Is there a good beach near Amber Cove

Posted (edited)

Bayhibe is a free beach with lots of shade. There are restaurants. I believe that is the beach where the Hilton is located. 

Edited by Theosprey247
Corrected the name of the beach

Bayhibe is across the island by Semana, no where near Puerta Plata. 

Puerto Plata is right on the coast, so there is a long stretch of beaches right along the main drag, like Long Beach.

There are also resort beaches a bit out of town like Playa Dorado, although I believe this is where the ship beach excursions take you . 

Check TripAdvisor for more. 

I’m interested as well. I’m going to be in Amber Cove in December and I just want to go swimming, not have any sort of tour or cultural excursion. The cheapest beach excursion with HA is around $60 and involves a 30 minute drive. I was hoping there was easy access to a public beach near the cruise port.

I’m also going to Amber Cove but I’m confused because I’m reading it as Carnivals private island but then people are talking about excursions. Is it a private island that includes beaches, food, drinks and the ship crew ( like half moon cay) or it like other Caribbean islands where we book excursions to do off the island? 

5 hours ago, Nlexi912 said:

I’m also going to Amber Cove but I’m confused because I’m reading it as Carnivals private island but then people are talking about excursions. Is it a private island that includes beaches, food, drinks and the ship crew ( like half moon cay) or it like other Caribbean islands where we book excursions to do off the island? 

It's a port where Carnival ships dock. Not an island

Edited by pfdaxe358

51 minutes ago, pfdaxe358 said:

It's a port where Carnival ships dock. Not an island

I’m not sure you know what I’m asking. In any event, it is an island that DR and Haiti share and all the stops on a cruise have a port. I’m asking if it’s like half moon cay for carnival or coco cay for RCC in terms of their private island where their staff get off and work, have a carnival area that includes food and beach lounge areas?

2 hours ago, Nlexi912 said:

I’m not sure you know what I’m asking. In any event, it is an island that DR and Haiti share and all the stops on a cruise have a port. I’m asking if it’s like half moon cay for carnival or coco cay for RCC in terms of their private island where their staff get off and work, have a carnival area that includes food and beach lounge areas?

No, it’s the typical cruise port located near the city of Puerto Plata. It’s not like a private island as far as I can tell.

16 hours ago, Nlexi912 said:

I understood exactly. Check Google maps to verify if you like.  🙂

Amber Cove, as the entirely of the secured Cruise Port,  actually IS a destination.   There is the large freeform pool and bar.  A couple ( I think ) water slides.  zip line...

In that respect, it IS like a cruise line 'private island' or 'private area'....

The DR is of course a large island nation.

Check google maps and do a bit of research to see where one might go in the nearby area.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1