Transportation from London Gatwick to port of Dover, June 28,2024

9 hours ago, Cruider said:

Anybody have info or can suggest ways of getting to Dover from Gatwick other than Carnival transfer.

We are arriving June 26 from Canada.

That’s not the easiest journey to make by public transport and if Carnival are offering a direct transfer I wouldn’t rule it out.

Otherwise, your options are limited to taxi, private car transfer (both expensive, allow about 90 minutes) or train (several different routes, all involving at least one change of train, allow around 2.5-3 hours).

You can do it by train.  A "walk up" flexible "off peak single" ticket (valid after morning rush hour is over) costs only £27.  The downside is that it takes two and a half hours and requires two changes.  Train to Redhill - change - train to Tonbridge - change - train to Dover.

I'd be quite happy with that journey, but I routinely use public transport just about anywhere in the world.  You'll have no problem getting a seat. 

There is also a train route with only one change (at London St Pancras) but it costs about twice as much and isn't faster.

Using National Express coach for this journey isn't feasible.

Private Hire pre-booked car service will be quicker but cost a lot more.

A taxi off the rank at Gatwick is also possible, but will cost more again.

If its a same day transfer take the crusie transfer.  Multiple legs of public transport if you aren't used to the system with luggage after a long flight isn't my idea of fun.

It looks like you are arriving 2 days before your cruise. We spent our time in London visiting the sights and then had train tickets down to Dover from St. Pancras station on the Southeastern rail the morning of the cruise. Very smooth and easy. Most on our train were doing the exact same thing. That's exactly how we'll do it again in a year.

13 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

If its a same day transfer take the crusie transfer.  Multiple legs of public transport if you aren't used to the system with luggage after a long flight isn't my idea of fun.

Yep. one of the rare occasions when ships' overpriced coach transfers make a lot of sense.

Or get quotes for a private transfer - for two it'll probably be a shade more expensive than ship's coach, for 3 or more it'll be cheaper.

JB 🙂