Can anyone figure out what’s going on with this booking?

Stockjock

Posted (edited)

I think I touched on this briefly in another thread, but here’s the situation. I booked a Norwegian fjords cruise for 2025 and the price for the seven day out of Kiel, Germany was quite a bit higher than the six day out of Copenhagen.  We really like Copenhagen, so we booked the shorter cruise.

They are still taking reservations on the seven day out of Kiel, but they have locked the six day out of Copenhagen and it no longer appears on the schedule.  Previously, I could add things like excursions and drink packages and so forth, but right now the only thing I could potentially do is pay it off.

I called MSC a few weeks ago and they said that it was locked, but they didn’t have any further information.  I called today and it’s the same situation, although she said that I should keep my eye on the email for a potential cancellation.

I’m not sure why it would be canceled, because the ship is still leaving the day before out of Kiel Germany, and it is still stopping in Copenhagen, and it is still ending in Kiel, and they are still taking reservations on it, so I can’t quite figure this one out.  The only thing I can think of is that they might be trying to reprice it, but I didn’t think they could do that once a reservation has been placed.

I did buy their in-house insurance, but I don’t think that has anything to do with anything.

Any ideas?

Edited by Stockjock

MSC works in mysterious ways, lol.

When your sailing gets back to Kiel, is it going back out again on the same 7-nt itinerary?

Hopefully you've saved a copy of your confirmation showing your booked price so they can't change it on you.

Maybe the itinerary from Kiel is so popular that they need the cabins that they had set aside to board in Copenhagen for people who want to board in Kiel.  EM

2 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

MSC works in mysterious ways, lol.

When your sailing gets back to Kiel, is it going back out again on the same 7-nt itinerary?

Hopefully you've saved a copy of your confirmation showing your booked price so they can't change it on you.

No, it's the last sailing of the season, then it's completely off of the schedule anywhere in the world.

But...it appears to be sailing from Kiel to Copenhagen to the Fjords back to Kiel and that's it.  Guessing there is some kind of repositioning going on, but not sure why/how it would impact my sailing.

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Maybe the itinerary from Kiel is so popular that they need the cabins that they had set aside to board in Copenhagen for people who want to board in Kiel.  EM

There are rooms available on pretty much every deck, but not a massive number of them.

Posted (edited)

Interesting to see what MSC has going on with their itinerary.  Here's the "7 day" cruise that leaves exactly one week before mine.  In many ways, it's classic MSC.

Day 1
Copenhagen, DenmarkSun 09/28/2025
Day 2
Day At SeaMon 09/29/2025
Day 3
Hellesylt, NorwayTue 09/30/2025
Day 4
Geiranger, NorwayWed 10/01/2025
Day 5
Alesund, NorwayThu 10/02/2025
Day 6
Flaam, NorwayFri 10/03/2025
Day 7
Day At SeaSat 10/04/2025
Day 8
Kiel, GermanySun 10/05/2025
Day 9
Copenhagen, DenmarkSat 06/08/2024

So they have a 7 day cruise shown to be sailing for 9 days, an arrival in Copenhagen almost a year and a half *before* it actually arrives, a scheduled 7 day departure out of Kiel on 10/04/25, when their schedule shows that the ship will be at sea on that day, and then the next Copenhagen departure, which was supposed to be on 10/05/25, is now locked out, although it appears they will be stopping there.  Yet, they are still taking reservations for Kiel on 10/04 but not Copenhagen on 10/05.

When I talk about a Comedy of Errors, this is the kind of thing that I am referring to.  It makes no sense.
Edited by Stockjock
  • Haha 2