Major Change with Flight Ease?

Just noticed that as of today (it could have happened a few days ago) Flight Ease only works for flights that are no more than 5 days pre or post cruise.  This is the same on the Princess EZAIR system (which is actually the same folks who handle Seabourn).  Since nobody has posted anything about an announcement, we are not sure if this is a fly/cruise policy change for all the CCL companies, or if it just a software glitch.

I should also mention that while looking at some future air options (for Seabourn) we have noticed that the air fares we see on Flight Ease are similar to booking the same air on any platform or direct with the airlines.  The terrific deals we used to see, especially for international first/business, seem to have disappeared.   Am hoping this is just a temporary software issue, but we shall have to wait and see.

Hank

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just noticed that as of today (it could have happened a few days ago) Flight Ease only works for flights that are no more than 5 days pre or post cruise.  This is the same on the Princess EZAIR system (which is actually the same folks who handle Seabourn).  Since nobody has posted anything about an announcement, we are not sure if this is a fly/cruise policy change for all the CCL companies, or if it just a software glitch.

I should also mention that while looking at some future air options (for Seabourn) we have noticed that the air fares we see on Flight Ease are similar to booking the same air on any platform or direct with the airlines.  The terrific deals we used to see, especially for international first/business, seem to have disappeared.   Am hoping this is just a temporary software issue, but we shall have to wait and see.

Hank

Bummer. I am about to start looking for next march. 

25 minutes ago, marazul said:

Bummer. I am about to start looking for next march. 

Lets hope it is just a temporary issue.

I booked a flight through Flightease as recently as 3 weeks ago and it was ~half off of published airfares for that flight.  Albeit it was a last minute, one-way, business class ticket US-Europe.

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Lets hope it is just a temporary issue.

It doesn't show AA flights, but it shows codeshare with BA and IB.

And the prices are twice what we got for our cruise this fall.

Let's hope...

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

It doesn't show AA flights, but it shows codeshare with BA and IB.

And the prices are twice what we got for our cruise this fall.

Let's hope...

I join you in crossing fingers (and toes).  We have an upcoming SB cruise in Japan and needed one-way to Tokyo.  Looking at the SB offerings was quite depressing as the prices were not much different than what is available direct from the airlines.  We finally decided to book Turkish Air (Business Class) but do a multi-day stopover in Istanbul (we really enjoy Turkey) which added very little to the cost of our air.  We booked direct with the airline!

There have been times, in the past, when we booked cruises with various CCL brands (SB, HAL, and Princess) because we could get terrific Business Class fares through the lines (they all use the same folks to handle their air).  That advantage is now gone (at least for the moment) which might cause us to look more to Oceania (we really liked their new Vista) for some future bookings.

Hank

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There have been times, in the past, when we booked cruises with various CCL brands (SB, HAL, and Princess) because we could get terrific Business Class fares through the lines (they all use the same folks to handle their air).  That advantage is now gone (at least for the moment) which might cause us to look more to Oceania (we really liked their new Vista) for some future bookings.

Hank

Hank, I am sure hoping that this is a temporary ‘glitch’ as well.
We are comparing a few itineraries for next year, including land vs sea travel. When I look at Oceania costs, and I add in the gratuities and upgraded drink package to be most in line with SB, I don’t always see a huge differential in costs on some itineraries we are considering. I imagine/expect (haven’t sailed O) a difference in experience. I saw the value in the air savings with the SB program in the past, so maybe it then turns into all about the itinerary, if the experience at O was at par with what you look for. I know you have sailed many lines, but in the past SB was highly regarded by you. 

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Hank, I am sure hoping that this is a temporary ‘glitch’ as well.
We are comparing a few itineraries for next year, including land vs sea travel. When I look at Oceania costs, and I add in the gratuities and upgraded drink package to be most in line with SB, I don’t always see a huge differential in costs on some itineraries we are considering. I imagine/expect (haven’t sailed O) a difference in experience. I saw the value in the air savings with the SB program in the past, so maybe it then turns into all about the itinerary, if the experience at O was at par with what you look for. I know you have sailed many lines, but in the past SB was highly regarded by you. 

We still consider SB to our favorite cruise line.  While we do enjoy several other lines (and routinely cruise other lines) we find SB best satisfies our wants, desires, and even budget.  But take away the airline price advantage we get with SB, and that does make other lines more price competitive.   And by the way, there are two things, on the Oceania Vista, that we think beats SB.  1.  The deck loungers on O are far nicer than what is on SB, and 2.  Waves, which is the VIsta's semi-outdoor grill and sandwich venue.  One could also make a case that the Vista's Grand Dining Room (their MDR) is equal or better than The Restaurant!

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you Hank. If this airfare on SB stays high, that does take away a key overall advantage to sailing over other lines. 
Oceania is taking away their pricing program with stated specific airline pricing starting next month. No one seems to know how that will affect overall pricing with O as well. 
I am hoping to use miles for next year. We will see how that rolls. Windows open up this coming week for return dates we are considering. 

2 minutes ago, marazul said:

@Hlitner@Vineyard View-

I was advised to be patient, which doesn't come naturally for me.

It's too early for next year's flights even if the airlines have their schedules out by now.

Did they say anything about the 5 day (pre or post cruise) limitation?  For us, that would normally stop us from even looking at cruise/air,  When it comes to Europe or Asia we often like to tack on weeks of pre/post travel.

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

Did they say anything about the 5 day (pre or post cruise) limitation?  For us, that would normally stop us from even looking at cruise/air,  When it comes to Europe or Asia we often like to tack on weeks of pre/post travel.

Hank

Sorry, I didn't ask and I should have since we also like to add more time.  

• Thanks 1