Viking River cruise Lyon & Provence shore excursions questions

sboh

If you have done any of the following excursions can you tell me about them and if you felt they were worthwhile:

1) Tournon steam train (included excursion)

I’m thinking of skipping it to visit the Valrhona chocolate factory instead?

2) Les Baux and Carrieres de Lumieres (optional excursion in Arles)

3) Timeless Town of Perouges (optional excursion in Lyon)

I did this cruise last year, from Avignon to Lyon.

Yes, I enjoyed the Tournon steam train. The alternative is not to go on it but to stay on the boat, because the boat departed shortly after the excursion left and after the train ride coaches took us to join the boat which had sailed up river.

But maybe you are travelling the other way and it's different: perhaps you could mention which direction to assist us in giving accurate advice?

I didn't take the other excursions you mention.

You can read my account of my cruise here

Trip Report - Lyon & Provence - Viking Denning 15 - 21 August 2023 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

We have been to Valrhona and Les Baux and loved both. We did them on our own rather than through a cruise. For us, I suppose doing them as an excursion would depend on the price since it sounds like they are optional excursions. But if you love chocolate, Valrhona is great, and Les Baux is certainly unique. I don't suggest Les Baux, though, if the mistral winds are blowing through!

I am sailing from Avignon to Lyon also so that is good information, I assumed the ship would be in Tournon until the steam train excursion returned at 12:30 so I’ll probably just do it as it is included anyway. I’ll just have to buy some Valrhona chocolate in a shop. I’m leaning toward doing the Les Baux and Carrieres de Lumieres optional excursion but maybe I’ll wait until onboard as I’ve heard about those winds. Thank-you

5 hours ago, sboh said:

I’m leaning toward doing the Les Baux and Carrieres de Lumieres optional excursion but maybe I’ll wait until onboard as I’ve heard about those winds.

The winds won't bother you in the Carrières des Lumières, as it's an old salt mine.  I don't know who the featured artists will be for your visit, but it is an amazing experience.  [I have seen pictures of the other Carrières sites around the world, which are all re-purposed buildings – I think the unevenness of the salt mine makes this one more magical.  But I will be checking out the one in Bordeaux anyway because Les Baux's was so great]

On 6/3/2024 at 4:15 PM, sboh said:

3) Timeless Town of Perouges (optional excursion in Lyon)

We did the Timeless Town of Pérouges excursion.  Very interesting, compact town that involves some walking on uneven surfaces.  We actually went in the afternoon after our optional walking tour in the morning Trek Vieux Lyon.  Quite a bit more walking, but for half the price we saw so much more of historical Lyon than the included.   If I had to choose one, I'd opt for Trek Vieux Lyon.