Live from Virtuosa June 2024

Eglesbrech

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Eglesbrech! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Eglesbrech was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Well we are off on the long journey south from Scotland, at least the weather looks good for the drive. As ever we will stay over and stop off on the journey to see or do something of interest.

The plan is to get to Southampton mid day on Sunday as there is a Take That concert on later in the day and the roads and town are likely to be busy. A quiet day before embarking the ship on Monday.

We are sailing to the Canary Islands, Madeira etc and have visited all the ports many times before so know them well and what we plan to do. This cruise is a departure for us. We have only ever travelled on MSC in the Yacht Club but as this was a last minute booking (to add onto another cruise in June and make the long journey worthwhile) we are trying the Aurea experience for the first time.

We have travelled on Virtuosa several times so know the ship really well. As we have always stayed in the YC area in the evenings other than to visit the theatre so it will be interesting to experience something different. 

We are all organised for check in which was easy enough except for taking the photo. Up a bit, down a bit, chin up, chin down, closer, further away ad nasium then when it did eventually take a picture it’s was particularly ugly!

The weather for the ports looks good which is always a bonus (particularly if you live in what is probably the worlds wettest country, stunningly beautiful but mainly wet).

Embarkation Day 1

Very smooth embarkation, 15 minutes from car park to the ship.

We booked our speciality dining whenever we boarded and I’m glad we did as the queues for this later in the day were massive. We also booked our evening theatre shows.

Headed to the buffet at noon, before the crowds descended and enjoyed a really good selection of curry, pakora etc.. I’m not a fan of buffets and only went to look but the curry looked (and was) really good. We sat outside to enjoy the food and the view.

We have never eaten at the main buffet before and the choice is really extensive. Much better than some other lines. I also liked the “call” buttons for drinks orders.

We tried a couple of cocktails while waiting for our room to be ready and I have a new favourite. The Queens which is ginger based and would be good for seasickness, that’s my excuse to have one in the afternoon!. The  drinks menus are the normal ones (after the short menus for mini cruises) but not everything is available in all of the bars even if it is on the menu. There is however a decent choice so all good.

Our cases were at the cabin once it was ready. Cabin is fine, the wardrobe is a bit on the small side but perfectly adequate.

We enjoyed the theatre show, though we have seen it before. The cast have good vocals and the dancers are energetic.

Dinner was perfectly acceptable as well. A hot chocolate followed, then off to bed .

The “Good Ship Murder” is filming onboard at the moment and they are looking for extras from current cruisers. Shirley Balis and Eddie the Eagle are joining the cruise later in the week as well.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well we are off on the long journey south from Scotland, at least the weather looks good for the drive. As ever we will stay over and stop off on the journey to see or do something of interest.

The plan is to get to Southampton mid day on Sunday as there is a Take That concert on later in the day and the roads and town are likely to be busy. A quiet day before embarking the ship on Monday.

We are sailing to the Canary Islands, Madeira etc and have visited all the ports many times before so know them well and what we plan to do. This cruise is a departure for us. We have only ever travelled on MSC in the Yacht Club but as this was a last minute booking (to add onto another cruise in June and make the long journey worthwhile) we are trying the Aurea experience for the first time.

We have travelled on Virtuosa several times so know the ship really well. As we have always stayed in the YC area in the evenings other than to visit the theatre so it will be interesting to experience something different. 

We are all organised for check in which was easy enough except for taking the photo. Up a bit, down a bit, chin up, chin down, closer, further away ad nasium then when it did eventually take a picture it’s was particularly ugly!

The weather for the ports looks good which is always a bonus (particularly if you live in what is probably the worlds wettest country, stunningly beautiful but mainly wet).

Embarkation Day 1

We booked our speciality dining whenever we boarded and I’m glad we did as the queues for this later in the day were massive. We also booked our evening theatre shows.

Headed to the buffet at noon, before the crowds descended and enjoyed a really good selection of curry, pakora etc.. I’m not a fan of buffets and only went to look but the curry looked (and was) really good. We sat outside to enjoy the food and the view.

We have never eaten at the main buffet before and the choice is really extensive. Much better than some other lines. I also liked the “call” buttons for drinks orders.

We tried a couple of cocktails while waiting for our room to be ready and I have a new favourite. The Queens which is ginger based and would be good for seasickness, that’s my excuse to have one in the afternoon!. The  drinks menus are the normal ones (after the short menus for mini cruises) but not everything is available in all of the bars even if it is on the menu. There is however a decent choice so all good.

Our cases were at the cabin once it was ready. Cabin is fine, the wardrobe is a bit on the small side but perfectly adequate.

We enjoyed the theatre show, though we have seen it before. The cast have good vocals and the dancers are energetic.

Dinner was perfectly acceptable as well. A hot chocolate followed, then off to bed .

The “Good Ship Murder” is filming onboard at the moment and they are looking for extras from current cruisers. Shirley Balis and Eddie the Eagle are joining the cruise later in the week as well.

Thanks! We're travelling from Glasgow in a few weeks time!

Where did you stop off? We were thinking ~Penrith and ~Warwick before an overnight with friends in Abingdon. This would leave us with an hour's drive on the morning of the cruise.

Did you book your shows on the app when you got on the ship? 

We've never been on Virtuosa before - done Seaview a few years ago so if you have top tips please let us know 👌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Embarkation Day 1

Thank you for doing this! Subscribed and following with interest. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

Where did you stop off? We were thinking ~Penrith and ~Warwick before an overnight with friends in Abingdon. This would leave us with an hour's drive on the morning of the cruise.

We've never been on Virtuosa before - done Seaview a few years ago so if you have top tips please let us know 👌

We live about 80 mins north of Southampton and travel to just south of Glasgow (East Kilbride) regularly to visit my wife’s mother. Returning from EK we usually stop at Tebay Services and then Stafford North. 

• Like 1

we were on board Virtuosa last week-5 day to Rotterdam,Cork and Falmouth[tender port cancelled through high waves

it was our first MSC cruise but we were status matched with NCL as gold

I'm doing a day by day review after the event with my thoughts and particularly travelling with grandchildren

its called cruising with walking difficulties and a pushchair

I wasnt able to find many reviews such as yours pre cruise on Virtuosa so will be following along   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At first I was wondering why you left Scotland today to go on a cruise next Monday but then I realised that you actually boarded yesterday. 😊 I hope you enjoy the cruise, thanks for taking us along.

Nice to read that there will be a new season of the Good Ship Murder. DH and I really enjoyed the first season. The stories are completely unrealistic, but we enjoyed trying to figure out where scenes were filmed, both on the ship and in the different ports. I do wonder how much it will disrupt your cruise with areas that might be blocked off for passengers. I seem to remember several scenes that were recorded in the Carroussel lounge and the Top Sail Lounge, so maybe it is a good thing you're not in the Yacht Club. 😉🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewWestwardbound said:

We live about 80 mins north of Southampton and travel to just south of Glasgow (East Kilbride) regularly to visit my wife’s mother. Returning from EK we usually stop at Tebay Services and then Stafford North. 

I've heard great things about Tebay 🤣

Definitely following along with interest! We just booked this itinerary yesterday on the MSC Virtuosa for next April after a Transatlantic crossing on HAL's Nieuw Statendam. Ironically when  we disembark it is heading for the Canary Islands as well. During the three days between our cruises, we are considering visiting the Isle of Wight.

I need to check to see if we have "Good Ship Murder" available on cable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, amurray88 said:

We have several stop offs on the way down but this time as it was last minute we just stayed at a Days Inn on the m6 toll then a night in Southampton.

Yes the first 4 shows were on the app on day 1. After that so far they release a show a day. There are 3 shows per evening.

Will do re any tips that come to mind.

• Like 3

Day 2 at sea

We went for breakfast at 8am and encountered some very unhappy cruisers. Apparently my very positive experience of embarkation, luggage delivery etc was not how it worked out for them and they felt the need to share in great detail with everyone around them. Later in the day there had apparently been long queues, “queue jumpers”  and luggage had gone to cabins quite late in the afternoon / evening. 

Breakfast was perfectly pleasant if not as hot as it could be, the quality of the actual produce was good. We ate in Minueto and had a nice sea view. After breakfast off for a stroll, a proper coffee (the one thing I would really fault at breakfast was the tasteless coffee, like slightly frightened hot water) and then the quiz. The coffee from the bars is much nicer.

We sat up on our balcony in the sun and the dolphins decided to put on a show for us! Just lovely and they played around the ship for ages, they are quite common in these waters.

Having enjoyed the choice on offer at the buffet on day 1 we went up there again at noon but it was absolutely heaving - very loud and crowded so we left. We waited until the restaurant was open and while it was also busy at least the food came to me and I didn’t have to queue for it. Again like breakfast the food was tepid, not hot and the service a little slow. As we were in no rush we just sat and chatted between courses. It amazes me the number of couples who never break breathe to each other through an entire meal. The most the lady next to us said the whole meal was “thank you” and that was to me for passing the butter - not a word to her husband.

There are few physical menus on offer and at the door staff were encouraging you to snap the QR code to get the menu. From the point of view of hygiene and less waste of paper this is fine as long as they keep menus for those without a smart phone who need them (which they do). QR codes are used for bar menus and food. 

A paper copy of the daily programme is no longer issued to the cabin either (which it was on our last cruise). Information is all on the app or you can get a paper copy from reception (I know this because someone in the lunch queue was being quite nippy to the staff member about how other cruise lines manage to have proper menus and still deliver daily programmes each evening to the cabin. 

The afternoon was sunny so we went up to the open decks and left again quickly as the place was mobbed with people. Thank the Lord for a quiet balcony to hide away on. Sea days are the same on most cruise ships.

We went for a pre show drink and found seats easily. There are times when the ship is actually very quiet and others when if feels mobbed. The trick is finding your way around the peak times where possible.

The evening show was a fiddler with a large helping of quirky style and very enjoyable. There are a lot of rude people on here at the moment coming into a show halfway through or leaving at random times.

Dinner was very nice but I’m finding everything is just warm and not piping hot the way I would normally eat. It’s not so cold you would return it  but a few degrees hotter would be nice. The aubergine Parmazan was excellent, and my veal pasta lovely. OH enjoyed his food but looked enviously at mine, I always find the Italian choices are amongst the best. Love the fresh bread provided at every meal as well.

Another enjoyable day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We went for a pre show drink and found seats easily. There are times when the ship is actually very quiet and others when if feels mobbed. The trick is finding your way around the peak times where possible.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself so far, especially outside of YC for the first time.  

Your paragraph above absolutely nails how to deal with (any) large ship cruising.

And how to deal with the buffet on Virtuosa - avoid 8-9am and 12-1pm.  Everyone congregates around the food (in case it goes somewhere).   The aft inside / outside seating and forward towards the doors out to the pool deck are generally quieter.   And usually attentive service for drinks using the bell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

As we were in no rush we just sat and chatted between courses. It amazes me the number of couples who never break breathe to each other through an entire meal. The most the lady next to us said the whole meal was “thank you” and that was to me for passing the butter - not a word to her husband.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

From the point of view of hygiene

We empathetize with the "no talkers". Cruisers today are. apprehensive, cautious, hesitant, leery, careful and wary of starting up conversations with strangers in close proximity. Having been forced to 6 feet rules and been told about viral loads being transmitted through the air and to keep conversations down to less than 15 minutes to reduce possible transmission of viral loads, what is a cruiser to do but eat and run ? My DW would have Clorox wiped the butter and prayed no one would sit down at our table until we finished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We empathetize with the "no talkers". Cruisers today are. apprehensive, cautious, hesitant, leery, careful and wary of starting up conversations with strangers in close proximity. Having been forced to 6 feet rules and been told about viral loads being transmitted through the air and to keep conversations down to less than 15 minutes to reduce possible transmission of viral loads, what is a cruiser to do but eat and run ? My DW would have Clorox wiped the butter and prayed no one would sit down at our table until we finished.

I think they were saying that the couple didn't talk to each other.

I can partially get it - I'm a quiet guy but will still always talk to my wife during a meal. 😅

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Day 2 at sea

We went for breakfast at 8am and encountered some very unhappy cruisers. Apparently my very positive experience of embarkation, luggage delivery etc was not how it worked out for them and they felt the need to share in great detail with everyone around them. Later in the day there had apparently been long queues, “queue jumpers”  and luggage had gone to cabins quite late in the afternoon / evening. 

Breakfast was perfectly pleasant if not as hot as it could be, the quality of the actual produce was good. We ate in Minueto and had a nice sea view. After breakfast off for a stroll, a proper coffee (the one thing I would really fault at breakfast was the tasteless coffee, like slightly frightened hot water) and then the quiz. The coffee from the bars is much nicer.

We sat up on our balcony in the sun and the dolphins decided to put on a show for us! Just lovely and they played around the ship for ages, they are quite common in these waters.

Having enjoyed the choice on offer at the buffet on day 1 we went up there again at noon but it was absolutely heaving - very loud and crowded so we left. We waited until the restaurant was open and while it was also busy at least the food came to me and I didn’t have to queue for it. Again like breakfast the food was tepid, not hot and the service a little slow. As we were in no rush we just sat and chatted between courses. It amazes me the number of couples who never break breathe to each other through an entire meal. The most the lady next to us said the whole meal was “thank you” and that was to me for passing the butter - not a word to her husband.

There are few physical menus on offer and at the door staff were encouraging you to snap the QR code to get the menu. From the point of view of hygiene and less waste of paper this is fine as long as they keep menus for those without a smart phone who need them (which they do). QR codes are used for bar menus and food. 

A paper copy of the daily programme is no longer issued to the cabin either (which it was on our last cruise). Information is all on the app or you can get a paper copy from reception (I know this because someone in the lunch queue was being quite nippy to the staff member about how other cruise lines manage to have proper menus and still deliver daily programmes each evening to the cabin. 

The afternoon was sunny so we went up to the open decks and left again quickly as the place was mobbed with people. Thank the Lord for a quiet balcony to hide away on. Sea days are the same on most cruise ships.

The evening show was a fiddler with a large helping of quirky style and very enjoyable. There are a lot of rude people on here at the moment coming into a show halfway through or leaving at random times.

Dinner was very nice but I’m finding everything is just warm and not piping hot the way I would normally eat. It’s not so cold you would return it  but a few degrees hotter would be nice. The aubergine Parmazan was excellent, and my veal pasta lovely. OH enjoyed his food but looked enviously at mine, I always find the Italian choices are amongst the best. Love the fresh bread provided at every meal as well.

Another enjoyable day.

Gutted about the daily planners...will make sure to pick them up each day at reception. It's sad...but I keep them. When friends come round and ask about cruises - "stuck on a boat all day", "nothing to do" ...or even "what do you do during the day", I bring these out...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, amurray88 said:

I think they were saying that the couple didn't talk to each other.

I can partially get it - I'm a quiet guy but will still always talk to my wife during a meal. 😅

We are "those people". We do converse at our table for two. We find it rude if we converse only with ourselves, ignoring others at the same table. So we clam up, eat and run, sometimes skipping dessert.

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

We are "those people". We do converse at our table for two. We find it rude if we converse only with ourselves, ignoring others at the same table. So we clam up, eat and run, sometimes skipping dessert.

Very concerning that you skip dessert.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Gutted about the daily planners...will make sure to pick them up each day at reception. It's sad...but I keep them. When friends come round and ask about cruises - "stuck on a boat all day", "nothing to do" ...or even "what do you do during the day", I bring these out...

Yes, indeed. I asked the same question on FB for MSC Explora evening entertainment dailies and no one seems to have them. 

31 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

You can still get them from reception and perhaps your cabin steward might be able to provide. @tjwa may be able to advise if this is the case for him / her.

It is however no longer automatic. I’m getting most things on the app but I can’t find the daily dress code, may be there and I just haven’t found it yet.

Im currently hiding on my thankfully shady balcony as it’s really hot up on the open decks.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It amazes me the number of couples who never break breathe to each other through an entire meal.

We are also amazed at the lack of interaction at the tables of some other travelers. Our dinners usually take 2 to 2.5 hours because we're so busy talking and enjoying each other's company and we forget to keep eating. Why go on holiday if you don't like being together? I can only imagine dinners at home in their houses. 😞

• Like 3

Day 3 Vigo

I’m not going to bore you with all my eating habits so I’ll only comment if there is something specific. We had an early breakfast in the outside area of the buffet. Managed to order decent bean to cup coffee, so we know that is available now. Cant function without decent coffee in the morning.

The ship berthed in a timely manner. It is right in the heart of the city so an easy walk off. Not much opens until 10 am but we got off, had a walk and headed up the hill to El Cortes ingles (it has a lovely fancy food hall there so we pop in to see what we can find to take home). Thankfully the very steep hill has a series of moving pavement’s so easy to get up there, it’s a clever arrangement that many European cities now have.

We had a good mooch around Vigo and bought some bits and pieces, stopped for glass of rioca and aged jamon then walked back to the ship. 

P&O Ventura is in as well and normally if there are two ships in port, bath go through the same security but this time they had separate halls, which was much quicker.

Tip number 1. The liquid hand soap in the cabin bathroom has all the charm of fairy liquid so first stop in Vigo was l,Occitane for some decent, sweet smelling hand soap. We did ask the cabin steward if he any bar hand soap but only liquid is available apparently. There is shampoo and shower gel provided but I would strongly suggest you bring your own and hair conditioner if you use that. We came well prepared for the shower but not hand washing soap, that’s now been easily fixed.

Lots of tours off to Santiago de Compasella which is not far from here so the ship is nice and quiet this afternoon. 

We had our very helpful cabin steward empty the mini bar and have stocked it from the bars downstairs with water, juice and a couple of bottles of beer. Ideal for a quiet read and refresh on the balcony.

The staff on here are virtually all just lovely: smiling, friendly, efficient and helpful. Even though the ship is big and busy we are getting to know some of these hard working people.

I can’t say as much for some of the passengers. It’s like an alternative version of Snow White. Grumpy, Moany, Greedy, Pushy, Grubby, Entitled, and Rude. Thankfully they are in the very small minority but it only takes a few barging into lifts, touching buffet food, chair hogging etc and all the other selfish behaviour some people seem to display.

There are a lot of moany people onboard. Some of it is imo probably justified to an extent as the ship is very, very busy, seats are at a premium, the buffet is busy etc but some people do go on rather than try to work round it. 

Other complaints are much less justified as a bit of research before booking would have resulted in a more informed choice. For example some are not happy with their dining allocation and saying that eating at 9.30 is totally unacceptable. Now I would not find that particularly pleasant either but I was aware that a Bella or Fantastica booking would have made that (or dinner far too early) a possibility.

Here is my moan. There does not seem to be much music in the lounges and bars. There is usually something in the main atrium and the odd act here and there but it’s a bit sparse. Also on the last sea day and the programme for today there is nothing in the theatre in the afternoon, they used to offer classical music etc and so far, nothing at all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

There are a lot of moany people onboard. Some of it is imo probably justified to an extent as the ship is very, very busy, seats are at a premium, the buffet is busy etc but some people do go on rather than try to work round it. 

I remember one cruise where there were lots of people complaining (for no apparent reason) - and that cruise was my husbands favourite one.  Sometimes he likes nothing more than to have a good moan, and he met a lot of new people, making friends through their shared experiences of "terrible service" and "disastrous embarkation" and everything else.   So my take (from living with a moaner) is it is how some people enjoy their holiday and meet new people, and it doesn't really matter if they knew in advance or it's wildly exaggerated and so on.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't bet El Corte Ingles was on tours on cities but.... may it could help, it is the major company for Great Stores in Spain and it has shop in Portugal too. After some deals with other great stores it doesn't operate in other countries (for instance, they have agreed with Galeries Lafayette not to open in France and conversely and they accept Lafayette credit cards).

May you need it, they will have definitely one great store in all cities over 100.000 people and some smaller ones.

I do not know which ports you are going to visit but Santa Cruz and Las Palmas have El Corte Ingles too near the harbours  (and remember they are barely tax free. They pay 7% local tax instead of 21% VAT).

BTW, can you post some dinner menus and daily program?

Thanks

• Thanks 1