Good reminder not to share your travel info on the internet

16 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

How can anyone blame the cruiseline and say it's a security issue?

Because allowing someone to cancel someone else's cruise, with just a last name and booking number, both of which get repeatedly sent in unsecured emails... is just really, really lax security.

Like... 2003 called on your landline and warned you not to post your booking info on MySpace levels of lax.

"The same can be done for a Southwest ticket, Delta, and the list goes on."

You aren't wrong - which is why 89% of the travel industry failed in the security audits I mentioned.

This is not a Carnival security issue - this is an "almost the entire travel industry" has unacceptably lax security issue.

Edited by aborgman

4 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

How can anyone blame the cruiseline and say it's a security issue? The consumer allowed her private information public and from her account, someone followed the normal path to cancel her booking. Sure, there could be another layer to authenticate if its the real person but a security "flaw" would be someone hacking into her crusieline loyalty account and taking her booking details that way. Its falls on her and her husband 1000%. The same can be done for a Southwest ticket, Delta, and the list goes on. The cruiseline offered her compensation and she was greedy and now gets nothing. 

I don't know if you can really say she got nothing. She got her few minutes of fame, and by the way she seems to be basking in that, I would say it is something she has really enjoyed.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I don't know if you can really say she got nothing. She got her few minutes of fame, and by the way she seems to be basking in that, I would say it is something she has really enjoyed.

Probably has already monetized it for more than her alleged losses.

On 6/28/2024 at 6:04 AM, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

How can anyone blame the cruiseline and say it's a security issue? The consumer allowed her private information public and from her account, someone followed the normal path to cancel her booking. Sure, there could be another layer to authenticate if its the real person but a security "flaw" would be someone hacking into her crusieline loyalty account and taking her booking details that way. Its falls on her and her husband 1000%. The same can be done for a Southwest ticket, Delta, and the list goes on. The cruiseline offered her compensation and she was greedy and now gets nothing. 

The fact that all you need is a booking number and you cancel a booking is laughable.  Sadly, it wouldn't be that hard.  All I would need is an email and I could probably cancel it. Carnival and the entire travel industry are in danger of negligence since this came up if they do not make any changes in the future.  

19 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

The fact that all you need is a booking number and you cancel a booking is laughable.  Sadly, it wouldn't be that hard.  All I would need is an email and I could probably cancel it. Carnival and the entire travel industry are in danger of negligence since this came up if they do not make any changes in the future.  

Nah, whats laughable is that silly consumer who invited this issue by posting her booking information on social media. Don't confuse negligence with being culpable + stupidity .

23 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

You would need more than just a booking number.

18 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Nah, whats laughable is that silly consumer who invited this issue by posting her booking information on social media. Don't confuse negligence with being culpable + stupidity .

Once a security flaw is identified, it is on them to fix it.

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You would need more than just a booking number.

Booking number and last name, and the last name is easily found.  

6 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Its not a flaw when the correct path was used to cancel a booking. If thats the case then hundreds of bookings would fave the same fate each and every week. This issue is on the consumer, full stop. 

9 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

and PIN if cancelling over the phone, which was not what allegedly happened.

Someone allegedly created a duplicate account, which takes a first and last name, date of birth, phone number and more. If this happened at all, it was identity theft, as Carnival has said.

Meanwhile, while the grifter hasn't posted anything else that has been picked up, so either she shut up of someone shut her up. But the virus (false rumor) carries on.

Edited by BlerkOne