Anyone know WHY there are no drink packages from Capetown?

Morgsmom

I believe since last year a drinks package called thirsty was offered for the first time, though not when purchasing a cruise.   In any case drinks prices are very reasonable - $2 for a beer or glass of wine.

I was on an NCL cruise from Cape Town earlier this year and the Beverage Package was offered. Indeed, in the Freestyle Daily on the first day they were selling beverage package upgrades to people who had already purchased cheaper packages. So there must not be any legal reason MSC isn't selling them if NCL does.

Historically, MSC have never offered drink packages on SA cruises, a voucher system was in operation instead. When Splendida arrived in Durban in November 23, they had introduced drinks packages. It wasn't very well received by SA guests. And, part way through the season the voucher system was reintroduced. 

We were on the repositioning into Durban last November and a Splendida group that I had joined was full of complaints regarding the cost of the drinks packages. Compared to US/Europe prices they were very, very competitive but not to SA passengers. But if MSC are supplying the ship with local drinks, they would be very cheap to purchase wholesale. 

I thought initially that MSC had decided it wasn't profitable as SA passengers have been known to drink the bars dry but, it was apparently in response to customer feedback. 

Did an SA cruise and was told by the crew that the ships would run out of alcohol if they offered packages in the region.  We had to purchase vouchers on our sailing.  (Brazilians have the same reputation and we actually witnessed the crazy level of stocking up that the bar staff had to do on our recent Seascape sailing as there were nearly 1000 Brazilians onboard).