Drinking age on a Med Cruise?

Hi.  I have been googling and gotten various answers, so I thought I'd try here.

We are doing a NCL Viva cruise from Trieste to Athens.   My daughter is 20.  She can drink there legally on land, but what is the protocol for while at sea?  

6 minutes ago, cruiser123! said:

Hi.  I have been googling and gotten various answers, so I thought I'd try here.

We are doing a NCL Viva cruise from Trieste to Athens.   My daughter is 20.  She can drink there legally on land, but what is the protocol for while at sea?  

I believe the area you're cruising in has no bearing on drinking age.  I think it's based on the cruise line's policies.  I believe NCL has a FAQ you can look up that will tell you what the age is.

9 minutes ago, cruiser123! said:

From NCL.com FAQ's:

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol while in US sailings.

Parental consent is required for guests 18 to 20 to consume only beer and wine while vessels is in international waters. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. In Alaska and Hawaii waters parental consent is NOT permitted for guests 18 to 20 years old.

Europe sailing permits young adults 18 to 20 to purchase and personally consume alcohol while onboard.

China/Asia:
Do not serve or sell alcohol to guests under 21 years of age. Parental consent is NOT permitted for guests 18 to 20 while in China/ Asia waters.

Australia/New Zealand:
Do not serve or sell alcohol to guests under 21 years of age. Parental consent is required for guests 18 to 20 to serve or sell only beer and wine while in international waters.

• Like 1

We sailed NCL on a Baltic cruise last summer. Just confirming - the FAQ posted above is correct. Our 18yo could drink anything and was not limited to beer/wine, no waiver needed. We asked the first time we ordered, b/c there was still a sign stating 21+ at the bar, and they said just ignore that for Europe sailings.   

5 hours ago, Manchester is blue said:

The legal age to consume alcohol in Europe is 18.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

She will be able to drink alcohol on a Med cruise. Here in the US parents can sign beer/wine waivers for 18 - 20 year olds.

2 hours ago, cmph said:

We sailed NCL on a Baltic cruise last summer. Just confirming - the FAQ posted above is correct. Our 18yo could drink anything and was not limited to beer/wine, no waiver needed. We asked the first time we ordered, b/c there was still a sign stating 21+ at the bar, and they said just ignore that for Europe sailings.   

@ColeThornton Posted #3 with NCL's policy "Europe sailing permits young adults 18 to 20 to purchase and personally consume alcohol while onboard."