Jewel balcony view down to water obstructed by tug boats?

Posted (edited)

Hi. We are thinking of booking a cruise in the Jewel next February. I know the rescue tugs are very important for our safety, but am just wondering if I should book a balcony room further forward or back. I like to look down at the water & waves & often on cruise ships, the tug boats stick out & I can’t look straight down to the water. Anyone know how it is on NCL Jewel? If I’ll look down at the rug, I’ll just move further forward or backwards, but the middle is ideal if not obstructed. Thank you!!! 

Edited by Ericaleighjackson

Posted (edited)

Life boats on Jewel Class ships are stored on the ceiling of Deck 7 along the Promenade Deck and you can literally walk under them safely.  They do not obstruct views as on the newer ships.

Edited by www3traveler
add words for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, you mean lifeboats not rescue tugs. The view down to the water will be ever changing...one day might be a pier, one day could be the ocean. But you don't need a balcony to look down to the water. Just go out on the open public promenade deck. On this deck, the lifeboats will now be above you so your view won't be obstructed anymore. Have fun!

Here is a fairly recent drone video of the Norwegian Jewel by Cho Barry.   The daylight filming starts at 4:50.

There are lots of YouTube videos with tours of the Jewel and her sister ships Pearl, Jade and Gem.  Here is one by Twosome Travellers.  Their stateroom is one of the hull or privasea balconies. 

Here is a comprehensive Jewel regular bacony tour done by EECC Travels in partnership with NCL

We love the Jewel class ships 🙂

10 hours ago, Ericaleighjackson said:

Hi. We are thinking of booking a cruise in the Jewel next February. I know the rescue tugs are very important for our safety, but am just wondering if I should book a balcony room further forward or back. I like to look down at the water & waves & often on cruise ships, the tug boats stick out & I can’t look straight down to the water. Anyone know how it is on NCL Jewel? If I’ll look down at the rug, I’ll just move further forward or backwards, but the middle is ideal if not obstructed. Thank you!!! 

Go up a few threads to a posting from Texas Tech.  He is on The Pearl and has just posted picture on Page 95 of the Promenade Deck and you can see how the lifeboats are stored. 

On 6/23/2024 at 5:54 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

In embarkation port: "Will this tugboat be under my balcony all cruise long?":classic_biggrin:

I sure hope so!😮

They start launching lifeboats I'm straight to customer service demanding a refund!

Edited by Brian V
  • Haha 3