Sun hat - how to pack

Let me preface this by saying I have a big head and big curly hair. Buying hats is almost impossible especially nice sun hats. I am about to order from sungrubbies who actually have sun hats in a wide range of sizes.

I have very sensitive skin and burn in the shade so avoid travelling south but have an upcoming Caribbean family cruise. This hat is absolutely essential but I can’t figure out how to pack it. 

How do you pack your big hats? It’s an XL with a 3.5” brim and I can’t find a hat case that will fit it because it’s too wide. 

I have a sungrubbies hat that I got because I also have a melon for a head. It's the Crystal, a straw-ish situation, and was fine getting thrown in my suitcase during my last trip.  

11 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I only get crushable or packable hats. They’re out there all over Amazon

Ya the only ones that come in my size are not pretty. I have one for hiking but it’s not going to work with my pretty sundress lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I have a sungrubbies hat that I got because I also have a melon for a head. It's the Crystal, a straw-ish situation, and was fine getting thrown in my suitcase during my last trip.  

Great to know. Unfortunately it’s out of stock in my size. I’m ordering the Stevie which is a stiffer straw style.

6 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Great to know. Unfortunately it’s out of stock in my size. I’m ordering the Stevie which is a stiffer straw style.

Another option is to wear the hat while flying 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

They say that the Stevie is packable, although you want to stuff the crown to pack it, so it should be ok! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neeuqdrazil said:

They say that the Stevie is packable, although you want to stuff the crown to pack it, so it should be ok! 

Oh thank you I missed that part. I’ll pack carefully and should be fine then.

• Like 1

I've travelled with non-packable hats with shaped brims forever.  I put them in a large paper shopping bag and put the bag in the overhead after everyone's stuff is stowed.  They've never suffered permanent disfiguration even when I have to wedge the bag up there.  I just hang the shopping bag on my carryon to roll through the airport.  If your hat doesn't have a distinctive brim shape, stuffing the crown and laying it flat in your suitcase would probably work great.  I know  you'll be careful in the sun, but be EXTRA careful.  My first visit to the Caribbean gave me a nasty sunburn after a 15min walk.  And I tan easily.  Something about the equator, eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I've travelled with non-packable hats with shaped brims forever.  I put them in a large paper shopping bag and put the bag in the overhead after everyone's stuff is stowed.  They've never suffered permanent disfiguration even when I have to wedge the bag up there.  I just hang the shopping bag on my carryon to roll through the airport.  If your hat doesn't have a distinctive brim shape, stuffing the crown and laying it flat in your suitcase would probably work great.  I know  you'll be careful in the sun, but be EXTRA careful.  My first visit to the Caribbean gave me a nasty sunburn after a 15min walk.  And I tan easily.  Something about the equator, eh?

I’ve been warned New Zealand would be even worse. I have UPF 50 cardigan, making a sexy long sleeve swimsuit, and will be getting some more lightweight layers plus lots of sunscreen of course.

• 2 weeks later...

For the tropics I wear my high coverage cloth fishing hat. Mine is not so cute as I bought a highly visible one (in case it flies off the boat while fishing) but there are some cute one.  They have big bonnet style brims with a neck flap which is far better than a brim.  I can even wear it in the water for snorkeling and recently did.  My friends and husband suffered neck/back  burns even with spf, I did not.   Google “fishing hat”