Purple shampoo

My hair's about 25% gray, and I've started using purple shampoo.  It makes my gray lighter and brighter (as opposed to rather dull and cloudy -- I understand now what people mean when they say "brassy", and it's not a nice shade.  

I'm very happy with the liquid shampoo I'm using at home (incidentally, I prefer the less-expensive Walmart brand), but I have two questions: 

- I'd like to pick up a BAR of shampoo (and hopefully conditioner) for air travel.  I see some purple bars on Amazon, but they're pretty expensive; well, considering that one bar equals two bottles, they're not a bad value, but they're expensive up front.  I'd like to hear whether anyone else likes them before I spend that much.  Link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6L9FNSB/?coliid=IZMOINB3HJFC1&colid=2DR6B6E645R0Z&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it  

- I haven't had any luck finding purple conditioner locally.  The above link includes a rice-water conditioner.  Has anyone tried this?  Or has anyone else found a purple conditioner that works well?  

Thanks in advance for any help y'all might provide.  

Clariol shimmer is the gold standard. It gets good reviews, is recommended by stylists and cheap.  I simply carry my preferred toiletries in multiple small bottles suitable for air travel. I always use a piece of plastic wrap across the mouth of the bottle prior to screwing on the cap and never have a leak. 

• Like 1

I love Unite Blonda (smells like grapes) but they don't make product in bar form.  Also like Luseta purple (sulfate free) but also not available in bar form. Both brands prevent my blonde-brown color-processed hair from turning brassy/copper-y.

Wow, so many answers for this rather niche question!  First, thanks to all for your help.  

- I haven't tried Clariol Shimmer, but I think the Walmart brand I prefer is the store knock-off.  I looked it up on Amazon, and the bottles look the same.  

- I'll look up John Frieda too.  I'm okay if the shampoo costs a bit more; I'm wearing my hair shorter now, so I use less.  

- Ditto for Ulta Blonde.  

- Ethique was the bar-brand I saw on Amazon.  I've never used the brand myself, and I'm glad to hear it's good.  

- My goal at this moment is to find a bar for travel -- though I'm not opposed to upping my everyday game.  

While we're on the topic, do y'all use purple shampoo every day?  I've read online that you're supposed to use them just every 2nd or 3rd day, but I'm wondering if that's good advice or not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Wow, so many answers for this rather niche question!  First, thanks to all for your help.  

- I haven't tried Clariol Shimmer, but I think the Walmart brand I prefer is the store knock-off.  I looked it up on Amazon, and the bottles look the same.  

- I'll look up John Frieda too.  I'm okay if the shampoo costs a bit more; I'm wearing my hair shorter now, so I use less.  

- Ditto for Ulta Blonde.  

- Ethique was the bar-brand I saw on Amazon.  I've never used the brand myself, and I'm glad to hear it's good.  

- My goal at this moment is to find a bar for travel -- though I'm not opposed to upping my everyday game.  

While we're on the topic, do y'all use purple shampoo every day?  I've read online that you're supposed to use them just every 2nd or 3rd day, but I'm wondering if that's good advice or not. 

No, I don’t use it everyday.  I use it on a need basis.

I found ethique on Walmart, they have a three bar sample set for $13 which looks perfect for a two week trip I have coming up early next year.  

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No, I don’t use it everyday.  I use it on a need basis.

I found ethique on Walmart, they have a three bar sample set for $13 which looks perfect for a two week trip I have coming up early next year.  

Oh, great!  I looked for the bars yesterday, but I was at the smaller Neighborhood Walmart, which mostly sells groceries; their health and beauty section is small.  I bet I'd find the bars if I go to the larger SuperWalmart. 

Thanks!  

Just a word of caution….

if your hair is very porous (as my gray hair is), you may wind up with a lavender strip or patch if you leave the purple shampoo on too long. My stylist recommends maybe once or twice a month and then use more often if needed. 
k

36 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Oh, great!  I looked for the bars yesterday, but I was at the smaller Neighborhood Walmart, which mostly sells groceries; their health and beauty section is small.  I bet I'd find the bars if I go to the larger SuperWalmart. 

Thanks!  

Oops, Walmart online. 

59 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- Ditto for Ulta Blonde.  

I wash my hair every 2-3 days and use purple shampoo every 2nd or 3rd wash. I don't leave the shampoo on, but do leave the conditioner for a couple of minutes.

My hair is naturally light blonde - highlighted to be lighter (especially in summer), and to blend in the grey at the front. I've never had any discolouration using purple shampoo. But it definitely pulls red if I don't use purple shampoo at least once in a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

Just a word of caution….

if your hair is very porous (as my gray hair is), you may wind up with a lavender strip or patch if you leave the purple shampoo on too long. My stylist recommends maybe once or twice a month and then use more often if needed. 
k

I guess mine's not porous because I'm not having any trouble with that -- but if I use regular shampoo alone for a while, I definitely see an ugly brassy-yellow (nothing near a pretty blonde, which wouldn't mesh with my dark brown + gray highlights anyway) around my face, where I have more gray.  

38 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Oops, Walmart online. 

Oh, that makes a difference.  

I'm still going to try SuperWalmart -- they do have a great selection.  

32 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I wash my hair every 2-3 days and use purple shampoo every 2nd or 3rd wash. I don't leave the shampoo on, but do leave the conditioner for a couple of minutes.

My hair is naturally light blonde - highlighted to be lighter (especially in summer), and to blend in the grey at the front. I've never had any discolouration using purple shampoo. But it definitely pulls red if I don't use purple shampoo at least once in a while. 

Funny how everyone's different.  I don't get any red.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Funny how everyone's different.  I don't get any red.  

I think it really depends on what you or the colourist uses when they do hair. And your underlying colour. My underlying colour is neither ash or golden - it's something in between. I've had some colourists who want to put more golden in my hair, and that's when it pulls red. And when I used to use L'oreal at home, it always would turn brassy. 

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- Ditto for Ulta Blonde.  

I use once per week

19 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Ethique sells purple bar shampoo and conditioner. I haven't used them myself, but I've been really happy with their other products. 

I was just going to say exactly this!

To travel I cut off a small piece and put it into a small mesh soap bag I go from Amazon - this makes it foam up really well. I then put that into a Matador soap pouch to pack. 

3 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

I was just going to say exactly this!

To travel I cut off a small piece and put it into a small mesh soap bag I go from Amazon - this makes it foam up really well. I then put that into a Matador soap pouch to pack. 

The Matador soap pouches are miraculous! I use one for my body wash bar for the pool, and it dries, doesn't get gross, and doesn't leave my toiletry kit damp.