LIVE On M/S Rotterdam to North Cape, June 1-22

Someone’s pride and joy, a Citroen 2CV was parked in Bodo today. These quaint little cars make me smile! And don’t laugh, James Bond used one of these to make his escape in a famous car chase. 

IMG_2771.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I had put off writing it up, but tonight I decided I needed to…I did a HAL excursion focusing on a king crab meal, called King Crab and Campfire.

OMG...I literally just booked this excursion last night for the 2025 cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SDARCH said:

OMG...I literally just booked this excursion last night for the 2025 cruise.

I’m sure you can cancel it if desired…Or if they fix the problems it could be fine. I genuinely liked seeing the staffer hands-on with the huge crab, though carving it up was a little gruesome. Added after thinking about it…The serving size was not generous, though.

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

Someone’s pride and joy, a Citroen 2CV was parked in Bodo today. These quaint little cars make me smile! And don’t laugh, James Bond used one of these to make his escape in a famous car chase. 

IMG_2771.png

Even more off topic if you ever return to The Netherlands you can join a tour!

IMG_1256.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

M/S Rotterdam has left Norway behind, and we are proceeding across the North Sea today, headed for Scotland. I’ve attached a few shots of specialty dining areas on Rotterdam. We have Canaletto, Tamarind, and Club Orange.

IMG_2019.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

IMG_2771.png

The legendary Deux Chevaux, or Two Horses, so called because it had a two taxable horsepower engine (although the actual power was originally a massive 9hp 😀)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I’m sure you can cancel it if desired…Or if they fix the problems it could be fine

Very true.  It's a year out and since HA gave all of you a partial refund, I would imagine they are reaching out to the tour operator.  I'm at about 50/50 for excurision satisfaction as it is.

We took a tour in Prague in an antique car.  Top down.  Lots of fun!

9 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Even more off topic if you ever return to The Netherlands you can join a tour!

IMG_1256.jpeg

We have all seen the big hardshell lifeboats that obstruct the view from many rooms. Most have probably noticed the cylinders that you learned contained inflatable lifeboats. As we were heading out for shore assignments one day the crew was having drill announcements over the intercom and a group of drill Participants used the World Stage as the best area with room to practice setting up one of these inflatable boats. So now you know what it looks like. I’d rather not sink at all, but if my Dam ship ever sinks, I hope I get on one of the rigid boats! 😉

IMG_2447.jpeg

IMG_2450.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today we arrived in the Orkney Islands. Norway is behind us and we are now in the UK. The letter below was issued ahead of time, warning us that there would be a required passport check by UK border control for all passengers. I hadn’t entered the UK by ship since 2017 and I believe a similar procedure was followed then, but not sure. I had wondered if Brexit would affect things. I had an early shore excursion so did my passport in the first group. Standing in line was tedious, but not really that long. My time for the entire process was only 18 minutes. I suspect people in lighter groups took longer, however. The check itself was simple and just involved the staff member comparing the passport picture with the bearer. It’s me.

IMG_2705.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike you were extremely fortunate to get through that inspection so quickly. My experience aboard the Rotterdam last October in Portsmouth UK (having received that same form) was that the majority of the passengers ignored the instructions. When I got downstairs (I had an excursion) the line stretched from the World Stage to the dining room and then some. I approached staff telling them I needed to be in the front of that line and was directed to get in line with everyone else. I thought I would blow a gasket. I didn't miss my excursion but got to the bus with about 5 min to spare so I could well have missed it. Why the staff didn't control the situation I have no idea. 

• Like 1

For me the lesson is that on future cruises I must not sign up for early excursions on the first UK port! Except that I just looked it up…In September I’m on another HAL cruise with first UK arrival at 7 AM and an excursion I really want to take at 8 am. Uh oh….

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

For me the lesson is that on future cruises I must not sign up for early excursions on the first UK port!

You will be fine if you sign up for a HAL excursion and report to immigration when directed. They had to delay all the ship’s tours.  Like @grannyshell I was also on the Rotterdam TA last October.  Here’s what I wrote that day, This morning we needed to present our passport to British immigration. To say the least, the process was unorganized.  Late arrival…people lined up before 7:30 on deck 2 to enter the World stage….ship not cleared on time…LONG lines…tours assembling in BB Kings…gridlock.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 0106 said:

You will be fine if you sign up for a HAL excursion and report to immigration when directed. They had to delay all the ship’s tours.  Like @grannyshell I was also on the Rotterdam TA last October.  Here’s what I wrote that day, This morning we needed to present our passport to British immigration. To say the least, the process was unorganized.  Late arrival…people lined up before 7:30 on deck 2 to enter the World stage….ship not cleared on time…LONG lines…tours assembling in BB Kings…gridlock.  

Gridlock is an excellent description of that mess last year.

• Like 1

Foulis Castle, near Inverness, Scotland is the official home of the head of Clan Munro, though they haven’t actually resided there for many years. The original castle was built in 1300s. After it was destroyed in battle in the early 1700s the fortifications were obsolete, so the remains were incorporated in a mansion.

IMG_3715.jpeg

IMG_3689.jpeg

8X3A6524.jpeg

8X3A6511.jpeg

8X3A6498.jpeg

8X3A6488.jpeg

• Like 5