End of August cruise...temperature inside ship and clothes to wear at dinners?

Cardinal2013

Our cruise is the end of August and I'm trying to decide what type of clothes to wear for dinners in the evening.  Summer cruises in Caribbean are easy...sundress or capris.  Don't have a clue for a summer cruise in Alaska...dress pants and blouse?  I tend to get cold and am curious the temperature inside the ship?  Dressing for outside isn't a problem...just have no clue inside the ship.  Appreciate any help!

• Like 1

Inside the ship tends to be "room temperature" but of course that can vary a bit.  It's no different than going to a restaurant on land at any time of year.  If you tend to be cold, bring a sweater.

What cruise line? That probably plays as big a role as location and time of year. Celebrity last week was very casual with the exception of a handful of people we overheard saying they'd brought they're fancy clothes and by *** they were wearing them.

13 minutes ago, Cardinal2013 said:

Also…how dressed up do people tend to get for dinners including the two formal nights? Jackets for the guys? 
Thanks! 

Passengers on Alaska cruises tend to dress on the casual side.  While you don't mention the cruise line, casual dress seems to be the norm on the bulk of cruise lines when sailing in Alaska.

I liked to dress up for dinner but a semi formal type cocktail length dress and a light shawl was perfect. I also tend to run cold. This was on Celebrity. For NCL I will be dressing more casual. 

from my observation onboard and in port…

Celebrity - Patagonia chique

Princess - LL Bean chique

We just got back on the Royal Princess. Very few people dressed up for formal night. i took semi-formal clothes for those nights and wish I hadn't. Took up a lot of valuable luggage space. We are from Florida and wore shorts and t-shirts on the ship most of the time unless we were going to be outside for very long. This was in late May so I imagine Aug will be much warmer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stevepcb64 said:

We just got back on the Royal Princess. Very few people dressed up for formal night. i took semi-formal clothes for those nights and wish I hadn't. Took up a lot of valuable luggage space. We are from Florida and wore shorts and t-shirts on the ship most of the time unless we were going to be outside for very long. This was in late May so I imagine Aug will be much warmer.

Or it can be cooler.  Expect anything in Alaska.

I was once on a ship over July 4th and it was freezing outside (sleet, winds, fog, etc..), several years later, same week and almost 90.

I rarely see people dressed up in Alaska, regardless of line.

Edited by Coral