Classic Arcade Games on Allure???

I have a client whose son is severly autistic and wants them on his cruise.  They have always done Freedom, which has the classic games of PacMan, etc., but now they would either need to go on Utopia or Allure.  Does anyone know if they do indeed have the classic games on Allure?  They are basing their cruise choice on this.  I know there is MUCH more than this on a ship, so don't flame me.  This is their choice.  Thanks.

24 minutes ago, jrljel said:

Does anyone know if they do indeed have the classic games on Allure?

You may need to search for videos of the game room walk through to see if that is the case. Even if it's there, there's no guarantee it will be working during the sailing.

If you are really thinking of classic they might want to bring their own unit and hook up to TV.  I've seen a fair number of the immersion (pod-type) games on ships and they might be too intense for your client's son.  And arcade can be either loud or quiet with inop machines.

Around $55 for Nintendo, and $79 for Atari on Amazon.  These new consoles include hundreds of old games and can connect to modern HDMI TV connectors.

Given the specific case, I'd advise if they choose to go this route they try out the system ahead of time to ensure it has the games they want and they work as expected and the client likes the controller. 

These systems can be enjoyable, but many will way over promise what they deliver.  I have one that has at least five of the same game on it (they claim some 100s of games but what it actually has is a smaller list that they keep repeating to get to that number, so it's not that many unique games).  They generally won't allow saves either, but this isn't a problem with classics like Pac-Man.  (The actual NES Classic or SNES Classic are far better in these regards, but also much more expensive now).

As long as what they get has the specific games they want and a controller they like, this can be a great option, but it's definitely worth trying before getting on the ship to make sure they don't get surprised.

16 hours ago, LeeW said:

Around $55 for Nintendo, and $79 for Atari on Amazon.  These new consoles include hundreds of old games and can connect to modern HDMI TV connectors.

Are you talking console emulators, or something that runs classic arcade game emulators? Because these are 2 very different things. The OP is looking for specific classic arcade games. the old Atari Pac-Man is absolutely not the same thing. I do not recall if there was a Nintendo Pac-Man for their gaming system.

I used to download and maintain a MAME library and played a number of classic arcade games on my computer. It was fun for a while. WOuld have loved to have built a freestandign MAME cabinet with arcade machine controls. Anyway, this was an emulator that used actual arcade machine ROM chips that had been read and converted into a file. Anything that is not using the actual arcade machine ROMs is not the same thing, regardless of how similar the game play is.

Posted (edited)

I was on Allure a couple of months ago- I can't say there weren't any classics but there certainly weren't many- if anything maybe just a combined Galaga - Ms. PacMan unit.   There is a small arcade on the Boardwalk also but it didn't have much of anything.  

However as someone else pointed out, there is no guarantee that whatever is there will be working.  Their arcades aren't really well maintained (probably due to difficulty in getting the specialized labor to conduct repairs).  And of course if it is broken on day 1, it will be broken for the entire cruise.

It is sad that recent and future generations will never know what we had back in the 80's... hitting the arcade at the local mall with a pocket full of quarters was literally the high point of the week.  I can't imagine any kid feeling that way today about a bunch of crappy redemption games that are over instantly and might earn you a crappy prize worth a buck or two for every $100 you spend.

Edited by irun5k
  • Like 1