Sail out of Miami, but hate Miami airport.

We use Larry's Limos to get across town, when we're flying into one airport, and sailing from the other port. They've been around forever, and are still very good -- and, IMHO, reasonably priced.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 10:16 PM, DennysDad said:

Only because I really want to try Beyond am I doing Miami.

Unless those dates/itineraries don't appeal to you, Beyond also has cruises out of FLL.

I also hate MIA airport and usually fly to FLL, even when cruising out of MIA

Posted (edited)

We are sailing out of Miami. Southwest just recently changed their schedules and now there are no direct flights from FLL or MIA to our home airport.  And the subsequent layovers are ridiculous, between 7 1/2 hours to over 10 hours travel time for a 4-hour flight.  So....we are flying in and out of Orlando and taking the Brightline down and back.  I would rather spend 3.5 hours on a train than crazy long hours sitting in an airport.  Our flight back gets us home sooner, even traveling up to MCO, than most options out of FLL or MIA after 12pm.  

We are coming in 2 days early and staying at the Intercontinental and the Brightline station is just minutes away.  We have plenty of time for delays. Also, an easy uber from the port to the station without having to be there in advance for security. You only have to check in 5 minutes before the train leaves. 

Edited by cruise_co

17 hours ago, cruise_co said:

We are coming in 2 days early and staying at the Intercontinental and the Brightline station is just minutes away.  We have plenty of time for delays. Also, an easy uber from the port to the station without having to be there in advance for security. You only have to check in 5 minutes before the train leaves. 

Just to clarify for someone who is considering Brightline:

1. There is security before boarding; bags must go through the scanner.

2. Boarding closes four minutes before the train departs. I wouldn't read that as needing to be at the station only five minutes in advance of departure time. Even the Brightline website suggests 15-20 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Just to clarify for someone who is considering Brightline:

1. There is security before boarding; bags must go through the scanner.

2. Boarding closes four minutes before the train departs. I wouldn't read that as needing to be at the station only five minutes in advance of departure time. Even the Brightline website suggests 15-20 minutes.

Oops, forgot the 1 in front of the 5. 

While we would prefer to fly into MIA or FLL, our cruise is in the fall and the priority for us is a direct flight somewhere into FL.  We don't want to deal with Southwest and connecting flights during hurricane season. As it is, I have a backup flight booked into MCO for the next day just in case we have a not-uncommon early blizzard.

Edited by cruise_co