Bringing Wine OnBoard

resordanis

Posted (edited)

Afternoon all,

Just booked my first cruise with Cunard since Pre Covid.Just wondering how strict they will be with bringing wine onboard I.e. can we bring more than 1 bottle each? I do remember prior to Covid there really were not any rules or limits.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by resordanis
Spelling

Carnival UK are tightening the rules on taking alcohol on board - how rigorously those rules are/will be enforced is another question.

I don't believe that there has been any tightening of the rules, and that for the time being you can bring any amount of alcohol with you. See this thread and my post 15 after discussions with QM2's security.

26 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I don't believe that there has been any tightening of the rules, and that for the time being you can bring any amount of alcohol with you. See this thread and my post 15 after discussions with QM2's security.

Officially it's one bottle per person though... but of course you can put some in checked in luggage and some in carry on, so it's not really that enforceable and as you found out it's not really policed anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

but of course you can put some in checked in luggage

There have been recent reports that some P&O passengers that had bottles in their checked baggage were called to security to open their cases and if it was alcohol then it was impounded until the end of the cruise.

Fact or fiction I cannot vouch for.

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

There have been recent reports that some P&O passengers that had bottles in their checked baggage were called to security to open their cases and if it was alcohol then it was impounded until the end of the cruise.

Fact or fiction I cannot vouch for.

But there seem to be no reports of any similar happening to Cunard passengers. 

• Like 1

The rule has always stated "one bottle" but in the seventeen years that we've been sailing with Cunard, it has never been enforced.

We always take six bottles of fizz with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The rule has always stated "one bottle" but in the seventeen years that we've been sailing with Cunard, it has never been enforced.

I've got no skin in this game, but the "rules" have been in place for a long, long time, but Cunard - perhaps unlike P&O, has always treated us as adults. So on a long list of issues there may be a rule (alcohol, boarding times, disembarkation time, 10 minute "rule" on drink packages, hair dryers, power adapters, grill terrace, three rounds of ice cream) but it's just not enforced since we are assumed to be sensible people. Long may it continue.

(One of the above rules I made up, by the way).

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Until about five or six years ago on the US site there was a disclaimer after the one bottle rule. I have to paraphrase it: "It is not our intention to enforce this rule but we reserve the right to do so if necessary."  I thought that was very civilised. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, resordanis said:

Afternoon all,

Just booked my first cruise with Cunard since Pre Covid.Just wondering how strict they will be with bringing wine onboard I.e. can we bring more than 1 bottle each? I do remember prior to Covid there really were not any rules or limits.

Thanks in advance.

In Martinique one rolled on a barrel of Rhum, plus a trolly with multiple bottles including 6 Filbuste.

The barrel caused much amusement….  Think it was a first.

If there are thoughts regarding Southampton Customs, one of our Porters wheeled the barrel, boxes etc all the way to the waiting people carrier.  Not stopped.

At a Southampton embarkation, have actually seen a pax with a trolly loaded with three cases of “Widower”.

Be as generous to oneself as wished…..Enjoy

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 2