LIVE (almost) from QM2 Transatlantic June 23 to June 29

Joe33472

Lucky you Joe3.

My embarkation was an absolute nightmare, standing for hours (literally) shuffling slowly forward in stuffy and airless conditions - a long queue to get in the queue, which was also very long, then finally another very long queue through security. 
Didn’t get on board till well after 4pm. 
Then very disturbed to find:

No power points or usb outlets by the bed - big fail. 
No shaver socket in bathroom in which to plug my nightlight - second big fail. 
What twisted mind dreamt up those bizarre coat hangers? They are going to drive me berserk every time I need something out of the closet. 
A fixed hair dryer in the drawer that would be most useful to use? Yet another huge fail. 
No choice of pillow. I am accustomed to having memory foam pillows available but apparently not so on this ship. So six nights of rotten sleep coming up. Wonderful. 

I hope the rest of you enjoy your cruise but I can already tell I’m one and done for Cunard. 

19 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

There is. I think it's at right hand side of lamp over mirror. It is a shaver socket. Not a charging socket or nightlight socket. If you were using a powered rather than rechargeable shaver you would plug it in and need the light on to see what you were doing. When QM2 was specified pre 2004 that would have fitted with what was required of electric shavers.

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

Thanks for posting!  Their lunch menus looked better then the dinners.  

Roasted carrots for an appetizer?   Ham knuckle?  

No wonder I have the pop ups booked.

I'm totally not adventurous, but decided to live a little and try the ham knuckle...... I think I would have been better with the roasted carrots.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Lucky you Joe3.

My embarkation was an absolute nightmare, standing for hours (literally) shuffling slowly forward in stuffy and airless conditions - a long queue to get in the queue, which was also very long, then finally another very long queue through security. 

What twisted mind dreamt up those bizarre coat hangers? They are going to drive me berserk every time I need something out of the closet. 
A fixed hair dryer in the drawer that would be most useful to use? Yet another huge fail. 
No choice of pillow. I am accustomed to having memory foam pillows available but apparently not so on this ship. So six nights of rotten sleep coming up. Wonderful. 

I hope the rest of you enjoy your cruise but I can already tell I’m one and done for Cunard. 

So sorry you're not having a good experience so far @jollyjones.  The check-in area was pretty chaotic.  I kind of knew that the USB outlets would be an issue and planned accordingly.   I think that the ship was built before USB was invented..... just kidding.... well maybe not kidding....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Lucky you Joe3.

Sorry for seeming rude, but most of this stuff you could have found out way before hand? Too many cabin tours to count for Queen Mary 2.

Sorry for the bad embarkation though, I’m sure that’s due to her not usually using QE2 terminal.

• Like 4

Went to dinner and things were quicker than lunch, but sadly I'm still not impressed with the food or the service.   My SO had pork medallions and her food was literally cold.   My steak was under cooked and tough.   We're not the type to send things back to the kitchen, we just don't do it. 

The surprising thing is that nobody seemed to notice or care.  This is what I had left over after eating (maybe a couple more bites, but substantially what's below).  If I had left this amount of food uneaten at any nice restaurant in the states, the manager would have come over to ask if there was a problem and/or offer something else.  When we were in the Cinque Terre a few months ago I left my meal 3/4 uneaten and the owner of the restaurant came out to see what my problem was.  I told him the problem was me and not his food, that I was full, but I really didn't care for the recipe. 

IMG_3954.thumb.JPEG.e4d1fe48d4c66550049ed61d2cff06da.JPEG

On a positive note, I had pouched pear for dessert and that was FANTASTIC.  The best think I've eaten so far.  Since it's a cold dessert, there was no problem with the temperature.

I would have posted a picture of the pear, but the Internet is not cooperating.... UGH.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Lucky you Joe3.

1 hour ago, D&N said:

There is. I think it's at right hand side of lamp over mirror. It is a shaver socket. Not a charging socket or nightlight socket. If you were using a powered rather than rechargeable shaver you would plug it in and need the light on to see what you were doing. When QM2 was specified pre 2004 that would have fitted with what was required of electric shavers.

Thank you for posting this - you are correct but unfortunately my nightlight although small and LED so very low current drain, won’t plug in because the outlet is too close to the mirror, the nightlight isn’t quite small enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jollyjones said:

Thank you for posting this - you are correct but unfortunately my nightlight although small and LED so very low current drain, won’t plug in because the outlet is too close to the mirror, the nightlight isn’t quite small enough. 

Besides, I'm afraid you would need that light switched on to power the socket!

It's just not designed for it.

We tried plugging in a toothbrush charger, but realised it stopped charging when light was switched off. We obviously had other means to charge the brush.

• Like 1

We disembarked a week ago and found both types of pillows on the bed - memory foam and a soft, fluffy one. Perhaps you might ask your room steward for ones that suit your needs. When we first began sailing QM2 we took a nightlight then realised that the bathroom light has two settings.  Bright for while showering, make up etc., and a low light for during the night.  The controls are to the outside of the bathroom door. We tend to pack handing clothes on lightweight, velvet covered hangers so that we can just push those interlocking hangers to one side and not have to bother using them at all.  (Too late for you, I realise). Hopefully you will enjoy the rest of your time on QM2.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Sorry for seeming rude, but most of this stuff you could have found out way before hand? Too many cabin tours to count for Queen Mary 2.

Sorry for the bad embarkation though, I’m sure that’s due to her not usually using QE2 terminal.

You are correct and I tried to watch some but found them too much chatter and not enough detail. 
And nobody mentioned the utterly bizarre coat hangers, how could anyone have thought they’d be a good idea?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, amias said:

We disembarked a week ago and found both types of pillows on the bed - memory foam and a soft, fluffy one. Perhaps you might ask your room steward for ones that suit your needs. When we first began sailing QM2 we took a nightlight then realised that the bathroom light has two settings.  Bright for while showering, make up etc., and a low light for during the night.  The controls are to the outside of the bathroom door. We tend to pack handing clothes on lightweight, velvet covered hangers so that we can just push those interlocking hangers to one side and not have to bother using them at all.  (Too late for you, I realise). Hopefully you will enjoy the rest of your time on QM2.

Interesting. The first thing I asked my steward for was the pillows, he went to see and came back and told me they were not available. 
Also I have poked and prodded the bathroom light switch and nothing changes, it’s just on bright or off. Dunno what I’m missing. 
And having to bring your own coat hangers on board? I can see that it’s necessary but really?

But thanks for posting, I appreciate the info. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, amias said:

We tend to pack handing clothes

6 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

And nobody mentioned the utterly bizarre coat hangers, how could anyone have thought they’d be a good idea?

Jolly,

I dislike those coat hangers as well but they were very common in hotels in the States about 20 years ago, about the time QM2 was built. Your cabin steward will be happy to provide you with nice heavy duty chrome wire coat hangers with the standard hook. We just got off the QM2 one week ago and had no problem getting 20 of them. 

Jack

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Jolly,

I dislike those coat hangers as well but they were very common in hotels in the States about 20 years ago, about the time QM2 was built. Your cabin steward will be happy to provide you with nice heavy duty chrome wire coat hangers with the standard hook. We just got off the QM2 one week ago and had no problem getting 20 of them. 

Jack

Again, thanks to you and everyone for being so helpful and I will certainly pursue the option of regular coat hangers. 
Hopefully my steward won’t say they’re not available either. 

7 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Interesting. The first thing I asked my steward for was the pillows, he went to see and came back and told me they were not available. 
Also I have poked and prodded the bathroom light switch and nothing changes, it’s just on bright or off. Dunno what I’m missing. 
And having to bring your own coat hangers on board? I can see that it’s necessary but really?

But thanks for posting, I appreciate the info. 

Sorry about the pillows. And about the bathroom light! Again, maybe your steward can help with that. Packing our stuff on hangers is a result of pure laziness - they go straight from the suitcase to closet rail, saving us precious ship time not having to transfer our clothes to hangers! The chrome hangers are also a good option - untangling those wood ones can be frustrating. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think we're done for the night and just going to have a night cap in our cabin.    We went out and about and things were pretty quiet.   Must be a lot of tired people too.   It's really has been a long day.  We left the room at 9:45 p.m. and I was looking for a snack and there is no option that I can see until 11:00 p.m. snack in Kings Court.   I don't want room service, so I think I'm out of luck at least for tonight. 

I was just informed by my SO that she's doesn't want to go to QG for breakfast for bad food.  I really don't like buffets, so we're at an impasse.   Maybe a good night's sleep and she'll wake up with a better attitude.  I'm trying to remain positive and mentioned that a bunch of staff was transferred to Queen Anne.  She says, "Not our problem".  

Tomorrow night is Gala night.   Red and Gold.   

Day 2 Programme.pdf

Edited by Joe33472
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you @Joe33472 for posting the Daily Programme for each day - I'm boarding in NYC on Jun 29th, just after you disembark, and most likely, the daily programme will be the same, so it's a good way to get to know all the activities coming up ... also, almost certainly we will also have Captain Aseem Hashmi, so again, it will be a very similar cruise - although we are sailing up to Canada instead of back to the UK.  Thank you !

Edited by Kordy
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Thank you @Joe33472 for posting the Daily Programme for each day - I'm boarding in NYC on Jun 29th, just after you disembark, and most likely, the daily programme will be the same, so it's a good way to get to know all the activities coming up ... also, almost certainly we will also have Captain Aseem Hashmi, so again, it will be a very similar cruise - although we are sailing up to Canada instead of back to the UK.  Thank you !

I'm glad it's helpful.  Hope you have a great trip next week!   

28 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I was just informed by my SO that she's doesn't want to go to QG for breakfast for bad food.  I really don't like buffets, so we're at an impasse.   Maybe a good night's sleep and she'll wake up with a better attitude.  I'm trying to remain positive and mentioned that a bunch of staff was transferred to Queen Anne.  She says, "Not our problem".  

As a general point, if you don't complain you tend to miss out on remediation, as I'm sure you appreciate and thus it is unsurprising that no-one notices. You would have paid significant sums for QG so if the food isn't hot then they need to know.

It would be close to crazy (at least to my mind) to not have breakfast by not having room service, QG or Kings Court, however you do have the option of Britannia for breakfast (and lunch), it's just evening meals where you would be expected to go to your own restaurant.That would be an eccentric outcome though.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your QG food and non-attentive service. We were on the Dec22 transatlantic and the food and service were very good. We are repeating the experience this December, and have friends joining us this time, also in QG, so I am getting a little concerned now. It would be quite embarrassing if they are serving the buffet food in QG, after we have been telling our friends what a wonderful experience it was.

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that I went to the spa today and got a haircut from the barber.   He had 2 months of growth to deal with and did a wonderful job, as I apologized profusely and tipped generously at the end.  I feel like a whole new person.  So that was a wonderful thing today.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wagtail adventures said:

Sorry to hear of your QG food and non-attentive service. We were on the Dec22 transatlantic and the food and service were very good. We are repeating the experience this December, and have friends joining us this time, also in QG, so I am getting a little concerned now. It would be quite embarrassing if they are serving the buffet food in QG, after we have been telling our friends what a wonderful experience it was.

Just out of curiosity, we went through the buffet tonight after dinner to see what duplicates were on the QG menu for dinner and what was being served on the buffet and we found several duplicates.  The asparagus soup and the fillet of trout, the exact same food on both menus.  I certainly wasn't going to cross reference the two menus, but based on lunch, I'm sure there were more.  We paid extra to do QG because the food was supposed to be so good, but it's the same stuff as on the buffet?  Not a good sign.  It's also cold and not cooked to order.  I'm really at a loss for words.  

• Like 3