MSC YC Seashore June 2 Mom and Daughter sail YC

jean87510

39 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

That is a good point ? Though others were observed to be "fawned" over. What would make some be fawned over ? That is the question. 

B2b?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

bribery?

How can that be ? Bribery as you stated earlier, is a legal term for doing something illegal and tipping in advance to be fawned over is not an illegal act. It is actually recommended by academics.

"Tipping experts, however, suggest that workers who get advance tips try very hard to justify the trust they received: Brenner (2001) claims, “The advance tip is the most effective method for assuring results… This strategy will insure that you’ll be taken care of with the highest degree of consideration,” and Star (1988) suggests about hotel concierge “If you want to be fawned over, tip the concierge upon arrival as you introduce yourself.”

https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de/econ-wp/lab/papers/0309/0309002.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jean87510 said:

So would I do YC again on this ship?  Still not sure.  Here's why.

1.  I like skipping lines.  Other than embarkation, always was in lines getting on ship at ports.  Even yesterday at Nassau, special YC area gone by the time we arrived.  Although it was late, we had 30 YC guests or 10% from Sun Cay.

2.  Door for deck 18 and 19 broken the entire cruise.  Yes, was addressed not only by me but others.

3.  Extremely disorganized staff in restaurant.  We never had same table, waiter...  Yes, I did talk to concierge to ask what I should do and commented to YC director yesterday before I got off ship in Nassau.  She offered a bottle of wine and I said no, we were treated as well as others like afterthoughts.  Only the big groups and b2b were replenished with water and drinks.  A bottle of wine is an insult.  Correct your staff.  My daughter told her we almost missed an excursion and were late for a show even after my mom said something because no one checked on us plus our food was cold once.  So based on the food, I wouldn't choose YC again.  It was not good.  Plus yesterday, again, we were downstairs for high tea in the TSL.  For 35 minutes everyone around us got attention, drink orders taken, tea poured...  We ordered originally from TSL bar when we walked in.  No drink.  My daughter got up to ask and the bar staff said what did you want again?  We asked the one waiter about the tea items and he said oh you wanted it?  I kid you not.  After this we went back to YC director.  I said look, this is getting ridiculous how we keep getting ignored.  This was an experience we both wanted to see and honestly your staff just ruined it by ignoring us.  People who came in after us were being fawned over.  My daughter said to her we were treated as if we didn't belong there or weren't good enough.  The YC director did apologize for that and asked if we wanted a special dinner or to go back in as we just left and I said no, the damage was done.  We just want you to know what happened and why this experience was subpar with the TSL.

The pool deck bar was much better and friendly.

4.  Our room attendant and butler were nice but we never once got 1 bottle of alcohol other than my Diamond bottle.  No daily treats.  Just chocolate next to pillow.

In conclusion, I like YC but not on this ship.  May be the size of ship, the shorter itinerary?  We have the Magnifica in November and will probably cancel the Seashore YC in November as I honestly don't want to pay for an experience and have to jump through hoops to get what I want.  

Hey! We were on this sailing - and recognize you from your photos. I can help but read your 3rd point in this thread and. Honestly my wife and I verbatim said a lot of the same things you did! We felt like we were after thoughts and the servers were treating others who were in big groups - or clearly repeat cruisers on this ship in the YC differently like everyone else! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am so sorry this happened to you. It makes me wonder what happened to the staff from when we got off in Mid May and you got on June 2. It was our first cruise on MSC and we didn’t tip until the 2nd to last day so that wasn’t the issue. We saw our butler multiple times a day. We got our newspaper, bottle of booze and daily snacks.The chef came to our table every night to check on the food he went to every table..the doors all worked on our cruise too. We had the same waiter every night. The only difference I see was a 4 day versus 7 but why would that matter? However We didn't have any large groups. I wonder who they were and who MSC was trying to impress.You are very gracious in your comments.I am stunned at the difference in treatment.

Edited by Mommapadraig

4 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

The only difference I see was a 4 day versus 7 but why would that matter?

I've asked that question before when reading 3/4 night reviews vs. 7 night reviews. The shorter cruises seem to have sub-par experiences according to many people. 

1 hour ago, mrgame101 said:

We felt like we were after thoughts and the servers were treating others who were in big groups - or clearly repeat cruisers on this ship in the YC differently like everyone else! 

I do admit that being a repeat YC customer has it's benefits especially if the staff members remember you from previous sailings and/or from other ships. I wouldn't say that 1st timers are "mistreated" but I can understand how seeing certain guests getting extra attention could be a bit disturbing. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I've asked that question before when reading 3/4 night reviews vs. 7 night reviews. The shorter cruises seem to have sub-par experiences according to many people. 

I do admit that being a repeat YC customer has it's benefits especially if the staff members remember you from previous sailings and/or from other ships. I wouldn't say that 1st timers are "mistreated" but I can understand how seeing certain guests getting extra attention could be a bit disturbing. 

The other thing I thought of after posting is that there may have been 3 kids in the yacht club. So even though the YC was sold out it was 2 people per room. The whole ship was like that. The only kids we saw were toddlers.We only cruise after spring break and before summer vacation. Or Late September and right after New Years.That still  doesn’t tell us who the large groups were that they were trying to impress.there was one table of 6 that  were important to them on our cruise.we always knew when they were coming in because of the care taken preparing their table. However they had a special waiter that we only saw when they were in the restaurant so it didn’t impact our service at all.  They only spoke Italian so who knows….

Edited by Mommapadraig

38 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

That still  doesn’t tell us who the large groups were that they were trying to impress.there was one table of 6 that  were important to them on our cruise.we always knew when they were coming in because of the care taken preparing their table. However they had a special waiter that we only saw when they were in the restaurant so it didn’t impact our service at all.  They only spoke Italian so who knows….

Maybe friends/acquaintances of the Aponte family.  

Sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Only the big groups and b2b were replenished with water and drinks.

We were on a B2B last year that was a 7-night plus a 4-night. The day the 4-nighters boarded, the concierge walked past us at the TSL bar and said something to the effect of "I have to give these new guests the initial talk and I hope we don't disturb you." And then the day of disembarkation, there was a table at breakfast that hadn't learned the names of the various people in the TS restaurant and were incensed (yes, incensed seems the best word to describe their surprising behavior) that we were -- as they stated it -- fawned over and they were ignored. I think both crew and guests simply don't have enough time to bond on the shorter cruises, unfortunately.

• Like 3

On 6/6/2024 at 6:41 PM, Best Cat Mom said:

We were on a B2B last year that was a 7-night plus a 4-night. The day the 4-nighters boarded, the concierge walked past us at the TSL bar and said something to the effect of "I have to give these new guests the initial talk and I hope we don't disturb you." And then the day of disembarkation, there was a table at breakfast that hadn't learned the names of the various people in the TS restaurant and were incensed (yes, incensed seems the best word to describe their surprising behavior) that we were -- as they stated it -- fawned over and they were ignored. I think both crew and guests simply don't have enough time to bond on the shorter cruises, unfortunately.

I absolutely agree as I witnessed this on my b2b on Divina with 7 vs 3 day.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 2:56 PM, mrgame101 said:

Hey! We were on this sailing - and recognize you from your photos. I can help but read your 3rd point in this thread and. Honestly my wife and I verbatim said a lot of the same things you did! We felt like we were after thoughts and the servers were treating others who were in big groups - or clearly repeat cruisers on this ship in the YC differently like everyone else! 

Ty!  I thought I was being picky but my daughter noticed it as well and she is far from a prima Donna.  She had a great time but said the food was not good, service was pretty bad in TSL and restaurant, and weak pours (her words) on the drinks.

On 6/6/2024 at 4:06 PM, Mommapadraig said:

I am so sorry this happened to you. It makes me wonder what happened to the staff from when we got off in Mid May and you got on June 2. It was our first cruise on MSC and we didn’t tip until the 2nd to last day so that wasn’t the issue. We saw our butler multiple times a day. We got our newspaper, bottle of booze and daily snacks.The chef came to our table every night to check on the food he went to every table..the doors all worked on our cruise too. We had the same waiter every night. The only difference I see was a 4 day versus 7 but why would that matter? However We didn't have any large groups. I wonder who they were and who MSC was trying to impress.You are very gracious in your comments.I am stunned at the difference in treatment.

lol we had no idea who the Maitre'd let alone the chef, let alone the hostess, waiters names were!  We knew our waiters on the Divina where they were from.  Very pleasant and engaging.  

One thing that drove us nuts and we kept asking the room attendant for was towels for the ports.  We had to keep going to 20 for towels.  I was just in an inside cabin on the NCL spirit where my room was cleaned 1x a day and the woman who cleaned it asked me day 1 when was good and kept to the schedule.  Always gave us towels even on sea days.  Without me handing her any cash up front.  

This was all addressed with YC director and nothing changed.  

We still had fun as I refused to let it ruin my time with my daughter.  But definitely NOT what is advertised.  I had better service on my 3 day Reflection cruise the prior weekend in a much cheaper cabin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

This was all addressed with YC director and nothing changed.

Was this before or after you removed the hotel service charges? Word has a way of spreading like wildfire. This is a very intriguing thread. Why are you not getting the service most of us get from the very beginning of your cruise ? Being overcrowded is no excuse. Understaffed ? Untrained new staff ? Any lame excuses from staff willing to make an excuse? Or are you just too easy going and pour your travails out on Cruise Critic like I do. I like to take photos and short videos of the problems I encounter.