Bringing non-alcoholic drinks

FAQ says "carry on only". 

So why bother if as you say you would have to sneak it on and maybe get called to naughty room if it got accepted at all. People on carnival abused it so much carnival changed to cans only. I dont get why not just carry it on as the rules say. I used to maybe throw a few cans of soda in my carry on, never was a big deal to me. But I never tried 12 packs. So I probably just dont get it. In good with their sugar free flavored water though lol. 

10 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

If I slap a luggage tag on the 12-pack and check it with the luggage, the container might not survive. I could wrap it up, but then I might have to go to the "naughty room" to get it. I never had to deal with the naughty room, so I'm not sure if it's a big deal.

I understand now. I thought you were saying that they wouldn't survive IN the luggage. I see what you mean by putting a tag on it and it's the luggage itself.

12 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I know! I can't believe how hard it is when the ship doesn't have a freestyle machine. We used to use Crystal Lite packets when we first started cruising. I don't think they give you a freestyle cup on ships without a machine.

It's the lack of a cup that is causing this issue ? You use the freestyle machines on most of your cruises ... You never saved a cup you could bring from home ? ... Or bring along an extra water bottle ?

Cheers

12 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I know! I can't believe how hard it is when the ship doesn't have a freestyle machine. We used to use Crystal Lite packets when we first started cruising. I don't think they give you a freestyle cup on ships without a machine.

I believe that you can go to any bar and ask for the freestyle cups "if you purchased at least the soda package", even if your ship does not have any freestyle machines cause you can have them refilled at any bar on board. You won't get a cup without the purchase of one of the packages.

I am very happy carrying an insulated bottle with a straw lid that doesn't spill. I can't count the number of times I tucked that RC soda cup into what I thought was a secure pocket and spilled it all over my tote bag! Mine is also bigger and better insulated. Plus I know which one is mine because it doesn't look like every other cup on every table. 

If your objective is to have some non-carbonated beverages without sugar, I really think the smart play is to bring a good water bottle and some of what we in our house call "water helper." To be honest, I think the ship's water tastes great and half the time I don't even add my water helper to my ice water. Lugging a case of beverages around at boarding sounds like a drag.