Queen Anne Norwegian Fjords — H415

MylesS

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Personally I love all the paper copies which I keep and look at over the years. My husband was vaguely peeved that they no longer deliver Britain Today unless asked for. But obviously they should give the choice. It is just that everything is so much easier to read if it is on paper. We found the menus arrived after breakfast not the night before, though having them then is useful for people who need to make adjustments, like a low salt version.

I do too. I take a new plastic popper style A4 folder with me  for each cruise and keep them all plus anything else useful. Like you it’s interesting to look back at them. Settled a family dispute once on the closing time for Golden Lion on a certain day on QE 🚢😂 by going and looking through an old folder. 

37 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

...Evening menus are available in the restaurant menu in the morning. Why do you also need them the night before? 

Cruise companies have a terrible environmental footprint. They could at least do a little something to try to improve it...

We have the following day's menus on our table at dinner as some 'specials' are ordered the night before so it helps to know what the following day's menu is. I would imagine the paper is recycled and if not, I'm sure someone who knows better than I, will be along to tell us if it isn't.

Take a tour of the galleys. Then you'll see how much care is taken to reduce as much as possible, the impact waste has on the environment.

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have the following day's menus on our table at dinner as some 'specials' are ordered the night before so it helps to know what the following day's menu is. I would imagine the paper is recycled and if not, I'm sure someone who knows better than I, will be along to tell us if it isn't.

Take a tour of the galleys. Then you'll see how much care is taken to reduce as much as possible, the impact waste has on the environment.

It p most likely is recycled - but it’s still much better to use less!! Paper is very energy and water inefficient in its manufacture - paper single use grocery bags are actually worse overall than plastic ones - just seem better! 

I’m sure Cunard could reduce usage considerably - I’d take the program electronically and not get the paper one…

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

It p most likely is recycled - but it’s still much better to use less!! Paper is very energy and water inefficient in its manufacture - paper single use grocery bags are actually worse overall than plastic ones - just seem better! 

I’m sure Cunard could reduce usage considerably - I’d take the program electronically and not get the paper one…

I'm pretty sure one day and maybe soon, electronics will take over, possibly as an item on the television along with other ship's information but until then, I, and many, many others will go with paper onboard Cunard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

And what are the costs of doing it all electronically? And the chances of it all suddenly vanishing? 

Productive, speedy morning today! The weather a little grey and wet, but nothing too bad.

Our new cruise cards worked first time at security this morning, so no having to get them replaced like last time. However, unfortunately security kept our old cards - even when we asked to keep them as souvenirs we were refused.

There was a dedicated gangway for in transit guests so we didn’t interfere with the main disembarkation process. This is why I’m glad I received a daily programme last night, otherwise I’d have missed this.

A nice 20 minute walk to the local McDonalds (I know) - to download some shows and a quick breakfast.

Returning to the ship our new cabin was ready (super great service, cabin ready and everything moved by 10:30) - we when spent some time in the whirlpool.

I’m now lounging around waiting for the muster stations to be open so I can scan my new card. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I’m now lounging around waiting for the muster stations to be open so I can scan my new card. 

I am waiting to get on, as a new passenger. Do we not get a new thread here on CC as well as new key card? We're now H416 Northern Europe and Scandinavia.

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I am waiting to get on, as a new passenger. Do we not get a new thread here on CC as well as new key card? We're now H416 Northern Europe and Scandinavia.

I’m happy to make a new thread! 

Hope you have a smooth embarkation and a great cruise 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

And what are the costs of doing it all electronically? And the chances of it all suddenly vanishing? 

Cost electronically? As near as damn it zero. 

I’m not saying do it all electronically…yet.  Just at least give the option to save some of the mountains of paper. 

7 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Did you have to get off after H415? 

In my case I just had to scan out with the old cruise card and scan in with the new one.

I chose to have an hour ashore and come back on, but not much is open (as expected, not an issue) 

It’s nice to walk around an almost empty ship though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

There are some fabulous software packages to be had for newsletters/papers and the cost would be minuscule in the scheme of readership. 

Whatever, for a paper edition you need someone to prepare edit then print. That same person could manage an electronic edition would be wonderful on the app, so efficient without all the cost of paper wastage and the inks used. These packages allow readership numbers to be monitored, and have instant update facilities.

I am not a youngster, but a retiree and all for looking forward and being as “green” as possible.

• Like 1

Anyway that was a great cruise. A 4.5 star review is in the pipeline…

(I know you can’t do 4.5 so I will give it a 5 to counter the gloominess)

Half star lost because of entertainment - expected theatre shows to run more than just second night, and only one of the two shows was put on in Bright Lights. And there’s NEVER a talk about the ship; it’s brand new - why not?

That’s about it…

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

There are some fabulous software packages to be had for newsletters/papers and the cost would be minuscule in the scheme of readership. 

Whatever, for a paper edition you need someone to prepare edit then print. That same person could manage an electronic edition would be wonderful on the app, so efficient without all the cost of paper wastage and the inks used. These packages allow readership numbers to be monitored, and have instant update facilities.

I am not a youngster, but a retiree and all for looking forward and being as “green” as possible.

The daily programme IS on the “app”. Be quite happy to tick a box saying no to printed programme. As a shareholder those inks can’t be cheap. 

As for the little Tiptree pots. So wasteful! 

I know we are not very green going cruising but doesn’t mean Cunard can’t try to be a little greener…

Edited by buchanan101

12 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Cost electronically? As near as damn it zero. 

I’m not saying do it all electronically…yet.  Just at least give the option to save some of the mountains of paper. 

Once you’ve factored in the cost of the equipment. A phone is much more expensive than reading glasses. I read somewhere that emails had surprisingly high costs.

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Once you’ve factored in the cost of the equipment. A phone is much more expensive than reading glasses. I read somewhere that emails had surprisingly high costs.

What equipment? Most people have smartphones now - that’s a sunk cost so cost = $0 for most.  Not saying get rid of paper, give the option

The cost of an email is minute - it’s a bit of server energy, but as long as the world allows the nonsense  of mining bit-coin I will take the cost of emails. A tiny tiny fraction of paper production, transport  and recycling.. 

Edited by buchanan101
Clarification

Just now, buchanan101 said:

What equipment? Most people have smartphones now. Not saying get rid of paper, give the option

The cost of an email is minute - it’s a bit of server energy, but as long as the world allows the nonsense  of mining bit-coin I will take the cost of emails. A tiny tiny fraction of paper production, transport  and recycling.. 

Well, I do now have one, but only because it was more or less forced on me during Covid. However I almost never use it. I hate that small field of vision, it makes scanning something so difficult. An iPad is better, but still harder to absorb from than a large sheet of paper.

5 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

What equipment? Most people have smartphones now - that’s a sunk cost so cost = $0 for most.  Not saying get rid of paper, give the option

Would have been interesting to do a quick poll of passengers on the second cruise to see the percentage of smart phone users.

I suspect it wouldn't have been 'most'. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Would have been interesting to do a quick poll of passengers on the second cruise to see the percentage of smart phone users.

I suspect it wouldn't have been 'most'. 🙂

I’d put money on it being over half. But we won’t know… 

70%+ of over 65s… though we’d need a further breakdown of the over 65s given Cunard demographics! 

IMG_6669.jpeg

Edited by buchanan101
Graph

Just now, buchanan101 said:

I’d put money on it being over half. But we won’t know… 

'Over half' could be anything from 51% upwards. Hardly most but you're quite right, we will never know just as Cunard can't assume most their passengers are 'smart' so have to be able to accommodate the 'unsmart'! 🙂

Can't be doing with any Cunard 'app' onboard but thought the info on the [QA] television was very useful.

Just now, Victoria2 said:

'Over half' could be anything from 51% upwards. Hardly most but you're quite right, we will never know just as Cunard can't assume most their passengers are 'smart' so have to be able to accommodate the 'unsmart'! 🙂

Can't be doing with any Cunard 'app' onboard but thought the info on the [QA] television was very useful.

Yes, so give the option… never said get rid of paper 

There could be more use of the TV, but was unimpressed by the picture quality of live TV. It was shockingly poor.. a waste of a good TV.