OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JUNE 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Perhaps a more appropriate analogy is family A,B & C are told there will be a 30-minute wait for a table.  Five seconds later, family D comes in an offers the hostess $100 to be seated ahead of all those who are waiting. I understand that many people are comfortable doing this, it just makes me uncomfortable.

ttps://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de/econ-wp/lab/papers/0309/0309002.pdf

VI. Bribery-Tipping
The idea of bribery-tipping occurred to me while reading the description of tipping a
maitre d’ in Schein, Jablonski and Wohlfahrt (1984). Bribery-tipping is also done before
the service is rendered, as in tipping-in-advance. The difference between tipping-in-
advance and bribery-tipping is not always clear. Generally, I categorize tips in advance as
bribery-tipping when someone else (either other consumers or the employer) is hurt as a
result of what the worker does, and as tipping-in-advance otherwise.
Tipping-in-advance is paying for something that is socially desirable: better service.
Bribery-tipping is paying for something that is socially undesirable: getting preferred
treatment without justification at the expense of others. For example, tipping a concierge
in advance is not likely to hurt anyone and therefore is categorized as tipping-in-advance.
Tipping a maitre d’ in order to get a table without having a reservation in an overbooked
restaurant, however, implies that other customers with reservations (or those without
reservations who arrived before the tipper) will have to wait longer for their tables, and
can be considered a bribe offered to the maitre d’. Tipping the maitre d’ for a better table
is somewhat more complex to categorize, but can still be categorized as bribery-tipping.
If we assume that the customer is entitled to an average table, tipping the maitre d’ to get
a better table hurts the other customers who get less-than-average tables.
Another example for bribery-tipping in which the employer is hurt rather than other
customers is when a guest tips the reservation manager to get a free upgrade of a hotel
room. The owner of the hotel would prefer to sell the better room for a higher price rather
than giving it as a free upgrade, and is hurt by the tipping transaction. As with other cases of bribery, both the giver and the taker (the consumer and the worker) can be blamed.
Despite the negative connotations of bribery, bribery-tipping can be welfare enhancing.
For example, it allocates the good tables to those who value them the most, if we assume
that everyone can tip to get the better tables. If some customers are less willing “to bribe”
not because of the monetary cost but because they believe that this behavior is
inappropriate, however, bribery-tipping can also reduce welfare.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

27 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Please give us an example of our benefit coming at the expense of others.

Easy.  When you enter a full elevator and use your YC card for priority service, everyone else is inconvenienced for your benefit.

That said, we're not going to agree on this.  

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

ttps://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de/econ-wp/lab/papers/0309/0309002.pdf

VI. Bribery-Tipping
The idea of bribery-tipping occurred to me while reading the description of tipping a
maitre d’ in Schein, Jablonski and Wohlfahrt (1984). Bribery-tipping is also done before
the service is rendered, as in tipping-in-advance. The difference between tipping-in-
advance and bribery-tipping is not always clear. Generally, I categorize tips in advance as
bribery-tipping when someone else (either other consumers or the employer) is hurt as a
result of what the worker does, and as tipping-in-advance otherwise.
Tipping-in-advance is paying for something that is socially desirable: better service.
Bribery-tipping is paying for something that is socially undesirable: getting preferred
treatment without justification at the expense of others. For example, tipping a concierge
in advance is not likely to hurt anyone and therefore is categorized as tipping-in-advance.
Tipping a maitre d’ in order to get a table without having a reservation in an overbooked
restaurant, however, implies that other customers with reservations (or those without
reservations who arrived before the tipper) will have to wait longer for their tables, and
can be considered a bribe offered to the maitre d’. Tipping the maitre d’ for a better table
is somewhat more complex to categorize, but can still be categorized as bribery-tipping.
If we assume that the customer is entitled to an average table, tipping the maitre d’ to get
a better table hurts the other customers who get less-than-average tables.
Another example for bribery-tipping in which the employer is hurt rather than other
customers is when a guest tips the reservation manager to get a free upgrade of a hotel
room. The owner of the hotel would prefer to sell the better room for a higher price rather
than giving it as a free upgrade, and is hurt by the tipping transaction. As with other cases of bribery, both the giver and the taker (the consumer and the worker) can be blamed.
Despite the negative connotations of bribery, bribery-tipping can be welfare enhancing.
For example, it allocates the good tables to those who value them the most, if we assume
that everyone can tip to get the better tables. If some customers are less willing “to bribe”
not because of the monetary cost but because they believe that this behavior is
inappropriate, however, bribery-tipping can also reduce welfare.

That strikes me as a pretty pathetic and elitest rationalization.  Do you really believe that someone who can't afford to bribe for a better table values a good table less?  Poorer people just don't value nice things?  Really?  

Let's just move on. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:05 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Those residing in the YC, don't bother with these specialty restaurants, everything is better in the YC

I would agree, with the exception of the Butcher's Cut steak for us carnivores 🤣.

• Like 1

However, if you slipped the hostess $100 to be seated ahead of those of us who were waiting, I'd have some different feelings. 

I am glad you and most others readers feel the same. In your scenario it only costs $100 to be seated ahead of you. Could you imagine what it would cost me if everyone did the same. We had a different but similar situation couple years ago. There were a lack of new cars to purchase on the dealership lots. Could not get a car at MSRP. So we chose to pay the dealers mark up. This year we got a discount from MSRP. That's what the market place is all about, willing sellers and willing buyers negotiating. One is free to choose. The maitre d' was willing, I am willing, everyone in line is not willing. I felt the product had more value and was willing to pay more for it. Now what does upset me is paying for something and not getting what I had hoped. The MSC Yacht Club, the service, the extra tipping (all types) I feel all worth it, because "The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for." Will Rogers

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Easy.  When you enter a full elevator and use your YC card for priority service, everyone else is inconvenienced for your benefit.

That said, we're not going to agree on this.  

https://psliving.com/whats-most-important-to-seniors

"8. Comfort

There’s no place like home, and wherever senior citizens stay, their comfort should always be a top priority.

As they start to spend more time indoors than they used to, physical comfort becomes more and more important." Or when out on a cruise ship. Our tipping is just insurance. MSC is just one of the few cruise lines where we seniors can get the service and comfort we crave. (I have to add this to my list of 26 reasons to book MSC Yacht Club). Thanks to you both.

21 minutes ago, mnocket said:

That strikes me as a pretty pathetic and elitest rationalization.  Do you really believe that someone who can't afford to bribe for a better table values a good table less?  Poorer people just don't value nice things?  Really?  

Let's just move on. 

It is a University study.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SailorfromBrazil said:

Where did you get this numbers from?

I'd love to get this info on our next Feb sail at #Seaview.

The ship manifest.

I can not elaborate as there are those already bent out of shape that we get elevator over rides, and get to butt in front of them in line. No good deed goes unpunished when revealed. They would want the same courtesies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SailorfromBrazil said:

Where did you get this numbers from?

I'd love to get this info on our next Feb sail at #Seaview.

I've always gotten it by asking the YC Director onboard, but I'm not sure how you would get it in advance of your sailing. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Do you really believe that someone who can't afford to bribe for a better table values a good table less?

Obviously yes. I am standing in the same line at the end with a new date at Joe's Stone Crabs, Miami Beach.50 years ago and wanted to impress her. Went up to the maitre d'  slipped him $50 and he persuaded a group of four at the head of the line that all he had was a table of six and their wait for a table for 4 would be another hour unless they were willing to accept this young couple. Turned out to be a very memorable evening. They paid for our meal and I paid for all the desserts. moral I valued the table more.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I've always gotten it by asking the YC Director onboard, but I'm not sure how you would get it in advance of your sailing. 

That's what i thought, I meant once onboard, Any information prior to boarding would be very volatile.

• Like 1

When you enter a full elevator and use your YC card for priority service,

That was the old way. Now when we use our over ride option an empty elevator comes to pick us up non stop to our selected deck.

49 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"What do I remember 50 years ago."

Speaking of not remembering, I'm reminded of this Groucho Marx excerpt from the Friars Club roast of Johnny Carson.

Groucho: "I went to Nebraska to talk to Johnny’s mother. I’m happy to report she remembers Johnny... She doesn’t remember his father, but she remembers Johnny."

"Then I called on his old high school teacher, and I asked her, 'What kind of a student was Johnny Carson?' But she didn’t remember Johnny... However, she did remember Johnny’s father."

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We started out last evening's entertainment in Le Cabaret Rouge. The 4 piece band plays 4 songs and out comes MC Jacquay , followed by a lame juggler we saw before, but had nowhere to go, so waited added took this 17 second video of Georgia the resident songstress. Did not mean to video the couple leaving during Georgia's first song of the evening.