Infinite balconies

1 minute ago, Old lady cruiser said:

I am not seeing a lot of reviews on the infinite balconies on Icon.  Are they wonderful or just ok?

We are in a the process of booking and always love our balcony so need feedback.

Thanks

Most reviews seem to be more negative... I think I would be fine with them, but I guess the main issue is that once you open the big window to get the fresh air and to look out, your AC cuts off, so the room gets very hot very quickly depending on where you are sailing. Otherwise, they seem to be almost like having a porch with a big window. 

I can’t answer for Icon, but I recently had one on Celebrity Edge. It was a solo one and it was cheaper than an interior cabin double occupancy. I was in Alaska, so the window wasn’t down very often, but I did enjoy just sitting there and looking out (watching for whales).  Main issue was window was very dirty, which is to be expected from the salt water spray. They did clean it once, but didn’t dry it after cleaning it, so it dried with water spots. I think in the Caribbean, you would have it down more, but as stated it will shut off AC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you go to the celebrity forum you will find a lot of topics and reviews on infinite balconies. They are a love or hate...not a lot of people who are in-between. Personally for the Caribbean I think they are nothing more than an expensive Oceanview cabin. You can't leave the window open cause it shuts the cabin AC off and the cabin gets hot as anything. Defiantly not the feel of a regular balcony cabin. For Alaska I would think it a good thing as I never seemed to be out on my balcony much as it was too cold....but that depends on month traveling also.

The infinite balcony....yet another reason to stay away from SpongeBob SquarePants of the Seas (Icon)...lol

Edited by bajathree
  • Haha 1

I loved it on Celebrity.  It brings in so much more daylight than a standard balcony, making the room seem bigger.  And if you close the window, the space becomes part of the room, making the room actually even bigger.

36 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I loved it on Celebrity.  It brings in so much more daylight than a standard balcony, making the room seem bigger.  And if you close the window, the space becomes part of the room, making the room actually even bigger.

Like I said....they seem to be a love or hate.

• Like 1

Just sailed on Icon and had an infinite balcony. We did miss having the formal balcony but on the positive side, we enjoyed the extra space and (not exaggerating), got the best nights sleep we have had in years due to the blackout shade (and the room was extremely quiet). It was like an interior room. We wake up at 6:30-7:30am even on weekends and on this ship slept much later (even 10:30am one day). Overall, I would probably lean to a normal balcony but wouldn't be disappointed with the infinite balcony.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched a youtube video and they said the room gets extremely humid and takes a while to cool back down once you close the window.

That made up my mind never to book one of those cabins.

I will stick with a traditional balcony .

• Like 1

I had one on Icon a couple months ago and I don't think I would book one again. The fact that it gets very hot and humid very quickly in the cabin negates any positives of extra space. 

• Like 1

We had an ocean view balcony on Icon and slept with the balcony door open every night...so I don't think the humidity bothered us much....but we were a bunch of girls who preferred to hear the ocean every night rather than using the AC.  That being said, we still preferred having a separate outdoor area to sit as one of us would prefer to be out there late at night while the others were sleeping. 

We had a family infinite on icon and loved it, but don't call it a balcony. It's a panoramic ocean view. 

We used the indoor space significantly more than we ever use a balcony. It gave my wife and I a place to hang out when the kids went to bed. 

We had one on Celebrity Ascent in February.  It's a toss-up.  We enjoyed the extra space, but the cabin got very hot even with the window closed.  We had to keep the curtains closed during the day much of the time, otherwise the sun coming in heated up the room.   

We discussed never booking an infinite balcony again, however on our upcoming trip on Celebrity Apex, they were significantly less expensive than cabins with actual balconies, so we ended up booking an infinite balcony again despite our concerns.