Shuttles in port? (Langosta)

kad56

Are threre any shuttles in port at cozumel? I'd like to go to either a quiet beach on the east side, or punta sur. I'm solo so the taxi prices for both are bit steep. What's on offer at the port itself?

5 hours ago, kad56 said:

Are threre any shuttles in port at cozumel? I'd like to go to either a quiet beach on the east side, or punta sur. I'm solo so the taxi prices for both are bit steep. What's on offer at the port itself?

There is no group transport other than a cruise ship, or third party excursion.

You could contact people on your roll call and see if anyone wants to form a private group and hire a private driver for the day to take you where you want to go on a customized tour of the east side.

The easiest transport and sightseeing on the east side for a single is via the Bar Hop. It is a private tour which meets within walking distance of Punta Langosta  which is a popular, well-run tour which, despite its name, is not usually a party bus (although always dependent on who signs up and all bets are off if it is Spring Break!). Unfortunately you are limited to a schedule, you will only have about 45 mins at each location, and you will not visit Punta Sur.

16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

There is no group transport other than a cruise ship, or third party excursion.

This is not true.

You'd better have some Spanish, and not mind riding in a van that likely has no AC and nothing but locals - but there is absolutely group transport.

Uniper Colectivo's run around the island regularly. You can download their app for routes/schedules.

https://unipercozumel.com/en/home/

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, aborgman said:

This is not true.

You'd better have some Spanish, and not mind riding in a van that likely has no AC and nothing but locals - but there is absolutely group transport.

Uniper Colectivo's run around the island regularly. You can download their app for routes/schedules.

You are absolutely correct there are mini van (bus) routes  (colectivos) which run predominantly on set routes around town, and one even out on the transversal, mostly for locals. I am not sure how useful the routes are for most tourists and certainly not something I would want to rely on for a visit to the east side on a cruise ship day.

YMMV.

Edited by c-leg5

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

You are absolutely correct there are mini van (bus) routes  (colectivos) which run predominantly on set routes around town, and one even out on the transversal, mostly for locals. I am not sure how useful the routes are for most tourists and certainly not something I would want to rely on for a visit to the east side on a cruise ship day.

YMMV.

Certain days of the week there is a Colectivo that runs from downtown to Chen Rio... and the Colectivos are pretty good about maintaining a schedule.

13 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Certain days of the week there is a Colectivo that runs from downtown to Chen Rio... and the Colectivos are pretty good about maintaining a schedule.

Good to know perhaps the OP will be lucky with the day they are in port? 

It isn’t an option I would choose on a cruise ship day (maybe on a land visit) but everyone has their own comfort levels. 

@kad56As an aside, visits to east side for a beach visit are very dependent on season and sargassum. We have cut short visits to some of our favorite places on visits during the summer due to heat and smell. Punta Sur is probably better in that respect but expensive as a solo.

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Good to know perhaps the OP will be lucky with the day they are in port? 

It isn’t an option I would choose on a cruise ship day (maybe on a land visit) but everyone has their own comfort levels. 

@kad56As an aside, visits to east side for a beach visit are very dependent on season and sargassum. We have cut short visits to some of our favorite places on visits during the summer due to heat and smell. Punta Sur is probably better in that respect but expensive as a solo.

Yeah, I'd definitely be a little concerned about time frame depending on what hours your ship is in port.

The couple times I've used them we've been staying on the island.

...and I'd definitely check the sargassum maps and weather before hitting the east side.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

This is not true.

Thank you! This is golden. I do have some Spanish, and I've gotten around using it visiting Mexico in the past. I'll check it out.

• Like 1

My original plan was to scuba dive (I'm certified), but I'm (1) trying to save money and (2) the timing's really tight and the scuba shops are not totally set up to take cruise ship customers. So I'm looking for a DIY

43 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Yeah, I'd definitely be a little concerned about time frame depending on what hours your ship is in port.

The couple times I've used them we've been staying on the island.

...and I'd definitely check the sargassum maps and weather before hitting the east side.

I agree I would be a lot more comfort while staying.

Chen Rio isn’t one of my favorites but I wasn’t aware the collective even went that far? I thought it turned round at the end of the transversal. Does it do a complete circular tour? Does it stop anywhere else? 

10 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I agree I would be a lot more comfort while staying.

Chen Rio isn’t one of my favorites but I wasn’t aware the collective even went that far? I thought it turned round at the end of the transversal. Does it do a complete circular tour? Does it stop anywhere else? 

It used to stop at Chen Rio, Playa San Martin, and Playa Bonita.

It did not do a full circle, but turned around I believe at El Mirador.

• Thanks 1

Ok, I did some more googling, and it looks like they stopped operating back in 2022. Victim of the pandemic. I'm thinking I'm going to risk it and go with a scuba excursion after all.

• Like 1