Report from the muse.

milepig

Such braggadocio is crass. Some may feel a need to tip. Others wish to recognize exceptional service, I have seldom come across a post like this …seems to use daily tipping to garner attention..and it does ‘t sound appreciative respectful of the staff but rather, derisive and manipulative. Sad.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

You guys seem to be missing the point. Every Silversea guest tips. The tips are included in the price paid. If you want to give extra, there is a crew fund to which you can contribute which equally gives and distributes the money to all staff, including those you don’t see directly.

Edited by MuseCruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MuseCruiser said:

You guys seem to be missing the point. Every Silversea guest tips. The tips are included in the price paid. If you want to give extra, there is a crew fund to which you can contribute which equally gives and distributes the money to all staff, including those you don’t see directly.

The crew fund is usually used for staff emergencies, parties etc. I have never heard that it is distributed to all staff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

From the Captain:

PXL_20240521_1302164843.thumb.jpg.5faac1136ce4d12416f4dc990adc9b99.jpg

Thanks. I worded my comment poorly. Yes it goes for staff parties, events etc. I didn't mean to imply everyone got money handed to them but my phrasing made it sound this way. Thanks for posting this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2024 at 6:51 AM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

We got off the Muse in Seward yesterday...  Food mostly OK, but we're spoiled from home cooking & local Oregon restaurants. … We tipped the room stewart everyday, and the butler twice a week, as well as anyone handing us lattes or such. …  Ironically, rather than "pay extra" options with lots of hype, I'd rather see them up the game on basic free food - more variety, a few options for people that don't require or prefer bland food; unleash the tonic chefs! 

I’m on the Nova currently. I don’t think I’ve seen any tipping. Or wallets at all. Bringing additional tipping in seems antithetical to the relaxed luxury Silversea is about.

But yeah, the food is very pretty, with very good ingredients, but under spiced/seasoned and slightly over-cooked even when you ask for otherwise. 10/10 for presentation, let down by aiming, I suspect, for food middle-America would be comfortable with. 

19 hours ago, Emdee said:

I think people who are not used to having staff tip “ to keep them on their toes”.

The rest of us offer gracious thanks or a small consideration as thanks. 

If you find the staff isn’t on their toes, talk to the hotel director. Tipping is the wrong answer. But, at least on the Nova for our first three days, everyone has been beyond reproach. My SO is giddy with the experience.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TechSurfer said:

I’m on the Nova currently. I don’t think I’ve seen any tipping. Or wallets at all. Bringing additional tipping in seems antithetical to the relaxed luxury Silversea is about.

But yeah, the food is very pretty, with very good ingredients, but under spiced/seasoned and slightly over-cooked even when you ask for otherwise. 10/10 for presentation, let down by aiming, I suspect, for food middle-America would be comfortable with. 

If you find the staff isn’t on their toes, talk to the hotel director. Tipping is the wrong answer. But, at least on the Nova for our first three days, everyone has been beyond reproach. My SO is giddy with the experience.

Talking to the Hotel Director on the Moon was non productive. He assured me that Silversea had enough of returning passengers so they must be doing something right! 
All we said to him was that the staff were not trained to cook or serve ( jelly like grossly undercooked lobster in La Dame…salad handed to you with fingers in the plate touching the lettuce) and it was the management’s responsibility to train them. 

• Like 1