Celebrity Xploration and Xpedition To Be No More

I was able to transfer my Xpedition cruise Feb 1 to Flora Feb 2.  This is great for us we just had an OV room now have a suite with Infinite balcony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

How much did these ships sell for?  Were they advertised for sale?  I did not see them on yacht world, but I did see two listings for Millennium-class vessels.  

I know this is old news.  A “Price Drop” designation is next to the price on both listings.  One is priced at US $150 Million while the other is $125 Million.  I wonder if these listings still have any relevance with regard to Celebrity’s evolving fleet.  

Coincidentally the keel-laying ceremony for Xcel took place today.

I think the M class listing has been there for years.  Someone said that sellers just list them, and if there's interest, they'll contact the owner to see if they want to sell.  There's been speculation that they might sell the Infinity and Connie, but they just updated both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lauraapp said:

I was able to transfer my Xpedition cruise Feb 1 to Flora Feb 2.  This is great for us we just had an OV room now have a suite with Infinite balcony.

Congratulations!

22 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We’re booked on Flora with an actual veranda..not an IV. I’m confused as to why Flora holds no appeal for you. 🤔

As I mentioned, I've been on Xpedition twice and loved the feel of the ship, especially since it went to lower capacity. Having had contact with those who have sailed on Flora comparing experiences compelled me to book Xpedition for our second trip. I really feel that Xpedition offered the same experience, with fewer people, at a better price. 

I am thrilled that. Lindblad is buying the ships. They are a cruise company the specializes in expedition-style cruising. In the future, I'll stick with using cruiselines that do their best in the destinations I am going to. (Antarctica and Galapagos for example). Although I've sailed a great deal with them, Celebrity's loyalty program is no longer an incentive to not look elsewhere.

I just don't think expedition travel is Celebrity's niche. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abbydancer2003 said:

I think the M class listing has been there for years.  Someone said that sellers just list them, and if there's interest, they'll contact the owner to see if they want to sell.  There's been speculation that they might sell the Infinity and Connie, but they just updated both.

They need to have their 5 year maintenance done so you might as upgrade that needs to be done 

I don’t think you will see them selling m class until the next class of ship comes out in another 6-7 years

We are now booked on Flora in a Veranda Sky Suite instead of Xpedition.  I really wanted the smaller boat experience, but with so many unknowns about the purchase, renovations, whether the hotels/transfers/etc would all really be the same in over a year, just didn’t seem worth the risk to go with Lindblad.  We are happy with our decision as we hadn’t totally discounted Flora when we booked.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sippican said:

Where are people hearing that they can just sail with Lindblad as an option? When would they be done with their planned renovations?

My TA said we could switch to Flora or stay with what we had. So I did like Lindblad is taking over the sailings, crew, and ship. I had read about renovations but don’t know when those are slated to occur. Too many unknowns for me when we are talking that kind of $.

54 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

We are now booked on Flora in a Veranda Sky Suite instead of Xpedition.  I really wanted the smaller boat experience, but with so many unknowns about the purchase, renovations, whether the hotels/transfers/etc would all really be the same in over a year, just didn’t seem worth the risk to go with Lindblad.  We are happy with our decision as we hadn’t totally discounted Flora when we booked.

You are going to have an awesome time and will be totally wowed by the Flora! And don't worry, the Flora is quite comfortable with its maximum of 100 guests. But more importantly, your individual walking excursions will only have what can fit in their very cool zodiacs, usually around 12-14 guests.

IMG_5899.jpeg.f1eaad04c8d2b682b8d31da91b9a8e4a.jpeg

IMG_7200.jpeg.5065a577323d858bb0d9cb38da9488ae.jpeg

If you haven't checked it out yet, my below Live From thread will give you a feel for what you're about to experience. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Congratulations.  Even though it was forced on you, I think you will be very happy with your cruise aboard Flora.  It's gonna be an awesome trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sippican said:

Where are people hearing that they can just sail with Lindblad as an option? When would they be done with their planned renovations?

Personally, I would be shocked if this was actually an option.

Well, after several hours on the phone today, just wanted to share the information we received. You are given three choices: 1) cancel for full refund, 2) move to any cruise on same ship in 2024, or 3) change to the Flora in 2025.  With this option, you must sail the week you were currently scheduled to sail or the week immediately preceding it to keep your current rate. Also, we had been in an Xpedition Suite with Veranda, but could only change to a Sky Suite with an Infinity Veranda.  I had wanted to "downgrade" to the Sky Suite with Veranda, but I was not allowed. Sailing with Lindblad was not an option. If there are no Infinity Verandas available on your specific sailing, they can bump you up, but not down. Also, you must make the change by October 5, 2024.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

Well, after several hours on the phone today, just wanted to share the information we received. You are given three choices: 1) cancel for full refund, 2) move to any cruise on same ship in 2024, or 3) change to the Flora in 2025.  With this option, you must sail the week you were currently scheduled to sail or the week immediately preceding it to keep your current rate. Also, we had been in an Xpedition Suite with Veranda, but could only change to a Sky Suite with an Infinity Veranda.  I had wanted to "downgrade" to the Sky Suite with Veranda, but I was not allowed. Sailing with Lindblad was not an option. If there are no Infinity Verandas available on your specific sailing, they can bump you up, but not down. Also, you must make the change by October 5, 2024.

Thank you for posting this information. In the end, I hope you’ll enjoy your time on Flora. 

2 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Thank you for posting this information. In the end, I hope you’ll enjoy your time on Flora. 

Thanks!  I loved your live report, and we had picked the Xpedition southern loop based on it.  But no matter what...we're going to the Galapagos!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

Just curious, would you now get the 8 points a night for the Sky Suite?  I'm in an Expedition suite for our cruise, and the points are critical for my 2025 plans.

2 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Just curious, would you now get the 8 points a night for the Sky Suite?  I'm in an Expedition suite for our cruise, and the points are critical for my 2025 plans.

I asked about that.  The Xpdedition suite on the Xpedition was 12 points per day. Changing to the Flora, the Sky Suite with Veranda is 8 points per day, but the Sky Suite with Infinity Veranda is 12 points.  Celebrity considers the Xpedition suite and the Sky Suite with infinity veranda to be identical. But to me one has a veranda and one doesn't. We also needed the 12 points per day to bump up to the next level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

I asked about that.  The Xpdedition suite on the Xpedition was 12 points per day. Changing to the Flora, the Sky Suite with Veranda is 8 points per day, but the Sky Suite with Infinity Veranda is 12 points.  Celebrity considers the Xpedition suite and the Sky Suite with infinity veranda to be identical. But to me one has a veranda and one doesn't. We also needed the 12 points per day to bump up to the next level.

Thanks.  If they move up the sale, at least I won't lose points, but like you, I don't consider it a veranda either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You are going to have an awesome time and will be totally wowed by the Flora! And don't worry, the Flora is quite comfortable with its maximum of 100 guests. But more importantly, your individual walking excursions will only have what can fit in their very cool zodiacs, usually around 12-14 guests.

I don’t get it! When I was on the Expedition in 2016, the walking excursions never involved a large group, just the ones aboard a given zodiac. Why do you say Flora is different?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I don’t get it! When I was on the Expedition in 2016, the walking excursions never involved a large group, just the ones aboard a given zodiac. Why do you say Flora is different?

I thought that’s what I said.

But more importantly, your individual walking excursions will only have what can fit in their very cool zodiacs, usually around 12-14 guests.

The reason I even mentioned it was because everyone is making a big deal about the Xpedition now having around half the guests that the Flora has. My point being even though there are more folks on the Flora, which never felt crowded when we were on it, the morning and afternoon walking excursions were made up of small groups, no more than 12-14 guests at the most.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But more importantly, your individual walking excursions will only have what can fit in their very cool zodiacs, usually around 12-14 guests.

The reason I even mentioned it was because everyone is making a big deal about the Xpedition now having around half the guests that the Flora has. My point being even though there are more folks on the Flora, which never felt crowded when we were on it, the morning and afternoon walking excursions were made up of small groups, no more than 12-14 guests at the most.

The Flora does have double the PSR (passenger/space ratio) compared to the Xpedition. Similar feel of space between the two when the Xpedition sails at half capacity. The PSR is meaningful between these two ships because there is no exclusive spaces limited to certain passengers depending on "status" seen on other Celebrity ships.

There is no difference in the number of persons on the tours as Ken has stated. I am surprised that Celebrity has the capacity to accommodate their Xpedition guests on the Flora because I thought that the Flora would be booked out long in advance. I'm not sure if this is common, but when I was on the Flora last September, there were very few passengers who were regular Celebrity passengers. Not sure why??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The number of people on the tours has nothing at all to do with Celebrity, the ship, or the zodiacs. It is strictly regulated by the Galapagos National Park regulations to minimize impact ecologically. It would remain the same no matter which company you sail with.

• Thanks 1

I was offered a sailing 3 weeks later (in June 2025) for our cancelled Xplorer booking.  It wasn't suitable for us so I finally got an upgrade to an IV suite one day later than our original  date.  We haven't tried the IV yet but I think we will enjoy the extra space.  DH doesn't ever spend much time on a balcony.  

Do call early as that's a lot of people that need to be moved (unless they want/need to cancel, but who would? 😉).  

On 6/12/2024 at 5:57 PM, billc23 said:

Celebrity originally had ordered two Floras but did not have the license to operate it in the Galapagos. It affected their other Galapagos ships too.

It seems odd to me that something that basic (getting a license) would be messed up when you order two ships!

Why is it that RCG was not able to get a license for Fauna but could for Sliver Origin?