What to do on first day after embarking?

newbie202020

Hi, it's my first time traveling on Cunard and we're relatively new to cruising. What should we do on our first day after boarding and completing the muster drill? People have recommended going to the dining room to ensure we're happy with the seating arrangement, ask for conditioner and ask the room steward to empty the mini bar (for medical reason). Is there anything else? We're on the QE. Thanks

Registering your cruise card for muster can be done any time before sailing but often by 4pm.

For us, it's library first if open and then lunch but following a certain thread at the moment, if not on Freedom dining,  I'd say find out about your restaurant table!  🙂

• Thanks 1

(In addition or instead of things already mentioned)

Work out final orders at the Golden Lion for fish and chips.

Check the daily programme for any events coming up which should not be missed, including any sailaway events.

I get my shirts ironed for the next few days, since the laundry is usually quiet.

Wifi - sort out (may leave that to day 2 if my cell phone provider wifi is operating)

In Grills - sort out the headed letter papers

Have a friendly chat with the steward so we get to know each other

Consider getting the water package ordered in

Try to book the "behind the scenes" tour (sometimes they won't do that on day1, sometimes they do).

If making a future booking via the Sales office, popping down on the guise of getting an appointment, they will often handle the matter immediately if it looks like you know what you are doing. Maybe check for upgrades perhaps,

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newbie202020 said:

Which restaurants are open for lunch on embarkation day on QE? Thanks

Usually Lido and Golden Lion, plus the Grills. 

Depending on the specifics, there will sometimes be Afternoon Tea, it depends if it's a full or partial embarkation.

• Thanks 1

Where would I go once onboard to see if there are upgrades available on QE?

My trip is not showing on Cunard website anymore so I assume that it's sold out but I guess there could be last minute cancellations.

You've all been so helpful. Thanks so much

I'm getting even more excited about our first trip:  the Check In email arrived today!

--Comedy ensued as we tried to take non-criminal-looking IDs and to crop the pictures.

--Some chagrin at our assigned late boarding time (3:15)

--Dismay at a wrinkle with the luggage tags, but I'll call Cunard on Monday

My chief terror about the late boarding is that the Library shelves will be denuded!

Any advice to help late boarders?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I'm getting even more excited about our first trip:  the Check In email arrived today!

--Comedy ensued as we tried to take non-criminal-looking IDs and to crop the pictures.

My chief terror about the late boarding is that the Library shelves will be denuded!

I gather you're QM2.

On all but Annie, the max books were 2 per person. Head to the library asap but I think you'll be fine on Mary.

49 minutes ago, newbie202020 said:

Where would I go once onboard to see if there are upgrades available on QE?

As mentioned, it is in the Sales office. The purser's desk can also do it but there always seems a long line of people there with stateroom cards not working.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I wouldn't worry, it's not a usual day1 activity for that many people, so you won't be left with Plumbing for Dummies or some such.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I wouldn't worry, it's not a usual day1 activity for that many people, so you won't be left with Plumbing for Dummies or some such.

You might have done on Annie.☹️

Five books per passenger was dumb in itself!

43 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I've never paid attention to my (Red Hook) boarding time.  If all is normal, I'll bet you can be on board NLT 1:30.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I admire a cruise line that assumes they have a boatload of voracious readers!

They do have a boatload of voracious readers, as is evident if you walk round the outside decks on a warm day. In my experience, more books than Kindles, though the latter increase near the end.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tattycoram said:

I admire a cruise line that assumes they have a boatload of voracious readers!

and I'd admire the line if it had enough books to 'service' the five books per passenger!! ☹️

Two books is ample sufficiency!👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and I'd admire the line if it had enough books to 'service' the five books per passenger!! ☹️

Two books is ample sufficiency!👍

Also, the Librarian needs to be full time (or have assistance) and have a bigger desk. Poor Ashley was completely overwhelmed at times, nearly invisible behind piles of books.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

Comedy ensued as we tried to take non-criminal-looking IDs

Was it on Cruise Critic or elsewhere that I read "Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to be travelling"?

• Like 2