Transatlantic - any preference for RC Allure of the Seas or Majestic Princess? Any tips?

mef_57

I realize they both have something to offer, but I am stalled at deciding whether to do a Florida to Barcelona February crossing on RC or Princess. RC would be a Central Park Balcony at a bare bones rate vs inside on Majesty, but a Princess Plus deal.

I've only cruised on smaller ships (Princess, NCL or Cunard) so RC seems daunting, but it also offers a lot to do on sea days. The balcony cabin would allow comfortable quiet time for this introvert....if not outside, on the couch with daylight.

As a seasoned solo senior traveler, I don't need frequent company or a temporary companion, but it would nice if either offers some solo programs. Do they?

Also, how do they seat solos if I choose a traditional dining time?

If you have done either as a solo on Transatlantic, any tips or comments?

Thanks for any insights.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t think either line has hosted solo events like NCL or Virgin does, but for someone who doesn’t need their hand held (and that sounds like you perhaps)? I think they both could be good fits.  What are your priorities?  I think of Princess more a “traditional” cruise line with comfortable cabins, standard entertainment and decent food.  Royal ships tend to have more bells and whistles and might keep you more entertained on your many sea days.  The only solo TAs I’ve taken have been on NCL and Virgin but I have sailed both of those lines solo and enjoyed both.  Also, I prefer to dine alone so I’m not sure about seating with others but I would assume shared tables would be easier if they have traditional early/late seating?  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 1:12 PM, mef_57 said:

I realize they both have something to offer, but I am stalled at deciding whether to do a Florida to Barcelona February crossing on RC or Princess. RC would be a Central Park Balcony at a bare bones rate vs inside on Majesty, but a Princess Plus deal.

I've only cruised on smaller ships (Princess, NCL or Cunard) so RC seems daunting, but it also offers a lot to do on sea days. The balcony cabin would allow comfortable quiet time for this introvert....if not outside, on the couch with daylight.

As a seasoned solo senior traveler, I don't need frequent company or a temporary companion, but it would nice if either offers some solo programs. Do they?

Also, how do they seat solos if I choose a traditional dining time?

If you have done either as a solo on Transatlantic, any tips or comments?

Thanks for any insights.

I have not sailed RCCL solo.

Princess does have solo gatherings nightly--now, just because they are in the daily doesn't mean people show!

Princess ships tend to be VERY busy--we just got off the Regal TA in April. Trivia, game shows, games in the piazza, musicians, shows.

Haven't been on the Allure in 15 years & it was the Caribbean but was on Anthem in Sept. 

Trivia was only 1x/day. Many fewer game shows (nightly on Princess), shows were much better.

I find the food on Princess a step up generally, but not huge different.

Finding a quite spot on Princess during the day is usually quite easy--I tuck myself in a louge/bar w/ no activity/music & enjoy my book. But I agree that I use a balcony more when I am solo than when sailing w/ DH.

Princess Plus is great--I get my nice coffee in AM, wine with dinner, cocktail or 2 later. Again, with DH I always get my moneys worth, but at least break even solo.

On RCCL we each brought a bottle of wine (this was BFF) & a 12 pack of soda. There are ways to get alcohol on if one so desires!

It's a tough choice!

I liked the Allure 15 years ago, but finding a quiet spot will be tricky outside your room. Biggest edge to them is the shows. You will have to add tips & wifi (if you are getting it) to your total cost, plus any drinks you buy.

I prefer Princess slightly over RCCL & I like the simplicity of Princess Plus. I am also a fan of trivia & game shows. Always lots to do all day but never an issue finding a quiet corner to read.

I did an 18-day TA on the Island Princess in June 2022, FFL to S'hampton via Nova Scotia, Iceland & the UK.  We had very well attended solo gatherings every evening about 5:30; we made our own smaller dinner groups.

I don't know what the daytime activities were on sea days as I don't participate.  I have my balcony, my coffee pot & my Kindle.

My DD, her DH & I went to Alaska on the Majestic Princess in Sept 2021. We LOVED that ship!  Built for the Asian market, Majestic has some venues not found on other PCL ships.  The Hollywood Conservatory at the front of Deck 17 is perfect for "iffy" weather -- and it's free -- and there's an Adults Only  covered (not too big but great) pool!

I'd really love to do a TA on the Majestic.  I might even fore go a balcony!