Cruising To Amsterdam

Hi, We are thinking about booking a cruise to Amsterdam in February 2025 and wondered if anyone could tell us where we are likely to berth. The last time we cruised there  we were just up the road from the station but I don’t think they berth there anymore.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I may be wrong but recently on a cruise (not P and O) we were due to go to Rotterdam but they had some kind of demonstrations taking place and we were re-routed to Amsterdam. Our Captain said how lucky we were to be docking in the centre.  We later heard rumour that they were stopping berthing there at some time in the future.  May be total rumour.

Posted (edited)

My understanding is that ocean cruise ships are no longer to be allowed to berth in Amsterdam and that the cruise terminal near Piet Heinkade has been or will be closed. A visit last November on a Saga river cruise ship (still welcome) seemed to confirm this. We were tied up there at the quay where the ocean ships (used to?) berth but the terminal itself was locked and we had to go ashore by going around it rather than through it.

Edited by Denarius

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

My understanding is that ocean cruise ships are no longer to be allowed to berth in Amsterdam and that the cruise terminal near Piet Heinkade has been or will be closed. A visit last November on a Saga river cruise ship (still welcome) seemed to confirm this. We were tied up there at the quay where the ocean ships (used to?) berth but the terminal itself was locked and we had to go ashore by going around it rather than through it.

We were docked there in December just gone.

We were told that there is talk of them banning cruise ships from the city, but this hasn't been implemented yet. We docked there last August and I understand it's due there again next year, but they don't have many trips there a year (relative to the other ports that get more frequently visited).

I think they are doing some sort of building work round the station in Amsterdam which is why they are changing (hopefully temporarily) but they have certainly been docking centrally (we did last June) 

I have noticed the 2026 cruises say ‘from Ijmuiden’ so check on the map info when looking at future cruises.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had read that Amsterdam are looking (I think it has been firmly decided) to close the central Amsterdam docking location eventually, due to a building project or similar which will not allow ocean cruise ships to dock.  It is not going to happen straight away though, perhaps as long as a few years, but do not think it will be closed in the next year or so.  Must be something on the net somewhere, think the news came out a few months ago, perhaps about four or five months. 

Of course a lot of the mainstream lines stopped docking there in favour of Rotterdam or the port near the start of the canal (cannot spell that).  That, of course, was because of the tax placed on ships going to Amsterdam. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1