dont want another brazil visa fiasco

at  this point, we are considering the 21 day africa cruise from capetown to barcelona. it has many ports on the west coast  of africa, does any one know if a visa is necessary to enter any of the african nations along the west coast?  Thanks in advance

Yes, visas will be required for some and it will likely be unclear which ones and how much until the last minute. Won't be as bad as Brazil (I went in 2024 to Brazil and had received mine) because depending on your cruise line, they can handle it for you. I did West Africa with Azamara in 2023 and it was a nightmare, but in the end, Azamara handled everything and all went smoothly. Early 2023 was when these countries were just re-opening after COVID and they had very little tourism infrastructure so they had no idea what they were doing, and the rules changed often. So did visa rates. Azamara advertised that one country's visa (sorry, I don't remember which country it was, maybe the Gambia) would be $50ish dollars and by the time the cruise rolled around it was $130ish. Some passengers felt that Azamara should eat the cost but Azamara was only charging us what the country was charging them, there was no upcharge or processing fee. The country had raised their fees substantially. Third world countries which is what most of West Africa is have poor infrastructures and you have to deal with it. If you can't handle the unknown, don't book a cruise there. You have to be flexible. Some of these ports had challenges - thankfully I was on a ship excursion when we were 4 hours late returning, which was 4 hours after sail away time. That was because of the Gambia's ferry issues and Senegal border issues. The people and countries are definitely worth visiting but you need to go in with a very open and flexible mind.

We have researched this question in depth as we are doing the reverse cruise Barcelona to Capetown in November. As the previous person says it is quite confusing and different requirements exist for US and Australian citizens. What we do know is that you will definitely require a Visa for Ghana but the ship can get that for you at cost.

As for all the other countries you may visit on west African coast it seems they are getting their act together and if you are only  there for a day AND only doing a ship excursion you might be considered as either being in transit or covered by the ship’s blanket Visa. If you are doing your own excursions that could be different.

We are now satisfied in going knowing we have  the Ghana Visa under control and any other issues that surface will be dealt with by the ship.( ours is Regent Seven Seas).

The only other issue you need to concern yourself with is the Yellow Fever vaccination requirement or an exemption letter if you don’t have the vaccine.

Don’t be put off by the Visa or Yellow Fever questions, it will be an amazing trip and these issues can be sorted.

Hey, my friend. You should review @Ken the cruiser's live from Jade back in 2022. I believe he discussed a little about the visa situation on his cruise which was almost like your cruise. Not identical, but similar.

I did see the cruise you're referencing and thought about. Then I realized I'd be unemployed as there is no way my boss would let me leave for that long. So, you have to enjoy on my behalf!!