Alaska city puts limit on how many cruise passengers can visit after being overwhelmed by tourists last year

ontheweb

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

The limits mentioned in the article seem quite reasonable for a community 32,000. 16 thousand beds during the week and 12 thousand on the Saturdays. I've been in Key West when the boats discharge their respirating cargo and have see how comparatively fewer cruisers than Juneau is facing can disrupt a place. Some cruisers have a massive sense of entitlement and can be profoundly obnoxious. 

What it boils down to is the fact that the “success” of the cruising business  is leading to its failing in many ways.  Ports which accept too many cruisers are not worth visiting, and more ports will start restricting numbers — not many places want to accept day trippers who come with one shirt and one $20 bill, and don’t change either.  I expect that the industry will start to split: ultra large, low cost ships which offer boundless activities will continue to attract low budget cruisers and limit port calls to private islands; while smaller ships will cater to travelers interested in ports (which will become less welcoming to large ships, or even large passenger loads) - essentially returning to the way cruising was 20+ years  and more ago.

I believe that the ports should and hopefully will eventually do with all the cruise ports what many of the National Parks have done - ration the number of visitors.  Once that number of has been reached admit no more visitors.  The people who insist in cruising on the Genormous of the Seas type ships should just go out to sea somewhere and anchor or cruise slowly in circles so that the people who feel that they have to cruise on these ships can stay at sea and do whatever they wish.  The private islands in the Caribbean already partly serve this function fairly well.  Genormous of the Seas type ships just do not belong in places like AK at all.

DON

• Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 8:58 AM, jsn55 said:

I'm sailing Crown Princess out of San Francisco in August.  My main goal is R&R, but I do want to see something in each port.  Discovered that there will be FIVE ships in Juneau ... horrifying.  No interest in strolling around the town amid hordes of pax, so have to book ship's tours or risk a miserable day.  I guess the only way to avoid this is to check cruising schedules before booking.  Crazy!  

Juneau is a good place to go whale watching, Taku Glacier Lodge, Tracy Arm.  

On 6/18/2024 at 9:27 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Ports which accept too many cruisers are not worth visiting,

Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded. 

• Haha 1