College Fjord vs Hubbard Glacier

abcoltsfan

Posted (edited)

I am going on an Alaska cruise on Princess next June and considering various options. The options I like go to either College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier. Is there a consensus as to which is the favorite? I know that is subjective, but I have to start researching somewhere! Thanks!

Edited by abcoltsfan

The only issue is that early in the season (like June) there can be so much ice in the bay in front of the Hubbard Glacier that the ships can't get very close, or on rare occasions skip the call entirely.  When it's accessible, however, it's pretty spectacular.

20100708_246s.jpg

Many cruiselines do not necessarily get very close to Hubbard, espeically if they are selling shorex that take pax on what is usually a 2 - 3 hour trip up close and personal. The ship usually sit back quite a ways away from the face of the glacier, so take good binoculars.

We like College Fjord because it is a long sail in, with many glaciers to see quite close up on both sides and a lovely sail out, about 3 hours of sailing time. 

We were at Hubbard Glacier last week, we took the catamaran excursion for close up viewing.  We saw a lot of calving, one was so impactful that it rocked our catamaran.  We were also in College Fjord which is more of a fjord experience, beautiful and some calving but much less impressive.  Hubbard is a huge glacier.  Both experiences are worthwhile.  Hubbard is impressive from a cruise ship, it’s amazing close up.  We were there on a sunny, reasonably warm day which may have contributed to the massive calving.  

Hubbard is great if you get close. Most of the time, I don't get close. There are times when I am 5-9 miles away which makes it pretty much a miss. I have only gotten close 1/4 of the time.

I like College Fiords and it is easier to get close (though it doesn't calve as much).

Sort of a toss up. If you are docking in Whittier you can schedule 26 Glacier Cruise before or after your cruise in a small boat and this would give you College Fiords: https://phillipscruises.com/26-glacier-cruise/ 

And if you select Hubbard - you can then see both! Just make sure you plan your flights accordingly.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

was at college fjord 6/14 and it calved beautifully. we were pretty close to the glacier --i was amazed that our captain allowed such a big ship this close to the broken pieces of ices everywhere around us. 

There was one day in 2003 I believe that I went to College Fiords. It was magical. The sun was shinning and the glaciers looked amazing. It was the first time Coral Princess was in Alaska and Princess sent helicopters to video/photo the event (before drones). We spent extra long there because of that. College fiords can be pretty amazing when the conditions are right.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sharon_pei said:

was at college fjord 6/14 and it calved beautifully. we were pretty close to the glacier --i was amazed that our captain allowed such a big ship this close to the broken pieces of ices everywhere around us. 

We were there also.  It was a beautiful day!

I have done both (just got back Sunday).  Hubbard is definitely bigger and very impressive. College Fjord is beautiful also.  It's a hard decision to have to make. We booked the 14 day Voyage of the Glaciers Grand Adventure and luckily did both.

Just got back from the HAL Noordam on as Southbound cruise.  It was great.   Hubbard was a long way away though.  So we did not get close.  Still cool.   Next time I would pay the $300 pp for the tour to be closer as they got a lot closer.

But I do enjoy the Southbound.  Though next time, I will likely make sure there is enough time to so the Phillips 26 glacier cruise to do College Fjord.  I did not do it this time.  But will next.

Southbound also lets you do inside passage during the day, which was cool.

The 14 day both ways would get you both options for the extra charge.

The next time we do Alasak.  And there will be a next time.  I would do Southbound again as we were able to fly in early and do our own tour.  I would just make it longer.  Kenai Fjords via Seward was awesome.  Will do that again.

• Like 1