Hop on hop off buses in Dublin, Belfast and Glasgow

Hello! Could someone please recommend a hop on hop off bus service in Dublin, Belfast and Glasgow. We will be on the Carnival Legend in July and we’re trying to figure out how to best see the sights without booking an actual tour. Any help you’re able to offer will be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

Could someone please recommend a hop on hop off bus service in Dublin, Belfast and Glasgow.

For Glasgow you will first need to make your way there from Greenock which is where you will actually dock.  There is a frequent train service from Grenock Central Station to Glasgow Central Station.  The VisitGlasgow.com website should have all the info you need to plan your time there, and as Glasgow has an excellent public transport system (buses, suburban trains, subway)you may not even need a HOHO, although it depends which sights of personal interest to you you choose to visit. The more you look into that website the more you will find.

As an example, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum can be easily reached by bus(stops outside)  or  subway.(5 minute walk, turn left as you exit the subway station) from close to Central Station and the George Square area. Bus #100 actually stops at both Kelvingrove and the Riverside Museum and leaves from both George Square and Central Station so that would be an easy option from Greenock should you choose both sights..

To help you decide, reviews of Glasgow sights and attractions can be easily found on Tripadvisor.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

Hello! Could someone please recommend a hop on hop off bus service in Dublin, Belfast and Glasgow. We will be on the Carnival Legend in July and we’re trying to figure out how to best see the sights without booking an actual tour. Any help you’re able to offer will be greatly appreciated!

Very useful in Glasgow because of some of the sites (like the University) being outside of the downtown core. Have not used in Belfast.

In Dublin it is less useful-- it works reasonably well in the morning but then gets hopeless mired in traffic in the early afternoons right into rush hour. Like we literally sat there for 30-40 minutes before deciding to just get out and walk and this wasn't a one off experience-- have spoken to lots of folks that it happened to. 

Dublin is much better done on foot. Take a taxi to Guiness or Kilmainham Gaol if you want to see them but most of the rest of it can be walked. 

• Thanks 1

We did the Dublin  HOHO bus. Booked entrance to the Guinness Storehouse Tour separately. Took the HOHO bus to right in front of Guinness. Did the Storehouse guness Tour. Got right back on HOHO bus and continued on the route 

On 6/17/2024 at 9:00 PM, VIFP1987 said:

Any help you’re able to offer will be greatly appreciated!

This thread currently just above yours would perhaps be interesting reading for you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2913447-dock-in-greenock-glasgow-or-edinburgh/#comment-67536072  As would other past threads containing the words Greenock, Glasgow, Dublin and Belfast.

Find them in seconds using the exzcellent SEARCH tool.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, edinburgher said:

For Glasgow you will first need to make your way there from Greenock which is where you will actually dock.  There is a frequent train service from Grenock Central Station to Glasgow Central Station.  The VisitGlasgow.com website should have all the info you need to plan your time there, and as Glasgow has an excellent public transport system (buses, suburban trains, subway)you may not even need a HOHO, although it depends which sights of personal interest to you you choose to visit. The more you look into that website the more you will find.

As an example, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum can be easily reached by bus(stops outside)  or  subway.(5 minute walk, turn left as you exit the subway station) from close to Central Station and the George Square area. Bus #100 actually stops at both Kelvingrove and the Riverside Museum and leaves from both George Square and Central Station so that would be an easy option from Greenock should you choose both sights..

To help you decide, reviews of Glasgow sights and attractions can be easily found on Tripadvisor.

Very helpful, thank you so much! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We did the Dublin  HOHO bus. Booked entrance to the Guinness Storehouse Tour separately. Took the HOHO bus to right in front of Guinness. Did the Storehouse guness Tour. Got right back on HOHO bus and continued on the route 

Thank you! 

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Very useful in Glasgow because of some of the sites (like the University) being outside of the downtown core. Have not used in Belfast.

In Dublin it is less useful-- it works reasonably well in the morning but then gets hopeless mired in traffic in the early afternoons right into rush hour. Like we literally sat there for 30-40 minutes before deciding to just get out and walk and this wasn't a one off experience-- have spoken to lots of folks that it happened to. 

Dublin is much better done on foot. Take a taxi to Guiness or Kilmainham Gaol if you want to see them but most of the rest of it can be walked. 

I appreciate your help, thank you! 

• Like 1

@princeton123211

We will definitely take a taxi to Guinness Storefront .. thanks for that tip. Our other points of interest are St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Christchurch, Leo Burdocks and Dublin Castle. Are any of these easily walkable or should we plan on taxi’s to get to some of these? In your opinion, are these all doable with the allotted time that we have (8 hours)? We would also like to allow some time to peruse Buchanan street.  Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, VIFP1987 said:

We will definitely take a taxi to Guinness Storefront .. thanks for that tip. Our other points of interest are St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Christchurch, Leo Burdocks and Dublin Castle. Are any of these easily walkable or should we plan on taxi’s to get to some of these?

Everything there except for Guiness is easily walkable. I would also suggest meandering around Trinity College (even if you don't go see the Book of Kells which is very worth it). Also nearby St Stephens Green is quite nice. O'Donoghues Pub nearby there is a great stop as is the Shelbourne Hotel for a drink (where the Irish Constitution was written on the second floor of the hotel). 

• Thanks 1

The Belfast hop on hop off runs from the City Hall, Donegall Square. It was interesting, but we opted not to leave the bus at Falls Road to look at all the murals and inscriptions. The HOHO is a safe way to get all the different areas in Belfast linked to the Troubles, and the commentaries will relate to this period as well.

There are elections on July 4 to British Parliament, and I was just up there 10 days ago. The election publicity was out in full force, and I got caught up in a March with the public transport suspended for hours. July is marching season, it could be worth making sure you don't get caught.

The Titanic Experience is an incredible venue. The architecture of the building itself is stunning outside, and the exhibition inside (25£ a person) is a must do. But  ... it will take you 2 hours if you go through it, reading 60% of the material. I am so glad I went. The HOHO has a stop outside.

I had the pleasure to participate in a guided tour of the Eastside development which focused on the economic downturn and redevelopment around the former rope works which was the largest anywhere. But that would not be for a first visit to Belfast, probably.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, swixpat said:

The Belfast hop on hop off runs from the City Hall, Donegall Square. It was interesting, but we opted not to leave the bus at Falls Road to look at all the murals and inscriptions. The HOHO is a safe way to get all the different areas in Belfast linked to the Troubles, and the commentaries will relate to this period as well.

There are elections on July 4 to British Parliament, and I was just up there 10 days ago. The election publicity was out in full force, and I got caught up in a March with the public transport suspended for hours. July is marching season, it could be worth making sure you don't get caught.

The Titanic Experience is an incredible venue. The architecture of the building itself is stunning outside, and the exhibition inside (25£ a person) is a must do. But  ... it will take you 2 hours if you go through it, reading 60% of the material. I am so glad I went. The HOHO has a stop outside.

I had the pleasure to participate in a guided tour of the Eastside development which focused on the economic downturn and redevelopment around the former rope works which was the largest anywhere. But that would not be for a first visit to Belfast, probably.

Great information! Thank you very much! 

I'm just back from a 4 day visit to Belfast.  Incredible place and offers as much as Dublin.  We didn't use the HoHo bus, but in a day may be a good option if you want to see the main sites briefly, but nothing in depth.

Over 4 days we did

City Hall Tour

Black Cab tour

Crumlin Road jail

Botanic Gardens

Ulster Museum

Gasworks quarter

Titanic and Nomadic

Walked miles, but refreshed at many local pubs.  Duke of York, Robinsons, the Crown Liquor Saloon and my favourite The Sunflower (not for the faint hearted!)

The Black cab tour of the Shanklin and Falls Road left us with more questions than answers.  Driver was very knowledgable, but I'm not sure its possible to find a completely neutral driver.  Within minutes it was obvious our driver was from Shankhill Road area, but that worked for me as I have a colleague whose father grew up in the area.

Well worth doing such a tour if the history of Northern Ireland/Ireland relationships from the 1600s is of interest.

On 6/27/2024 at 3:30 PM, Thejuggler said:

I'm just back from a 4 day visit to Belfast.  Incredible place and offers as much as Dublin.  We didn't use the HoHo bus, but in a day may be a good option if you want to see the main sites briefly, but nothing in depth.

Over 4 days we did

City Hall Tour

Black Cab tour

Crumlin Road jail

Botanic Gardens

Ulster Museum

Gasworks quarter

Titanic and Nomadic

Walked miles, but refreshed at many local pubs.  Duke of York, Robinsons, the Crown Liquor Saloon and my favourite The Sunflower (not for the faint hearted!)

The Black cab tour of the Shanklin and Falls Road left us with more questions than answers.  Driver was very knowledgable, but I'm not sure its possible to find a completely neutral driver.  Within minutes it was obvious our driver was from Shankhill Road area, but that worked for me as I have a colleague whose father grew up in the area.

Well worth doing such a tour if the history of Northern Ireland/Ireland relationships from the 1600s is of interest.

This is great information! Thank you for taking the time to share!