God I don't have to use those anymore.