Excursions Scarlet Lady- Irresistible Med and Rome

cakegirl.73

Long time cruisers first time VV. Wondering if there is ample time to get from Toulon to Marseille for a tour. Dock time 930, tour starts at 1130 in Marseille. Also is it easy to get transportation there and back. Our first time in the area. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, cakegirl.73 said:

Long time cruisers first time VV. Wondering if there is ample time to get from Toulon to Marseille for a tour. Dock time 930, tour starts at 1130 in Marseille. Also is it easy to get transportation there and back. Our first time in the area. Thanks. 

Hello @cakegirl.73 and welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! I see it has been quite a while since you have posted.

Thank you for your new thread. However, it was posted on an incorrect forum and off topic there. To help you out your thread has been moved to the Ports of Call - Europe - Mediterranean - Eastern & Western - France Ports forum where it will be on topic. Your fellow Cruise Critic members that have been there or live there frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting again! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the link in your Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 2:25 PM, cakegirl.73 said:

Wondering if there is ample time to get from Toulon to Marseille for a tour. Dock time 930, tour starts at 1130 in Marseille. Also is it easy to get transportation there and back.

Can only give you an opinion, not a personal experience, but I have some knowledge of the area and can point you in the right direction. I think your timing could be a little tight.

For what it's worth

Your ship could be in either Toulon or the adjoining La Seyne sur Mer, so you need to check the port cruise schedules for each before you can plan your journey.    Irrespective of which, you will know to allow around 15/20 minutes for the ship to be cleared before  you can leave.

If in Toulon you can go directly to the train station,(la gare SNCF) by taxi.   If at la Seyne, you first need to take the little boat ferry (or a bus should there be one) or a taxi, to Toulon then make your way to to Toulon train station,  or take a direct  taxi from la Seyne to Toulon train station if there are taxis waiting. Remember to ask for "la gare SNCF" because if you simply ask for "la gare", the driver will ask which "gare"?.  SNCF (trains) or Routiere( buses)

From Toulon train station, you will need to take a train to  the main station in Marseille (la Gare St Charles) which will take approx. 50 minutes or so,  then make your way to wherever your meeting point is. (you didn't say)

You will have to do some homework on your docking location, taxis or little ferry boats, train timetables, and your route from Marseille Gare St Charles to your tour meeting point and for all this Google will be your new best friend.

What kind of tour are you planning in Marseille as it may not be necessary to actually take a tour which would leave you with no timing constraints and the freedom to fill your time with your own interests?

Edited by edinburgher

Agree that it is very tight.  And, depending on French taxis to be waiting and willing to take a relatively short haul is risky.  I am also trying to get my head around the idea of a tour in Marseille.  If one decides to stay in Marseille (not my personal recommendation) than one could probably handle that city on their own (we have gone all around Marseille just using local buses and our feet).  In that region of France (where we have been many times) we count Marseille as among our least favorite places to spend a port day (the exception being if we simply want bouillabaisse for lunch).  

Hank

Thank for all the help. We are docking in Toulon, I haven't researched that further, and our tour was a good tour from Trip advisor..we can probably do that on our own, just a bit nervous as first timers in the area. 

19 hours ago, cakegirl.73 said:

we can probably do that on our own

You didn't describe your tour but if you are only doing a city tour and it will be a first visit to the city,  It is a short walk from Gare St Charles to the historic Vieux Port, and  from there, post #5 on this link would be worth a short read. I think coming from Toulon suggestions on here would fill your available time in the city and give you the highlights.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2998979-marseille/#comment-67149752

From your ship in Toulon you could take a taxi or walk to Toulon SNCF, the  location of which should be easily found on an online  map.

20 hours ago, cakegirl.73 said:

.we can probably do that on our own, just a bit nervous as first timers in the area. 

I should have added that post #6 on the link above should also be read.  In it, there is a mention of the district called le Panier.  If you have any time left over, I have copied one of my posts from an ealier thread. Here:

Consider exploring  le Panier district. The oldest in the city. There are entrances to it from a block or two behind the Old Port, but the main entrance/exit there  is via Rue Poiriers, an incredibly steep street (the handrails are there for a reason) which is best avoided if you value your legs. 😀

An alternative with flat, easy access is next to the Cathedrale de la Major, (when facing the Cathedral, the small entry streets are to the right) barely 5 minutes walk from the Old Port  and across from MUCEM , in turn next to the fort St-Jean. (These locations are where the cruise shuttles usually drop off and pick up) Entering from this direction also gives the opportunitiy to visit MUCEM and the Cathedral. Lacking the views enjoyed from the Basilica Notre-Dame-de-la Garde, the Cathedral is nonetheless worth visiting inside and is one of the largest in France. Entry is free. 

Le Panier offers a few sights, but it is mostly best for strolling the narrow streets many displaying colourful wall art.  At the top is Place des Moulins, the perfect location for rest and resfreshments, although only two towers of the original windmills mills remain, and these are incorporated into homes.  All downhill from there,  means you can exit down the steep Rue Poiriers, much better for the legs than going up.  The splendid looking  Intercontinental Hotel is only a few steps away and has a lovely outdoor terrace with views of ND de la Garde and a little of the old port.  Across from it is the "Maison Diamantee" a building with unusual design features.